4G Verizon

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
According to a press release dated back in October, it's going to take through 2013 for LTE to be deployed throughout the country. That said, I won't see LTE til at least 2013. We don't even have broadband available where I live, and broadband has been out for what, 7-8 years?

Ski-me

Reaction score
Saw this commercial a few days ago regarding 4g on Verizon. December 2010.

[video=youtube;ED5j7FOXsvU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED5j7FOXsvU&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Verizon 4G LTE[/video]

tigerdango

Reaction score
Ha awesome. Reminds me of the Lightning Thief. Too bad I can't hear it, the sound card is dead on my laptop.

MonKENy

Reaction score
Hmm I was gonna try to get a Droid in Dec but maybe I should wait until my contract is up and upgrade then? For ppl who have 4g is it that big a leap from 3?

tigerdango

Reaction score
My sister has an HTC Evo which uses 4G. I asked her if the speed was any faster than 3G and she claims it is. I'm sure it is, but I can't imagine how much faster since stuff already moves as fast as a good cable Internet connection on a phone running 3G. No need worrying about it anyway, 4G and 3G right now are like Blu-ray and DVD. 4G is there, but the vast majority of phones and people are still on 3G.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
To OP. Your comparison to Routers is pretty much on the money. The towers serve as your router and your computers have to have the right radios to use the capabilities. That said as with your router VZW is 'updating' their towers so they will still have full 3G (i.e. backwards) capabilities. Just as when you buy a new computer with .11n wireless it can still use .11b and/or .11g. When they arrive the 4G phones will have both 4G and 3G radios (as the Sprint phones do now) and they will switch between them as needed. That sad as another poster responded they require completely different radios (hardware) so it's not likely any "upgrades" will be possible to older phone (but hey, why would you want to, the phones 2-3 months from now with 4G will be better than what you have now anyway).

My sister has an HTC Evo which uses 4G. I asked her if the speed was any faster than 3G and she claims it is. I'm sure it is, but I can't imagine how much faster since stuff already moves as fast as a good cable Internet connection on a phone running 3G. No need worrying about it anyway, 4G and 3G right now are like Blu-ray and DVD. 4G is there, but the vast majority of phones and people are still on 3G.

You're kidding right?? Speeds of 3G are NOWHERE near 'a good Cable Internet connection." 3G speeds max out at 1.5Mbps (give or take, VZW themselves only advertise 1.4 Mbps on their sites). On a GOOD day with full signal I can get 1.2 or so... my cable (which sucks) averages 12 Mbps lately (used to get about 18 or so but Comcast has gone to hell lately).

VZW 4G-LTE is supposed to get up around 10+Mbps (though they claim up to 12 they are saying 5 Mbps will be the min/norm). So at the very LEAST it will be 5-times faster. You need to realize the difference between 'perceived' speeds and actual transfer speeds. Most of the content you view on your device is compressed and/or otherwise altered to allow fast streaming to your device. 3G is, however ridiculously slow if you try to go to 'old school' or poorly designed websites (sites that have a LOT of pics embedded in the pages ect.).

As per your Blu-Ray vs DVD argument... It's about as pointless if you actually have a good Hi-Def TV. There is a ridiculously noticeable difference there as well (of course if the Blu-Ray movie was filmed and transferred appropriately). I used to think the same thing then last month my old TV died and I upgraded my entire system. Yeah, it's night and day difference.

Ex. of a crappy Cable internet provider, I dare you to show me ANY 3G test within even 15%, hell even 10% CONSISTENTLY.

1052397277.png

Last edited:

tigerdango

Reaction score
You, sir, can go eat your own damned over-inflated ego. Of course I know that the speeds of 3G are not ACTUALLY as fast as a cable Internet connection, but my Droid Incredible does load Internet pages just as fast as my laptop running on a RCN 10Mb connection.

MonKENy

Reaction score
hmm I guess I might as well do both get the X if I can in Dec and then upgrade in a few years.

OP
Jamis0n

Jamis0n

Reaction score
You, sir, can go eat your own damned over-inflated ego. Of course I know that the speeds of 3G are not ACTUALLY as fast as a cable Internet connection, but my Droid Incredible does load Internet pages just as fast as my laptop running on a RCN 10Mb connection.

Did you read his post? He said it is compressed to be faster. And thanks for everyone's input from yours truly,

Original poster: jamison

8pened!