4G LTE Logo Color Changes

welsalex

Reaction score
Mine started doing this about a week or two before the 905 update. After several hour long calls to VZ tech support and getting a new SIM card on Tuesday and it still not working. I called again this morning and ask to speak to the best tech person there. Go to settings, Battery and data manager and see if data roaming is "checked", if not, turn it on (all three items in this menu should be checked). I don't know how mine got unchecked but it did and that was my problem. 4G has been rock solid ever since. I'll report back if it starts acting up again.

Is this true? I've always had data roaming unchecked. I have some minor data issues here and there but it's never consistent with time/location/apps being used/etc..... First I've heard that this option should be checked... I thought it had to do with connecting to non-verizon networks for data (and there-by possibly incurring addition charges? "Roaming" seems almost obsolete unless you are outside the US...)

RagtimeBenji

Reaction score
I have three droids on my account. Two Droid 4's (ALL UNCAPPED DATA :D ) and a bionic. all have been having severe issues with 4G. I live in Seattle WA in downtown. Horrible LTE coverage. White all the time. On every device. Same problem but worse in Portland, OR. 3G seems quite consistant, but not the best. Perhaps congestion? All are running current versions of firmware of software.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
white means you have a connection, blue means you are logged onto your google account. if I'm wrong verizon has a detailed explanation if you want to google it. as far as I'm concerned if it's white just pray for a connection of any kind.

living on the RAZR'S edge, oops just sliced off my big toe.:mad:

brroid

Reaction score
Me. said:
Mine started doing this about a week or two before the 905 update. After several hour long calls to VZ tech support and getting a new SIM card on Tuesday and it still not working. I called again this morning and ask to speak to the best tech person there. Go to settings, Battery and data manager and see if data roaming is "checked", if not, turn it on (all three items in this menu should be checked). I don't know how mine got unchecked but it did and that was my problem. 4G has been rock solid ever since. I'll report back if it starts acting up again.

I have had these options checked since day one, and have had data drops regularly. On 905 now, and it's gotten worse since the update for me.

OP
scottdog129

scottdog129

Reaction score
lloydstrans said:
white means you have a connection, blue means you are logged onto your google account. if I'm wrong verizon has a detailed explanation if you want to google it. as far as I'm concerned if it's white just pray for a connection of any kind.

living on the RAZR'S edge, oops just sliced off my big toe.:mad:

Yeah, when mine is white, I can't even get into the Play Store OR my Facebook app, so I doubt its just a logged in/logged out of Google thing.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

dfcfu342

Reaction score
scottdog129 said:
Yeah, when mine is white, I can't even get into the Play Store OR my Facebook app, so I doubt its just a logged in/logged out of Google thing.

If you always have background data enabled then your icon will turn white when data drops because it notices the disconnect first with google before the phone realizes you've lost data. So you'll have a white icon but no data.

Otakulad

Reaction score

This was also happening to me. Tech support didn't say anything about the towers not working properly and sent me a new (refurb) phone. It was still happening so I went into the store to get a new SIM card and the rep there confirmed what others have been saying, towers are sucking right now. To throw fuel on the rumor fire, he did say that it should be fixed in two weeks (I went there last week). So ICS soon?

I did flash the 230 ICS leak and I haven't had an issue since then (knock on wood).

lisalisa13

Reaction score
Same problem here in op, ks. I never had data drops until this new update :( now about the only time my phone works is on wifi at home. I get lucky occasionally with 4G at work. Keeps flashing between the white light, blue light, or no light at all

lisalisa13

Reaction score
I've thought of doing the ics update more than once but have never had anything but stock. Don't know the first thing about it or how to do it, go back etc

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've thought of doing the ics update more than once but have never had anything but stock. Don't know the first thing about it or how to do it, go back etc

There are several threads with more details on how, but the short answer is to get the .230 update, put in in the root area of your SD-EXT card and boot the phone into recovery by pressing Power and Volume Up/Down.
Then select "Recovery" by pressing Volume Down, then press Volume Up to initiate it. When the robot appears, press both Volume keys in at the same time.
Next select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then Power to initiate it.
Then using the Volume keys, choose the file that you downloaded (above), press Power and let it load.
When the install is done, press Power.

There are ways of going back if unsatisfied, so you don't have to worry about being stuck.

ICE should be coming out this month as Motorola is saying "Early Q3."

Last edited:
OP
scottdog129

scottdog129

Reaction score
Finally got around to flashing the .230 ICS leak. Duuuude, this new OS is awesome! Lightning fast and, guess what? NO DATA DROP! Im really surprised that Moto hasnt released something sooner....

lisalisa13

Reaction score
Ok, I don't understand any of that, is there a manual for dummies lol. Where do I find the 230 update to start with I guess?

Me.

Reaction score
brroid said:
I have had these options checked since day one, and have had data drops regularly. On 905 now, and it's gotten worse since the update for me.

I was lucky and got one that never had data drops until my recent problem, so its likely that you and I are having a different issue.
So far its been over 24 hours and I still have a solid blue 4G icon. I unchecked the data roaming option and did a battery pull earlier and after it rebooted, I lost connection and had the white icon again. That was definitely my problem.

OP
scottdog129

scottdog129

Reaction score
lisalisa13 said:
Ok, I don't understand any of that, is there a manual for dummies lol. Where do I find the 230 update to start with I guess?

There is a pretty good step-by-step a few posts up. Its the one I followed. Hit me up if you need help. :)

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

You can get the .230 link at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...ionic-ics-update-6-7-230-a-2.html#post2173554 or https://www.dropbox.com/s/qtvb3rgi1tokr35/Blur_Version.5.9.905.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip Note that the file has two items, the update file and a CRC file. All you need to move to your Bionic is the update file.

I'll expand what I said before, adding in things assuming you've never connected your Bionic to a PC before. If you have you can go to step 4. Be sure that the battery is at least 40% before trying this.

1. On the phone go to Menu>Setting>Applications>Development and check "USB Debugging."
2. Plug phone into computer.
3. Press "Mass USB Storage" from the list of choices. Two drives will show up in Windows Explorer. One is MOT (Internal Storage) and the other is Removable Drive (SD-EXT).
4. Put the downloaded file in the root (ie main area) of SD-EXT (not Internal Storage). No need to change the name or extract it (although just put in the update, not the CRC file).
5. Eject both MOT and Removable Drive and disconnect the phone from your computer.
6. Power phone down
7. Reboot into stock recovery (adb reboot recovery) by holding Power and Volume Up/Down at the same time.
8. Select "Recovery" by pressing Volume Down, then press Volume Up to initiate it.
9. When the robot appears, press both Volume keys in at the same time.
10. Select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then Power to initiate it.
11. Using the Volume keys, choose the file that you downloaded (above), press Power and let it load.
12. When the install is done, press Power. It'll reboot, but it'll be longer than normal.

The whole process, from moving the file into the SD-EXT card to phone rebooted is about 15 minutes. Of that, most of the time will be the first time rebooting. A long time to stare at your phone, I admit.

NOTE: A word to the wise, things can change between now and when ICS officially comes out OTA. For example, it looks like 6.7.232 is the newest one. See it at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-bionic/215557-new-ics-leak-6-7-232-a.html

Last edited: