4G / Wifi Problem a known issue? (Verizon)

Grimes

Reaction score
same problem here

I registered just so I could chime in also...I have the same damn problem with my wifi at home. My old DroidX works great on the wifi network. I am running a DLink router, with WPA2 (personal), AES enabled, on a fixed channel, 802.11 G only (no a, b, or n).

The Razr refuses to fully load web pages, and just times out sometimes. However, if I run a speedtest.net ap, I will get blazing speeds (pretty much max out the cable internet connection).

Fix it motorola!!!

Otherwise, the phone is really great. I hope they address this issue.

Parzec

Reaction score
When WiFi is active *AND* connected 4G is disabled.
If they were both active, which one should the phone use???????

It defaults to wifi which is a problem for me in my cabin where I have a wireless network strickly for media sharing but no internet gateway on that network, because there is no wired internet. So if I try to use media sharing on my razr and turn on wifi, it is too dumb to use wifi just for media share, while still using 3g or 4g for internet data. Instead it hopelessly expects to find internet on a wireless network with no internet gateway. Brilliant programming, Motorola.

Sent from my DROID RAZR maxx from Droid Forums

Sox

Reaction score
I just want to chime in and say that I just bought 2 MAXX's (one for me, one for my gf) and that my MAXX's wifi was working just fine earlier tonight until I updated to the 6.12.181 software version. I was running the old .173 earlier tonight while my gf's phone was on the .181. Her phone's wifi wasn't working, so I went tinkering with both of them and updated my own phone. Now both phone's wifi do not work (the wifi logo turns blue briefly when enabled, but cannot perform basic google searches or anything else). The 4g LTE works fine if wifi is disabled, but what's the point if you have limited data?

Any solutions and/or workarounds would be appreciated. I've done some digging on the internet but I've only see a few people with this problem and no solutions.

Update: I went to the Verizon store to get the problem checked and re-created so I could trade in my phones for replacements. Lo and behold a Motorola engineer stopped by (we were there past closing time) and he took pictures of my settings and seemed very interested. He said that the wifi connectivity drop thing was not a known issue and he was intrigued that 2 phones purchased from 2 different locations ended up with the same issue. I'm going to chalk it up to a bad batch since the only thing related about the phones was their make and time (not place) of purchase.

Anyways, I got my phones replaced and the wifi works fine for both phones. In my opinion if you can, just replace the phones as Motorola is not aware of the issue and there is no easy fix without getting into router configs and rooting.

Swannyva

Reaction score
I stumbled onto this thread, RH434, research my NEXT phone. I've had this problem with my HTC Droid Incredible for 18 months - having to turn Wi-fi off in order to send an email message. I checked many forums early on, with no luck, so I lived with it. After reading Fox's recommendation, I compared my ISP settings between Outlook and the Incredible and noticed that my SMTP ports were different (25 on the Droid, 2525 in Outlook). I changed the Droid, sent a test message, and it worked! I'm using my own url with email hosted by Network Solutions - it seems to be a vanilla POP3 setup.

I hope you were able to get a resolution to your problem, but this thread just made my day!
Thanks.
John:biggrin:

mikedbq

Reaction score
I just want to chime in and say that I just bought 2 MAXX's (one for me, one for my gf) and that my MAXX's wifi was working just fine earlier tonight until I updated to the 6.12.181 software version. I was running the old .173 earlier tonight while my gf's phone was on the .181. Her phone's wifi wasn't working, so I went tinkering with both of them and updated my own phone. Now both phone's wifi do not work (the wifi logo turns blue briefly when enabled, but cannot perform basic google searches or anything else). The 4g LTE works fine if wifi is disabled, but what's the point if you have limited data?

Any solutions and/or workarounds would be appreciated. I've done some digging on the internet but I've only see a few people with this problem and no solutions.

I just recently got the Droid Bionic for my father-in-law for his birthday. Great phone ... except the fact that the wifi never worked. Sure, it would connect to the router. It would tell me that I was connected but no data. Just "webpage not responding" messages in the browser. So I figured, maybe it was an issue with the security. I tried all variations on my Belkin wireless N router, even turning security off for a while ... no avail. I then took the phone back to my house, where all my other Android devices get on my Dlink Wireless N router. Same thing ... just gray bars when in Wifi. Disable the wifi, 4g comes back, bam ... data is back! But not through wifi. I repeat this pattern at two other locations and get the same results. All 4 locations were using WPA2 TKIP. And I tried disabling the security at each location. No change.

Called Amazon Wireless and told them the whole story. They assumed that it was defective. They were out of stock of the Bionic, so I had to choose an equally valued phone from what they had in stock. The Droid Razr 4G was the closest thing. The Razr exhibited the exact same behavior! Grrr!

I then called Amazon Wireless. They forwarded me to Verizon. They forwarded me to Motorola. Went through level 1 tech support pretty quick. Got to level 2. After 90 minutes with level 2, they passed me on to level 3, which they said that I would be contacted within 24-48 hours. It's been 96 hours. No contact. I'm assuming they don't call on weekends so my hopes are high for this Monday.

So I start doing some searching around on the internet to get a few ideas.

