4G or 3G???

occhile1984

Reaction score
Ok, I can upgrade in a month, but I like doing my research so that I go in the store and immediately know what I want. The main question is, is 4g really worth getting? In my mind, it's still new and still has the possbility of having some quirks, and it drains the battery (correct me if i'm wrong). 3G is better for the consumer who is looking for an all around phone that he can do internet, facebook, twitter and pandora on.

Another problem I have is concerning all the different types of droids. It seems like once the newest, latest and greatest comes out, 2 months later an even better one comes out. I mean i guess that is the tech age, but still.

I'm leaning towards a droid 3 or droid x2, but still considering a 4g droid.

I mean this is obviously a 2 year commitment...and there is no turning back, well unless i want to pay a full-retail price. Please let me know what you think.

DiaperDandy

Reaction score
Ok, I can upgrade in a month, but I like doing my research so that I go in the store and immediately know what I want. The main question is, is 4g really worth getting? In my mind, it's still new and still has the possbility of having some quirks, and it drains the battery (correct me if i'm wrong). 3G is better for the consumer who is looking for an all around phone that he can do internet, facebook, twitter and pandora on.

Another problem I have is concerning all the different types of droids. It seems like once the newest, latest and greatest comes out, 2 months later an even better one comes out. I mean i guess that is the tech age, but still.

I'm leaning towards a droid 3 or droid x2, but still considering a 4g droid.

I mean this is obviously a 2 year commitment...and there is no turning back, well unless i want to pay a full-retail price. Please let me know what you think.

4g phone is definitely worth it if you like video. Ive switched between 3g and 4g while watching youtube, nfl mobile, netflix, and zumocast and with video there is a MAJOR difference between 3g and 4g. And you are absolutely correct about battery, 4g eats it alive. Buuuut...if you have a 4g phone, its as simple as turning it on, watching your video or doing your browsing, and then turning it right back off to save battery while idle. You can still use 3g all you like for the less data intensive stuff, but trust me it is very nice to have 4g at your fingertips when speed is necessary.

And yes we are talking about a 2 year commitment, but you also need to consider that right now 4g and 3g cost the same. That may not be the case as 4g develops, and if there is grandfathering involved i for one would want to be sure im on the list. Hope this helps. And from your post im assuming youre on Verizon so i responded as such.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
O

occhile1984

Reaction score
4g phone is definitely worth it if you like video. Ive switched between 3g and 4g while watching youtube, nfl mobile, netflix, and zumocast and with video there is a MAJOR difference between 3g and 4g. And you are absolutely correct about battery, 4g eats it alive. Buuuut...if you have a 4g phone, its as simple as turning it on, watching your video or doing your browsing, and then turning it right back off to save battery while idle. You can still use 3g all you like for the less data intensive stuff, but trust me it is very nice to have 4g at your fingertips when speed is necessary.

And yes we are talking about a 2 year commitment, but you also need to consider that right now 4g and 3g cost the same. That may not be the case as 4g develops, and if there is grandfathering involved i for one would want to be sure im on the list. Hope this helps. And from your post im assuming youre on Verizon so i responded as such.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

yep, i'm on verizon and i wouldn't have it any other way. i actually have 26 days til my upgrade. what phones do you suggest on the 4g? what have you used so far? just want to make sure. I mean there is no guarantee in technology. still...i appreciate it. i guess 26 days is a long time in cell phones. so who knows what else will be coming out. Thanks again.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
you really can't go wrong with any of the 4g phones on VZW right now. Out of the choices I'd personally take the Bionic, it's the fastest, dual-core, and best 4g phone available imo. A close second would be the Samsung Charge, but I'm not a fan of TouchWiz, but I'm sure that could be replaced with a homescreen app such as LP+. After checking both phones out over the weekend I decided to hold off until the next group of phones release within the next 2-4 months.

and by 26 days til your upgrade is that when your contract is over or is that when you're first eligible for an upgrade (I believe that's 20 months?). Like for me I know my contract ends in Nov, and there could be two or three more phones that come out by then.

nikecar

Reaction score
When I was looking for my 1st smartphone, I wanted the latest and the fastest, but I didn't want to pay premium for a 4G, plus I didn'g like how they felt in my hand, nor the interfaces. Since I went from a feature phone, anything is faster than what I was using (no internet).

While its nice to watch videos, I'm not in one spot long enough to fire up the video. if I'm with my kids at Disney or something, I can preload select videos I ripped from our collection.

If I had a smartphone before, I could understand the desire to move up, but not me yet.

celtic11

Reaction score
Im pretty much with nikecar. I like having a fast phone but its not the highest thing on my list of priorities. When I was buying a phone, upgrading from an original DROID, the phone that just seemed to fit me was the DROID 3. Basically I sacrificed faster speeds for what was, IMO, the most comfortable phone to hold with a user interface that I liked.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
O

occhile1984

Reaction score
you really can't go wrong with any of the 4g phones on VZW right now. Out of the choices I'd personally take the Bionic, it's the fastest, dual-core, and best 4g phone available imo. A close second would be the Samsung Charge, but I'm not a fan of TouchWiz, but I'm sure that could be replaced with a homescreen app such as LP+. After checking both phones out over the weekend I decided to hold off until the next group of phones release within the next 2-4 months.

and by 26 days til your upgrade is that when your contract is over or is that when you're first eligible for an upgrade (I believe that's 20 months?). Like for me I know my contract ends in Nov, and there could be two or three more phones that come out by then.

Actually, i was one a one year contract; probably one of the very last. The reason for that...and you guys will find this funny, i use to work for VZW.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Actually, i was one a one year contract; probably one of the very last. The reason for that...and you guys will find this funny, i use to work for VZW.

hahaha, oh the irony.

Well. either way you're 25 days now from your end of contract. If anything I would think they'd let you keep your current phone under a new contract, so if you wanted upgrade in the near future with the new phones coming out, you can use it then? You're the one who worked for them so maybe you know the old phone/new contract situation better than I do.

jssmith76

Reaction score
Im still rocking the OG Droid, so im used to the 3G. But, since my renewal is available on 11-29-11, my 1st choice at this point is the Bionic. I never thought of it beforfe, but like one of the previous posters said, maybe there will be a change in 4G data packages someday, and being grandfathered in is a definite plus. Also, since I'm giving up my life for 2 years to VZW, then I wanna make sure i got the best i can get thats gonna last for almost 2 years.

But, thats my 2 cents. Take it with as much salt as you wish. ;-)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Worth is always highly subjective, regardless of topic. If you want to determine if it's worth it you you then try out some 3G and 4G devices doing things that you normally do on your smartphone. No one can tell you if anything is worth it to you or not. If 4G was universally worth it then everyone would have 4G devices.

googlelover

Reaction score
When I was looking for my 1st smartphone, I wanted the latest and the fastest, but I didn't want to pay premium for a 4G, plus I didn'g like how they felt in my hand, nor the interfaces. Since I went from a feature phone, anything is faster than what I was using (no internet).

While its nice to watch videos, I'm not in one spot long enough to fire up the video. if I'm with my kids at Disney or something, I can preload select videos I ripped from our collection.

If I had a smartphone before, I could understand the desire to move up, but not me yet.
No premium for 4g, its the same price as 3g
edit:unless you mean the premium for the phone xP