4G signal question....How is it inside buildings compared to 3G?

BubbaRob

Reaction score
If you have a strong 3G connection inside a building now, will a 4G signal penetrate as well? I live in SE MI which shows the entire area covered in 4G so I am hoping it works well in my office like the 3G does.

What are your experiences on this issue so far?

UNC

Reaction score
If you have a strong 3G connection inside a building now, will a 4G signal penetrate as well? I live in SE MI which shows the entire area covered in 4G so I am hoping it works well in my office like the 3G does.

I actually don't have 4g coverage yet, but from what I understand LTE uses a different frequency than cdma, and it penetrates buildings better.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

OP
BubbaRob

BubbaRob

Reaction score

I actually don't have 4g coverage yet, but from what I understand LTE uses a different frequency than cdma, and it penetrates buildings better.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

Thanks, I did read that. I have also read some issues with the TB staying connected/switching back and forth from 3G to 4G. This seems to be mainly in areas on the edge of 4G at this point.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
In theory yes. Verizon is using 700Mhz to deploy LTE. The lower the band the better the building penetration.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

MadScientist

Reaction score

I don't have any personal experience on this but being as my name applies the science behind it is pretty simple. Lower frequency waves have a much better transmissability due to the nature of wave forms. Think of LTE (4G) as a whale call and EVDO (3G) as a dolphin click. The whale calls at low frequency are recorded hundreds of miles away while dolphin noises are short range. It's all in the science of wave forms and LTE transmits at a get low frequency (900 mhz) compared to other technologies ( I think EVDO transmits in the 1900 mhz band wave)

Sent from my Thunderbolt

OP
BubbaRob

BubbaRob

Reaction score

I don't have any personal experience on this but being as my name applies the science behind it is pretty simple. Lower frequency waves have a much better transmissability due to the nature of wave forms. Think of LTE (4G) as a whale call and EVDO (3G) as a dolphin click. The whale calls at low frequency are recorded hundreds of miles away while dolphin noises are short range. It's all in the science of wave forms and LTE transmits at a get low frequency (900 mhz) compared to other technologies ( I think EVDO transmits in the 1900 mhz band wave)

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Thanks. I guess I will pull the trigger and do a 1 yr. contract. Sounds like I will be good in my office. If not, only a ten month wait to get another phone so no big deal.

KrautBurner

Reaction score

YES dancedroid:icon_ banana:dancedroid:icon_ banana:dancedroid:icon_ banana:dancedroid:icon_ banana:dancedroid

I got much better signal with my STORM:blackberry: than my coworkers with iPhone 4's and 3GS's
along with better internet speeds

my TB is working great with full signal inside my building (Downtown Seattle, Wa)

KrautBurner

Reaction score
I guess I will pull the trigger and do a 1 yr. contract. Sounds like I will be good in my office. If not, only a ten month wait to get another phone so no big deal.

plus,
you have 14 days to return your phone if you don't like it

also,
even "IF" the 4G signal didn't penitrate,
you'd revert to the 3G inside the building and still have good signal
but you shouldn't have to worry about it

willzzz88

Reaction score
The switching between 1X/EV/LTE was temporary since it was a network problem and has since been corrected.

stevenas

Reaction score
I haven't seen the 4G signal below 2 bars in the last 2 days. I used to get very poor or no 3G reception at home and work (on an enV2, it has a pretty good antenna), but now I'm getting 4 bars 4G. Been all over Columbus, OH with it and am really excited to see great 4G service all around town.

sharkboy

Reaction score
Still does not work in my building

I have the thunderbolt and still cannot get a signal in my part of the building. To be fair though, the only people who get a signal here are people with AT&T. At&T has a signal booster in our building. I am also in the outer range of the LTE network.

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
I have no issues. It obviously depends on the building and infrastructure in the area. Just like 3g to me, only much faster!

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT with Tapatalk

Jacob9424

Reaction score
In theory yes. Verizon is using 700Mhz to deploy LTE. The lower the band the better the building penetration.

So why is it that i get 4G outside all places and when i go into my school it switches to 3G?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

sgtguthrie

Reaction score

So why is it that i get 4G outside all places and when i go into my school it switches to 3G?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

The 4G signal at that location just probably isn't as strong as the 3g is. Call me captain obvious, but 4G is kind of new so there are a lot of gaps. Give it a year, and we'll see VZW expanding it immensely!

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT with Tapatalk