4G not as good on S3

Reaction score
I had an HTC Thunderbolt for about a year and never dropped a call at my house. Since I got the S3 on release day I have dropped about 8-10 calls. I've only had 1 call since the JB update yesterday (it didn't drop). The signal is definitely weaker on the S3 than my thunderbolt. I can't comment on Motorola, I had a Bionic for a weekend but that phone wouldn't hold a data connection for more than five minutes.

That was a common problem with the Bionics. I had one and switched to the GS3. After dropping three calls in the week and a half that I owned it, I traded it in for the RAZR Maxx HD and have so far been very satisfied with my decision.

marbeezy

Reaction score
So I saw the modem respomse here and wondering if it still works great? I justpicked up the galaxy and noticed my signal strength is at -105 db. Ugh

greglb

Reaction score
So I saw the modem respomse here and wondering if it still works great? I justpicked up the galaxy and noticed my signal strength is at -105 db. Ugh

That's typically what I'm seeing for signal strength on my S3. Every now and then I get into a really strong signal and it goes up to -80db, but it's kind of rare. Has anyone moved from the S3 to the Galaxy Note 2 to see if the reception's any better?

wooddale

Reaction score
That's typically what I'm seeing for signal strength on my S3. Every now and then I get into a really strong signal and it goes up to -80db, but it's kind of rare. Has anyone moved from the S3 to the Galaxy Note 2 to see if the reception's any better?
I have the Note2 and my signal strength is -97 but I am in a strong 4G area my S3 was always about -103. Thats not what you should be looking at. If your phone works good signal strength dont matter. If your looking at data thats another story the radios (modems) are what realy effect your data. I have had my phone for 6 days so far never dropped a call I have seen a 3G signal solid 4G. On the other hand though my S3 never dropped calls but it did drop 3G once in awhile but I never lost data. Im going go a spot tomorrow where I used to drop 4G Ill report back then.

greglb

Reaction score
I have the Note2 and my signal strength is -97 but I am in a strong 4G area my S3 was always about -103. Thats not what you should be looking at. If your phone works good signal strength dont matter. If your looking at data thats another story the radios (modems) are what realy effect your data. I have had my phone for 6 days so far never dropped a call I have seen a 3G signal solid 4G. On the other hand though my S3 never dropped calls but it did drop 3G once in awhile but I never lost data. Im going go a spot tomorrow where I used to drop 4G Ill report back then.

I'm not really dropping out of 4G much, but notice really dramatic drops in my data speed with a lower signal compared to the times I've had a higher signal. I haven't been sure if that's only been due to low signal strength or if other factors might be impacting the speed.