4Glte and wifi on simultaneously?

jkidd16

Reaction score
First, I have my 4G lte on. Then I turn on my wifi. After those two actions, i have BOTH the wifi and 4g symbols on my status bar, followed by the 5 signal bars. Does this mean that my 4g is still on while my wifi is on? Cuz when i had my droid 2 global, the 3g symbol wud go away and be replaced with the wifi symbol. I just want to make sure that 4g is turned off when i turn my wifi on so i dont use up more battery than im supposed to.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Trash Can

Reaction score
What you are describing is normal. However, you 4G radio is still on, but data is (should) be coming through your WiFi connection. This would be indicated by a blue WiFi symbol and white 4G/LTE/signal bars. You can save some battery by setting up a Smart Action to disable cellular data when connected to a WiFi connection. If you choose to do this, please be aware the you cannot send/receive MMS messages (until you re-enable cell data), but SMS messages should work normally.

pinoy_92

Reaction score
it will take on more battery if you leave both of it on. what i would recommend is to set up a smart action that will turn off mobile data when connected to wifi.

this is what mine looks like:

Name: Wifi
triggers: wifi connection
actions: cellular data disable

OP
jkidd16

jkidd16

Reaction score
oh yeah thank you guys. That was exactly what I did a lil while after I made this post.

robcdavis14

Reaction score
I also used smart action to turn off 4g when wifi is on, but 4g doesnt turn back on when wifi is off. does anybody know how to do that

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
What you are describing is normal. However, you 4G radio is still on, but data is (should) be coming through your WiFi connection. This would be indicated by a blue WiFi symbol and white 4G/LTE/signal bars. You can save some battery by setting up a Smart Action to disable cellular data when connected to a WiFi connection. If you choose to do this, please be aware the you cannot send/receive MMS messages (until you re-enable cell data), but SMS messages should work normally.

Very nice explanation!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

mike770

Reaction score
I also used smart action to turn off 4g when wifi is on, but 4g doesnt turn back on when wifi is off. does anybody know how to do that

Does anyone have a solutions for this? ^

The reason I ask is that I have a Smart Action set up when "Home" to shut off cellular data and just use wifi. This is fine however when I walk my dog, since I am still within the general area of my house it does not turn 4g LTE back even though I lost connection to my wifi.

Any suggestions?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Does anyone have a solutions for this? ^

The reason I ask is that I have a Smart Action set up when "Home" to shut off cellular data and just use wifi. This is fine however when I walk my dog, since I am still within the general area of my house it does not turn 4g LTE back even though I lost connection to my wifi.

Any suggestions?

This issue with 4G not restoring itself is one we all battle with at times. I use a widget called Data Enabler Widget, which shuts off 4G when you press it, and then turns it back on when you press it again. I've found it to be effective in resolving the 4G not reactivating on its own. There are others like it but at least for me, this has been most successful.