4G not as good on S3

wooddale

Reaction score
I want this radio but I don't want to void my warranty.. I've kept it stock... I usually root immediately... Anyone know how flashing that radio will affect the Warranty

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
I could be wrong but I dont think flashing the radio will void your waranty. If you can flash it you can unflash it. You can even flas and unflash any STOCK Samsung roms without setting off the counter.

johnd09

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I dont think flashing the radio will void your waranty. If you can flash it you can unflash it. You can even flas and unflash any STOCK Samsung roms without setting off the counter.

I agree. It might confuse tech support when they see different version numbers, but the warranty should remain intact. You can always go back by downloading the old radios and flashing using the same process.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
Thank you! I thought by now the Ota would have been pushed out.. Guess it's time to tinker with the S3...

PhDCow

Reaction score
I called Tech Support yesterday because my signal strength was -93 and I'm constantly dropping calls. The rep told me to get a new SIM card. I did, but the rep at the store told me to not get my hopes up. He's replaced several cards for the S3 and customers are coming back for another one.

My battery is being drained because it's mostly looking for a signal. I'm not even talking data, but just a regular cellular signal and I live in an area that's saturated by VZ towers and coverage.

I'm outside the return period and I really don't want to go through Warranty Services if this is a flaw in the phone. I'm really frustrated right now and between a rock and hard place.

PhDCow

Reaction score
So I called Tech Support AGAIN and got a Level 2 person (whatever that means). I'm still getting crappy reception and dropped calls. He told me that the SIM card had nothing to do with it. My radio is defective. I mentioned that I've heard that this is a common problem and he told me that it's not common enough for the problem to be in their database. :icon_rolleyes: So I get a "certified like new" on Tuesday.

michelle4439

Reaction score
PhDCow said:
So I called Tech Support AGAIN and got a Level 2 person (whatever that means). I'm still getting crappy reception and dropped calls. He told me that the SIM card had nothing to do with it. My radio is defective. I mentioned that I've heard that this is a common problem and he told me that it's not common enough for the problem to be in their database. :icon_rolleyes: So I get a "certified like new" on Tuesday.

So I know that tons of people are happy with their phone but I know that Rep told a lie lol they are tons of people having issues also. My sis and I both bought the S3 and our dropped calls and reception issues were so bad and data and even sending text messages were so few and far between after 4 days we went back to our Droid razors.

mesii23

Reaction score
No problems call wise, but I have text message delays up to several hours.

Seems to prefer 3g over 4G which I find very annoying. 4G reception no where near as good as the RAZR but, doesn't drop the connection constantly like the RAZR did

But, for the past day or two it has been favoring 1x coverage where it shouldn't be. Usually have to airplane mode or reset to fix

Sent from my 4G LTE Samsung Galaxy S III using Forum Runner

Last edited:

rontot

Reaction score
Make a contact for *22899

Call it

What does updating the PRL do? I have updated the Modem drivers, Do I need to do this(PRL) or not? If I do this, will I need to undo it before any official OTA from Verizon?

thanks

kparks

Reaction score
rontot said:
What does updating the PRL do? I have updated the Modem drivers, Do I need to do this(PRL) or not? If I do this, will I need to undo it before any official OTA from Verizon?

thanks

Don't bother it don't work on lte phones and it fried sim cards in the tbolt...I think on these phones the PRL updates automatically or sumn maybe someone can clarify but everything I was told has been not to do it!

Last edited:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Don't bother it don't work on lte phones and it fried sim cards in the tbolt...I think on these phones the PRL updates automatically or sumn maybe someone can clarify but everything I was told has been not to do it!

100% correct. If you try to update your PRL by dialing a number of any kind, you risk damaging your SIM card. LTE phones update their PRLs automatically. Chances are that your phone has already retrieved the latest PRL, but if you want to make sure, just reboot your phone. It will check during startup.

rontot

Reaction score
100% correct. If you try to update your PRL by dialing a number of any kind, you risk damaging your SIM card. LTE phones update their PRLs automatically. Chances are that your phone has already retrieved the latest PRL, but if you want to make sure, just reboot your phone. It will check during startup.

Alright, good to know!

Thanks all!

wooddale

Reaction score
Her is my two cents worth. I tried 22899 it said it activated the sim card which was already activated so I guess it did nothing but it didnt screw up anything either. I activated my phone in Wi on a network extender my prl was 15109 I flashed the g1 modem helped my data even in 3g land. I went home to Il (4G) had pretty solid f not Verizon is gonna here about it4g. Somehow I got a corupt file I think it was mail droid any the only to fix it was to do a factory reset. When I did my prl changed to 15145 I think because I activated it in 4G. I am back in Wi now on G1 with 15145 modem doesnt hold signal as well as my Bionic which is rooted running ICS leak 232 but it is not bad. I think when we get our firmware update all will be well if not Verizon is gonna here about it. So for me the G1 modem and prl 15145 are working pretty well so far.

Also just rebooting your phone wont change your prl ypou need to pull the sim card let you phone boot up until it tyells you you neede sim the put it back in reboot and your phone will update to the correct prl depending where you are.

Last edited:

HelpeRX

Reaction score
I have the S3 and I have had no issues or compliments the phone is phenomonal and the readio is great I have had no issues with data. Its probably your area, I had a droid razr and to be honest I thought the radio was terrible not only did I lose date but even the wifi wasnt as good to even hold a long distance connection for more than a few minutes.

rontot

Reaction score
Her is my two cents worth. I tried 22899 it said it activated the sim card which was already activated so I guess it did nothing but it didnt screw up anything either. I activated my phone in Wi on a network extender my prl was 15109 I flashed the g1 modem helped my data even in 3g land. I went home to Il (4G) had pretty solid f not Verizon is gonna here about it4g. Somehow I got a corupt file I think it was mail droid any the only to fix it was to do a factory reset. When I did my prl changed to 15145 I think because I activated it in 4G. I am back in Wi now on G1 with 15145 modem doesnt hold signal as well as my Bionic which is rooted running ICS leak 232 but it is not bad. I think when we get our firmware update all will be well if not Verizon is gonna here about it. So for me the G1 modem and prl 15145 are working pretty well so far.

Also just rebooting your phone wont change your prl ypou need to pull the sim card let you phone boot up until it tyells you you neede sim the put it back in reboot and your phone will update to the correct prl depending where you are.

Ok,
My PRL is currently at 15145, I didn't do anything to get there...
I can't say that the G1 modem baseband has really helped me much. It's not any worse, but no better either. Yes, I am in very marginal area, but my HTC Incredible always got much better signal. Very few dropped calls, can't say that about the S3. When I am at work, I would get 3G all the time, not so much with the S3. MY wife's Moto Droid 3 gets better signal at work consistently.

I really like the phone, EXCEPT for the radios, I am really hoping Verizon and/or Samsung can get them working better. But, I am not going to hold my breath, they have already made their money...

If I had not wanted to upgrade to hang onto my unlimited plan, I would have held for a different phone, one that's not locked.

Ohwell, I can always go back to my Incredible 8-P

wooddale

Reaction score
I did the same thing I wouldnt have got the S3 if it were not for the unlimited plan.