4G

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by letsroc1, Jan 25, 2010.

1. letsroc1

letsroc1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When is Verizon going to get 4G??

2. coolkidd

coolkidd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First, they need to have a 4G capable handset... as long as they do not advertise 4G phones, it will be a while before the 4G (aka LTE) gets here.

3. DROIDMASTER

DROIDMASTER Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Rumour says end of this year... I doubt it, I believe verizon will waste too much money building these towers anyway and phones capable of these really high speed towers

4. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Not any time soon. For starters 4G is not really available yet (i.e. there are no devices (towers or cells) that meet the actual standards of "4G." What Sprint is calling 4G really isn't (and falls WAY short of the actual accepted 4G standards). Sprint has had to resort to this for marketing purposes (essentially it's a 'hail mary' marketing attempt to bring them market share). The current time-frame for production of LTE-A devices (still a pre-4G tech not true 4G is not until at least 2011).

Even after the technology is in place (i.e. developers can make the devices) there are a LOT of MAJOR things they have to have in place before they can even think about implementing it. First above all they need a LOTTTT of devices (we're talking 10,000s of modules to put onto their towers). Then they need the manpower to update all their towers.... and on and on.

If your interested:
    4G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#4 KZIWarrior, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  5. jimnutt

jimnutt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sprint is using WiMax for 4G, which is similar to long range WiFi. Both Verizon and AT&T are going to LTE for 4G (as will T-Mobile most likely). All the 4G technologies are basically moving to VOIP for voice calls which could make things interesting.

6. vegasdroid

vegasdroid New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    From talking to someone I know that works for Verizon, they will be launching 4G here in Las Vegas sometime between April and June. They have already tested it in Boston and Seattle, and will be rolling it out over the rest of the country over the next two to three years, so it will be rolling out very soon in some locations. The next big question is, when will they be offering any phones that can use 4G. Right now Sprints 4G is used almost exclusively for laptops and net books, and not for phones.

7. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
  8. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +83
    I've been trying to say that for awhile... so +1 for you.

Secondly verizon techs and others i've talked to in the verizon ranks have stated the time frame of 2010-2013. They said most likely with first implementation around the end of 2010, which is ONLY for users who have aircards, and devices of the like. So cell phone users won't see a 4g network on verizon until 2011 at the earliest, unless they are ahead of schedule. So far i haven't seen any phone from verizon that offer 4g yet so, they will have to roll those out, you should see these come out shortly before they "plan" to implement the 4g.

9. JGard

JGard New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So basically what you're saying is...enjoy your Droid now and when your new every 2 is ready, 4G very well could be here, and if it's not, it'll be close :)

Search tags for this page

does cookeville tn have 4g

is cookeville 4g now

sprint 4g lte in cookeville

when is sprint 4g coming to cookeville

will cookeville tn have 4g in