4K Android TV Shield Gaming Console is here

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
B_JZSagUQAA1xoH.jpg:large

Nvidia is holding their presser at MWC where they announced their new Nvidia Shield that is the world's first 4K Android TV console. The announced price is $199 and availability to be announced soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
available in may, $199 includes game controller, also GRID game streaming subscription service will launch simultaneously

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
wait what?.... I think I'm gonna need this

Nvidia is really stepping up lately. I like everything they are doing, and I used to hate them after their 3dfx merger/fiasco in the early 2000's

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When this story broke last night we were still awaiting some information from Nvidia press conference. We now have the spec sheet.

• Nvidia Tegra X1 processor with 256 maxwell core GPU and 3 gigs of Ram
  • 4K Ultra HD ready with 4K playback and capture up to 60 fps (VP9, H265, H264)
  • 7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass through over HDMI
  • 16 GB storage
  • 802.11ac 2x2 MIMO 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1/BLE
  • Gigabit Ethernet, HDMI 2.0, Two USB 3.0 (Type A), Micro-USB 2.0, MicroSD slot (supports 128GB cards), IR Receiver (compatible with Logitech Harmony)
  • NVIDIA GRID streaming service, NVIDIA GameStream™

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am buying this.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Looks awesome. This will be my 4th streaming device. I think I need a few more TV's...

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
$60. for a second controller.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I may look into this too. The streaming game service sounds interesting too. I'd like to compare Dying Light on my PS4 to the streaming version on this to see how it really compares. I have a hard time buying games on the PS4 because I'm not sure if I'll like them. Being able to stream a game at a subscription cost is a big thing for me so I'm not wasting money on something I may never play.

The hardest part of maybe getting one is my wife. We already have two Chromecast and a Roku. We do have 3 TVs so it isn't hard to spread the 'love' around, but this is really interesting. Plus the whole Android TV thing. We'll see....we'll see.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Could one stream current PC games not owned or installed locally using this?

Actually, nevermind. Since Halo 5 Guardians isn't coming to PC, this question has no meaning to me now.

Still, very intrigued none the less.

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
Honestly, I was expecting something a bit more exciting than this. It's another TV box, but this one has a subscription service attached to it. I currently have a decent gaming rig, a couple of Raspberry Pi's, a Chromecast, a Nexus 7, a laptop, and a console grade SteamOS Linux box; so this doesn't really appeal to me. However, I had debated on consolidating a bit for the Razer Forge TV: Razer Forge TV - Android Gaming in Your Living Room as this would be a great AIO game streaming and video streaming box.

Of course, I suppose it's all about what you want. I hope this does well for them.

Microsoft Wireless Controller for Xbox One S2V-00001 - Best Buy

Sounds about right since look like all they did was copy Xbox's controller. Literally looks like they grabbed one from a game store, removed the X, and put their emblem on it.

The Xbox 360 (and soon to be XB1) controller is probably the most copied controller of all time. However, where they really deviate is with the symmetrical sticks (a la Dualshock) instead of the staggered sticks. I'm really looking forward to Valve's Steam controller to see what that has to offer.

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I'm waiting for the Steam Box. It is coming in November I believe. I have an enormous collection of games on there and would love to have it playing from my 60".

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Honestly, I was expecting something a bit more exciting than this. It's another TV box, but this one has a subscription service attached to it. I currently have a decent gaming rig, a couple of Raspberry Pi's, a Chromecast, a Nexus 7, a laptop, and a console grade SteamOS Linux box; so this doesn't really appeal to me. However, I had debated on consolidating a bit for the Razer Forge TV: Razer Forge TV - Android Gaming in Your Living Room as this would be a great AIO game streaming and video streaming box.

Of course, I suppose it's all about what you want. I hope this does well for them.

I think this may appeal more to people like me who not quite ready to invest in a ps4 or Xbox one because they just do not play games enough to justify the cost but cut the cord so set top streaming boxes are for us. I hear what you are saying in that there are probably alternates out there that either perform up to par or better but may not get the pub. Thing is we have not heard of those names now hopefully we get a chance to see some head to head reviews giving the community exposure to where we are at as far as capabilities. But I know for me having a chomecast and nexus player I am ready to retire them both for this because I still can use this to cast, but unlike the nexus player I can use a 1gig ethernet and microsd expandable storage. Plus I can enjoy a game every now and then as I am not a hardcore gamer or even one who play others online so for me a game here or there is enough for me,