4g lte vs wifi

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Shadez, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +208
    Current Phone Model:
    HTC One M8
    Twitter:
    @Shadez69
    I know I saw it in one of the threads, but is anyone else noticing that they are getting faster speeds using just 4G instead of WIFI? I know when I turn off WIFI, there is a dramatic increase in speed...

2. bigkhan

bigkhan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Its going to depend on how strong of a 4G signal you are getting, and what the connection speed is that is feeding the wifi signal. My house is close to the end of the 4 G area so outside I'll get about 15mbps but inside I get maybe 5-10mbps. My home connection speed is 15mbps and sometimes I get up to 20mbps. So my wifi is faster. But right now I'm in the Chicago area and getting over 30mbps. There are not going to be many people with that kind of speed in there house.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

3. hydro556

hydro556 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    It depends.

At home, I can only get about 2megs on wifi, because of where I live.

I dont yet get 4g at home, but if I go about 15 minutes west, toward St Louis, I can get 4g. If the speed tests I have run are accurate, the 4g signal there gives me about 11-12 megs DL. So, that is much faster. And in testing the 4g signal, I noticed it is much faster than the wifi I get at home.

Some guys are reporting 25megs and over on 4g. So, as a rule, unless you have an amazing connection at home, I think 4g is typically going to be much faster.

4. Quicksilver7714

Quicksilver7714 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +62
    I only have a 3 meg connection at home but I am covered by 4G and I get on average 24Mbps down. That's 8x my home wifi connection.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

5. bplewis24

bplewis24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top is wifi at my buddies house.

The bottom is my laptop tethered to my 4G bionic via PDANet. Notice how close they are, with the main difference being the ping. The wifi connection actually averaged a lower amount because 2 of 4 tests resulted in a download speed below 5MB/s, but the ping was always around 19ms and upload was always around 3.5MB/s. 4G averaged a consistent 10 down and 3.5 up and 28ms of latency. Overall 4G was more consistent but with higher latency, which is exactly what I would expect. At my house the latency averages closer to 40ms.

Brandon

6. bigkhan

bigkhan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Its all about where your at. If where you are has a solid 4G signal it will probably be faster than any wifi connection. If your close to the 4G boarder, than its a toss up, what kind of service you have at home, mines pretty good 15+mbps down. 3-5mbps up.

7. FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo Member

Ratings:
    +19
    4g is consistently faster than my home wifi by 2-4 times. I don't know whether to think ya 4g or wtf wifi?

8. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As well as where your WiFI AP is located, obstructions, etc. It's fairly pointless to try to make broad, sweeping generalizations about 4G versus WiFi speeds. Either could be slower or faster depending on a number of variables specific to just you.

9. tjk629

tjk629 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Current Phone Model:
    NEXUS 6
    I'm on the edge so I only get 5-10mbps on LTE. Compared to the 15-20mbps on WiFi. LTE speeds are perfectly fine though so I see no reason to have to have WiFi on.

Search tags for this page

4g lte vs wifi speed

4g lte vs wifi
4g lte vs wifi speeds
4g lte speed vs wifi
4g lte vs. wifi speed
4g lte vs wi-fi
which is faster 4g lte or wifi
wifi vs 4g lte
wifi vs 4g lte speed
wifi vs 4g lte speeds