Idea #1 ... I'll use my sprint smartphone and turn on the wifi hotspot to see if that works. Guess what ... no problem ... It works! I get wifi data through my other smart phone! The wifi bars on the Droid Razr 4G turn blue instead of the gray from my standard router based networks. Interesting! But confusion ensues because my sprint phone is using the FoxFi app with WPA2 with TKIP security activated, just like the four routers I tried. This tells me it has nothing to do with the type of security being used.

Idea #2 ... I'll check to see if there are any phone updates that has perhaps fixed this problem. There are TWO updates to download. The first one goes from Gingerbread 2.3.5 to 2.3.6. No difference with the wifi. The second update (6.12.181.xt912.Verizon.en.US) kept the android version at 2.3.6 but also didn't work with wifi activated as well.

I hope this helps others struggling with this as well. I'll post back if I hear from Level 3 at Motorola.

Last edited:

Sharpender

Reaction score
Did anyone ever find a solution to the email issue? I receive email with K-9 or AquaMail with wifi enabled in batches and rarley...The Gmail app grabs them via push as they come in. If I disable wifi, K-9 and AquaMail receive push email just like Gmail does when connected to wifi. Really annoying since the Gmail app sucks!

nessjosh

Reaction score
K-9 with ICS

Once my Razor Maxx upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwhich version of Android, I decided to install K-9 (IMAP setting not POP). I use wifi enabled and I get my emails faster on my phone than I do on Outlook (which is becuase it sends and receives every 3 minutes).
I have two personal email accounts hosted with Bluehost and they both seem to work great now that I use K-9.
Sorry I cant be of more help.

mikedbq

Reaction score
Wifi Problem Resolved with ICS

I just recently got the Droid Bionic for my father-in-law for his birthday. Great phone ... except the fact that the wifi never worked. Sure, it would connect to the router. It would tell me that I was connected but no data. Just "webpage not responding" messages in the browser. So I figured, maybe it was an issue with the security. I tried all variations on my Belkin wireless N router, even turning security off for a while ... no avail. I then took the phone back to my house, where all my other Android devices get on my Dlink Wireless N router. Same thing ... just gray bars when in Wifi. Disable the wifi, 4g comes back, bam ... data is back! But not through wifi. I repeat this pattern at two other locations and get the same results. All 4 locations were using WPA2 TKIP. And I tried disabling the security at each location. No change.

Called Amazon Wireless and told them the whole story. They assumed that it was defective. They were out of stock of the Bionic, so I had to choose an equally valued phone from what they had in stock. The Droid Razr 4G was the closest thing. The Razr exhibited the exact same behavior! Grrr!

I then called Amazon Wireless. They forwarded me to Verizon. They forwarded me to Motorola. Went through level 1 tech support pretty quick. Got to level 2. After 90 minutes with level 2, they passed me on to level 3, which they said that I would be contacted within 24-48 hours. It's been 96 hours. No contact. I'm assuming they don't call on weekends so my hopes are high for this Monday.

So I start doing some searching around on the internet to get a few ideas.

Idea #1 ... I'll use my sprint smartphone and turn on the wifi hotspot to see if that works. Guess what ... no problem ... It works! I get wifi data through my other smart phone! The wifi bars on the Droid Razr 4G turn blue instead of the gray from my standard router based networks. Interesting! But confusion ensues because my sprint phone is using the FoxFi app with WPA2 with TKIP security activated, just like the four routers I tried. This tells me it has nothing to do with the type of security being used.

Idea #2 ... I'll check to see if there are any phone updates that has perhaps fixed this problem. There are TWO updates to download. The first one goes from Gingerbread 2.3.5 to 2.3.6. No difference with the wifi. The second update (6.12.181.xt912.Verizon.en.US) kept the android version at 2.3.6 but also didn't work with wifi activated as well.

I hope this helps others struggling with this as well. I'll post back if I hear from Level 3 at Motorola.

After the Ice Cream Sandwich update on the Razr (not the Bionic), the Wifi works great. If you're still on Gingerbread, update ASAP! I got to level 4 tech support where Motorola sent me instructions to collect log entries and send them to their engineers. Again, no problems after ICS!

Hope that helps close out this issue!

ggale

Reaction score
It's definitely not a known problem specific to the MAXX.

To me, it sounds like there's something at the WiFi network level that's not allowing the phones to connect to the Google servers (the difference between blue and grey - both means you're online, but grey means you're not connected to the Google servers and blue means you are connected). I've had this happen several times when I'm using the WiFi at various businesses. They have certain sites and types of connections blocked, resulting in the phone being able to properly connect to the Google servers. This inability to connect will have an impact on several different functions of the phone, including exchange email. This isn't a problem when on 4G/3G because Verizon doesn't restrict traffic in the same way that many businesses and private WiFi networks do in order to maintain security and/or productivity.

And as others have said, when connected to a WiFi network, 4G/3G will automatically be disabled. Running both at the same time is redundant and only serves to deplete the battery. Exchange email will sync over WiFi just like over 4G/3G, so that's why it seems like there's a problem at the network level.
I have the same issue, wifi works well at home and everywhere else, but not at work, which is a municiple agency and blocks certain sites. So is this the reason my maxx wifi icon stays white at work? In that case I cant use the wifi there.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I have the same issue, wifi works well at home and everywhere else, but not at work, which is a municiple agency and blocks certain sites. So is this the reason my maxx wifi icon stays white at work? In that case I cant use the wifi there.

Yes, that's very likely the reason why it stays white while you're at work and connected to WiFi there.