4g

grgguy

Reaction score
Yes I was gonna ask for a screen shot , do so with google maps "showing current location" at the Carls on Yosemite and L.A.. Oh and make sure it's a Verizon Phone !

Last edited:

grgguy

Reaction score
I see whats going on now. Well "stonecoldliar" you should have never opened your mouth .Now its plain to see all your posts about your phones supposed speeds are made up. Look buddy you dont need to lie to kick it in a forum that's the beauty of them, complete annominity. I'm sorry to have exposed you . But regardless of any screen shot you may post, Simi does not have 4g/LTE yet !

Your name isn't Wanye by chance

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thread closed, I see we can't keep this civil here.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Hail

Reaction score
I live in extended network and I'm beginning to think 4g is better than extended! !!! The reason I say is because I went 6 hours on extended network with moderate use and battery discharged to 70%.... on 4g now for 10 hours with moderate usage I'm still pumping 30%.... guess I need to move to 4g area

Straight off my hip from the Maxx

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I live in extended network and I'm beginning to think 4g is better than extended! !!! The reason I say is because I went 6 hours on extended network with moderate use and battery discharged to 70%.... on 4g now for 10 hours with moderate usage I'm still pumping 30%.... guess I need to move to 4g area

Which makes complete sense if you understand how the extended network works. Long range directional antennas project the signal out beyond the fringe of the Standard 4G network. This gets the 4G signal out to phones well beyond the normal range of standard 4G towers. This leaves only one problem. The cell phone has to get the return signal back to that tower and since the cell phone doesn't project the signal directionally, it's only option is to increase output power...which consumes more battery power.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Hail

Reaction score
FoxKat said:
Which makes complete sense if you understand how the extended network works. Long range directional antennas project the signal out beyond the fringe of the 4G network. This gets the 4G signal out to phones well beyond the normal range of standard 4G towers. This leaves only one problem. The cell phone had to get the return signal back to that tower and since the cell phone doesn't project the signal directionally, it's only option is to increase output power...which consumes more battery power.

Ok even if extended is a 3g network? Keep 5 bars and 3g at the house!!!! With that said, feel bad for dumping on Verizon about my thunderbolt ... oh, well gotta RAZR maxx outta it!!!!

Droid101

Reaction score
Which makes complete sense if you understand how the extended network works. Long range directional antennas project the signal out beyond the fringe of the 4G network. This gets the 4G signal out to phones well beyond the normal range of standard 4G towers. This leaves only one problem. The cell phone has to get the return signal back to that tower and since the cell phone doesn't project the signal directionally, it's only option is to increase output power...which consumes more battery power.

Well said!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Hail

Reaction score
Droid101 said:
Well said!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Get off his wood!!!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Ok even if extended is a 3g network? Keep 5 bars and 3g at the house!!!! With that said, feel bad for dumping on Verizon about my thunderbolt ... oh, well gotta RAZR maxx outta it!!!!

I am not sure what you meant by that statement above, but ANY extended network is likely to use more phone power than a comparable standard network connection due to the phone having to work harder to get the transmission signal to reach back to the tower. SO if it's 3G or 4G, if it's in the extended range it's most likely going to cause the phone to increase Milliwatt (MW) output.

On a side note, I used to get 4G all the way to the entrance to my Cul-de-sac, but not to my house about 100 yards deeper in. Just yesterday I discovered I now have 4G in my house, but it's weak - 2 or 3 bars at best. So, Verizon must have either tweaked the directions of nearby Standard 4G towers, or have tweaked or extended the ranges of the Extended 4G network to now cover me. So I'm exactly in your boat. Yesterday with 4G turned on, my phone was dead by 4PM. Today it was dead again by about the same time of day, and even with a wall adapter AND a portable backup battery I wasn't able to get it above 50% while using it.

So I may be turning off 4G altogether until I get a tower in my back yard - so to speak.

Update: Just checked the coverage map and they did extend the 4G Extended network to cover well past my home. http://network4g.verizonwireless.com/#!/coverage

Last edited: