4G LTE dropping

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by DrPepper721, Jun 29, 2011.

1. DrPepper721

DrPepper721 New Member

My DROID Charge constantly likes to drop its 4G connection and then it switches up to a 3G connection. Is there anyway I can fix my DROID into not dropping the 4G connection?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums
  2. Tornado Rex

Tornado Rex New Member

Try turning Wifi off. That seems to have worked for me. It seemed like every time I got in range of a wifi hotspot 4g would drop. I turned wifi off and it seems to be holding 4g just fine now.
  3. Vidguy7

Vidguy7 New Member

Unfortunately not. Switching off wifi will not do it for the overwhelming majority of users as evidenced by the countless threads on this since the phone came out. Just like with the 'no data connectivity' issue, nobody has an answer...certainly not VZW. A VZW tech on the VZW forum indicated that Samsung & VZW are aware of these data issues and 'investigating' them. Don't hold your breath.
  4. BeefJerky

BeefJerky New Member

I find it does that only when it has a weak 4G signal. Keep in mind that that the signal strength bars indicate the strength of the 1x (phone) signal, not 4G. As such, it may be dropping to 3G because the 4G signal is too weak to work reliably.

I've found that the Droid Charge handles this much better than the Thunderbolt. I have a weak 4G signal in my home. When I encounter the weak signal with the TB, it will insist on staying in 4G mode rather than dropping to 3G (or occasionally would drop all the way to 1x data). However, when I actually tried to *use* it, it would repeatedly drop in and out, so using it was incredibly frustrating and slow. I'd much rather have a solid 3G signal like the Charge offers, than the intermittent 4G of the TB in a weak 4G signal area.
  5. Down2Earth

Down2Earth New Member

Beef, really?

My girlfriend has the charge and I've noticed it has a better radio/reception than
    the Charge, and I've tested this with 3 different Verizon Retailers side by side.

(So cal)

As an example she will get 20Mb/s while I get 15, but in our area she'll get 15 while
    I get around 11-13...although I haven't tested our phones side by side since July 27th.

Anyway as far as your last statement, the 3G and 4G toggle app renders that issue moot. (if you're talking about a solid 3G connection) which she has since the usage of said app.
  6. DrPepper721

DrPepper721 New Member

Okay. Thanks alt guys.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums
  7. BeefJerky

BeefJerky New Member

Yes, really.

I personally noticed no differences in reception between the TB and Charge in my area. I also generally get similar data speeds with both the Charge and TB, and sometimes the Charge is a bit faster. This includes areas with both weak and strong signals, and both 3G and 4G areas. This proves (once again) that personal experiences differ. Whether this is due to network differences or phone manufacturing tolerances, I don't know.

I disagree. I don't want to have to (nor *should* I have to) manually force my phone into 3G when I want to use it in a weak 4G area. The phone should be able to handle that properly. The Charge does, the TB doesn't.
Search tags for this page
4g drops to 3g
are videos dropping on 4g lite
cricket 4g keeps dropping to 3g
drop in signal strength with lte
gs4 keeps dropping mobile data
keep losing my 4g connection on my droid
lg g3 dropping lte signal
verizon who does my 4g drop to 3g
verizon wireless 4g lte drops on droid charge phone
why does my 4g verizon phone keep going to 3g

why does my 4lte drop out to 3