4G Phones 3G sensitivity

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by Vidguy7, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Vidguy7

Vidguy7 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the Droid, and thankfully Verizon seems to have fixed the no connectivity 4G to 3G issue in the Long Island area. But does anyone notice that in weaker 3G areas you don't get a connection whereas 3G only phones do? I know the 4G signal doesn't seem to be as robust indoors as 3G signals, but I'm just talking about connectivity in weaker 3G areas indoors.

As an example, my wife's IPhone on Verizon will get a decent signal in say a movie theater in the Westbury, N.Y. area where I just can't get out at all on the internet. I'm not sure if this is a characteristic of all 4G phones or just the Charge.

2. jimmerz

jimmerz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed that a lot. If i am not getting a 4G signal I rarely see a 3G signal. And coming from a 3G phone I know I had 3G signals in these areas before....

3. flipdiddlin

flipdiddlin New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    im on li and have this problem also constantly.makes me look really cool when trying to show friends my "super fast" 4g phone and I can't get any connection at all yet blackberry and iphone friends on vzw have consistent 3g connections in the same place. I get "I think ill wait" alot..... :/

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

4. arharris

arharris New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Droid charge 3G issues

I received the Droid Charge 3 weeks prior to release and couldn't get a 3G signal right in the store. It has been a month now and after 2 updates and countless calls it still fluctuates out of 3G constantly even with 3 bars. Does anyone get a response from Samsung or Verizon?

5. michelle4439

michelle4439 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I do not live in a 4G area but I have noticed with my Droid charge that I have areas that my phone doesn't work as well as my DX did. They are areas that I had good 3G coverage that now my Droid Charge will show 1X or will actually drop calls. I very RARELY had any dropped calls with my DX. The signal strength changes more than it did with my DX. It is actually somewhat worse with the Droid Charge. Is there a setting where you can maybe turn off 4G? Also off topic.. but is there a setting where you can turn off the "DROID" sound when you turn your phone on and off? Thanks

arharris also the same issue with me. I will have 3 bars and showing 1X.

#5 michelle4439, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  6. Vidguy7

Vidguy7 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm beginning to think this is inherent in the chipset the 4G phones are using. We probably won't see any change until the 2nd gen 4G phones come out. :(

7. ralphyost

ralphyost New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    3G

I was advised in the Verizon store to disable the 4G function until I am in an area of 4G coverage. I have the CHARGE also but it appears to be working fairly well for me in 3G. I did disable the 4G for now. Live near Atlantic City NJ and we dont yet have 4G here.
    R.

8. Vidguy7

Vidguy7 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The problem is that some areas have many pockets of 3G & 4G. It is really impractical to constantly change the phone from 4G to 3G and back to 4G multiple times a day.

At that point I'd say 'why did I buy a 4G phone'. This is not a fix as far as I'm concerned and I sincerely hope that Verizon is not thinking that way.

9. arharris

arharris New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Both the Samsung and Verizon techs told me that disconnectiing the 4G is not the answer. They pushed out a software update to me on 6/11 thaat seems to have helped tremendously the problem of the 3G going in and out on a consistant basis.

10. Vidguy7

Vidguy7 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The software fix didn't help my in & out 3G issues. At first I thought it did, but as you travel around (or even in my house where I go from 4G to 3G to no data within a minute) you see it didn't. There are numerous reports where people are reporting the same thing.

It could be location specific, but it's clear to me that 3G only phones have many less issues with the 3G signal than the 4G phones. Just yesterday I was at a Verizon store and one of their demo Charges had a 4G signal and the other demo showed a weak 3G signal. Even funnier was the TBolt sitting next to the Charge with the 4G signal that showed a 1x signal.

Houston, we have a problem. Oh, and I should mention, the Charge with the 4G signal had not yet received it's OTA update and the one stuck in 3G had!

I really think the 1st gen 4G chipsets are flawed. There are way too many issues here.

#10 Vidguy7, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  11. arharris

arharris New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Droid Charge problems with 3G intermittent signal

I've noticed that Verizon is not advertising the Droid Charge but continue to push the Thunderbolt that has tons of problems. How in the world can Verizon keep putting out these phones with all these problems that haven't been tested is beyond belief. You would think that paying $300 and contract for the Charge that it would work! I wonder if there could be a class action suit for us owners?

12. droidx111

droidx111 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My boss has the iphone 4. were constantly battling whos got the better phone. I recently went from the x to the charge thinking surely ill blow him away now....i must say when i get the 4g signal or connected to wifi this phone is outstanding and does exactly what i wanted...but im right in the middle of the red 4g coverage blob and im constantly switching from 4g to 3g to 1x and sometimes drops off all together..

The only complaint my boss has is his alarm doeset work..wtf

Search tags for this page

4g signal senstive

how can i set sensitivty on samsung phone 3g