4G not as good on S3

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy S3' started by deathwhitch, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Caesars

Caesars Senior Member

Ratings:
    +120
    I'm reading a ton of conflicting experiences, i guess time will tell.

Googorola MAXX

2. JJDH

JJDH Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Must be the area for some. The s3 is far better than the nexus. The s3 hardware is better all around, including sound and Bluetooth. No issues here. The phone is very good

sIII

3. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +754
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel 2 XL
    Verizon's network definitely was part of the problem. But another part of the problem was the way the Bionic's radios handled the network. If that wasn't the case, it would have been improvements on Verizon's side of things that improved reception and Motorola wouldn't have needed to update the radios as much as they did. Both definitely played a role, but Motorola's radios were to blame in part. It was their first time with a LTE device, so there was bound to be a few hiccups.

The Targa was slated for a fall launch when the Etna (the internal codename for the original design of the Bionic) was scrapped, but the Targa that was released as the Bionic wasn't exactly the device it was originally intended to be. Just like the Etna, the Targa had been designed with a Tegra 2 processor in mind. Motorola had to quickly redesign much of the Targa around the TI processor, along with making a few other changes from the intended design. Under normal circumstances, this would have delayed the launch of the device from its intended target (fall) for a few months. Motorola didn't want to do that for a few reasons, chief among them their lack of a LTE device on Verizon and not wanting to interfere with the holiday launch of the RAZR. So they rushed the redesign of the Targa, and released that device with the Bionic name, rather than cancelling it completely.

4. tc1

tc1 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Damn.... Not what I was wanting to hear.

And yes Motorola has excellent reception.

5. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +754
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel 2 XL
    Those were my exact thoughts with the Galaxy Nexus - great device, terrible phone. I'm hoping I have better luck with the S3 once it arrives, but seeing all of these posts about the S3 offering worse reception over previous devices is dampening my hope. :frown:

6. huskur

huskur Senior Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Don't worry brother. The SG3 radio is fine. In side by side comparison with a Razr Maxx within 10' of each other the SG3 radio connects and switches from 3G to 4G better/faster than the Maxx. I have done a 3 day comparison before I made the decision to stick with the SG3. Don't sweat it......really

7. mkstn

mkstn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    What's strange is I only get two bars at home (got four with my Samsung Charge) but when I launch the brouser I get super fast results and it almost always shows 4G . The Charge would go from 3G to 4G back and forth. Whats up with that??

8. Sectime

Sectime Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Bars are the worst way to check signal. You must look in phone settings to see the actual DBM. The bars are software driven and not a real measurement.

9. mesii23

mesii23 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    4G reception is no where near as good as my RAZR. The RAZR would grab the 4G signal about 2 miles b4 the S 3 even tries

Sent from my 4G LTE Samsung Galaxy S III using Forum Runner

10. huskur

huskur Senior Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Exact opposite for me. My SG3 picks up the 4G faster than my Maxx ever did. At one point I thought my Maxx had a problem but friends I have suffered the same issues I had. I even switched SIMs and devices and no change what so ever. I have a coworker right now in the same warehouse I am in only 6 feet away with a Razr and he is on 3G and I have 4G (we live in an extended network area).

11. cybertec69

cybertec69 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +318
    Where exactly can you find this in the settings, thanks in advance.

12. DroidBoardr

DroidBoardr Member

Ratings:
    +1
    What is a good number for signal strength? I dont have my S3 yet, but my rezound is giving me -83dbm here at work.

Search tags for this page

4g not working on galaxy s3

4g not working on samsung galaxy s3

4g not working on samsung galaxy s3 verizon

galaxy s3 4g not working

gs3 4g not working
how to update prl on galaxy s3
how to update prl on verizon galaxy s3
samsung galaxy s3 no 4g verizon

samsung galaxy s3 verizon 4g not working

verizon galaxy s3 4g not working