4g is fine, TB won't stay connected to PC

none1

Reaction score
Hi all!

I have in the past, rarely, had the "thunderbolt can't get a signal" disconnects that many have had. Recently, (within last two weeks), I have a new issue.

I can't get the TB to stay connected to the PC. For hotspot, I turn hotspot on, it connects, everything is great. Often (6 times an hour now?) the wireless connection drops, and when I look at the phone ... phone says 4g signal strength fine, can browse internet on phone fine, BUT, hotspot shows 0 connected users. Turn hotspot off, turn hotspot on, computer wireless connects, internet on PC works fine for awhile, THEN DROPS, hotspot says no connected users, rinse and repeat.

The thunderbolt seems to have 4g connection just fine the whole time, but, hotspot won't keep my PC connected. Related issue .... I figured I'd try a USB cable, in case there was some wierd wireless issue .. but ... I connect the USB cable to PC, it starts to charge so I know they're connected but .. when I click on internet connection, it gives me a message that says "connect USB to computer" .....

/sigh

Anyone got any help to get PC internet back up and stable through the thunderbolt?

Thanks!

Nyobie

Reaction score
I'm sorry I don't have a suggested fix. I discovered a similar issue today on my netbook. It was the first time I used the hotspot feature with the Thunderbolt as I was going to update a software package while multi-tasking and I couldn't keep a connection for long. By 'not long' I think the signal dropped a dozen times in about 10 minutes. I didn't have time to fiddle around with it any more but I verified the settings which are relatively benign and still had the problem. The 4G signal where I was using it during the dropout is super strong and super fast so I don't think I was on the fringe or that heavy traffic was an issue. At first, I thought it was the netbook overheating and losing the wifi connection but the connection between the hotspot and the netbook was fine. It was the netbook to internet connection that kept dropping out which says to me it's the phone or network, not the netbook. I came here to see if I could find similar issues and found your post. Let's hope someone has a suggestion on what might be the problem.

Nyobie

Reaction score
I've been online with the hotspot now for about 20 minutes and haven't had a single glitch. I'm using my home computer so I'm still not convinced this means anything, but it's something. At least the phone itself seems to be working fine from home.

It might be worth mentioning that I uninstalled 2 apps - Go Launcher and Go Launcher EX. I have no clue if this would have any bearing. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't but I'm no expert when it comes to the OS on these things. I'd consider myself a 2nd semester Freshman at this point when it comes to learning. I've learned the UI on the stock EVO 4G and now the Thunderbolt and can navigate a variety of settings with familiarity but now I'm starting to study up on the OS and I've just gotten started in the past couple weeks. I hope someone more knowledgeable than me knows what's going on with our setups.

johnd09

Reaction score
I just started trying to tether and mine wont even start, I can't even get to the tether settings, it fc's. I'm rooted so I'm gonna try some diferent radios and see if that helps. I'm going on a long trip so I really want to get it working by next week. If anyone has any input I would appreciate it.

Nyobie

Reaction score
OP and johnd, any luck getting hotspot to work reliably?

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

ibedatthunderbolt

Reaction score
@Nyobie - Are you paying for your hotspot service? If so I would suggest canceling and downloading an app called "Open Garden" from the market. Same thing and it's free. Works fine.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Nyobie

Reaction score
Yes, I'm a paying customer with Hotspot at $30. Thanks for the tip!

Charged

Reaction score
Yes, I'm a paying customer with Hotspot at $30. Thanks for the tip!

Sorry to hear you're paying for hotspot, as am I.. Not that you should get it for free... but rather because it's less reliable than using a couple cans connected by string to transfer data. Seems to be a problem with all Verizon LTE phones. If anyone has a much newer LTE phone that they've never heard of an internet problem with, I'm all eyes.

Nyobie

Reaction score
I wonder why that's the case. Hotspot with my netbook was erradic but with the home desktop, it worked fine for a good stretch of time. I'm gonna try it with the ipad and see if it works reliably in different areas. The netbook is notorious for erradic wifi connections. I read somewhere that it had something to do with temp.

johnd09

Reaction score
OP and johnd, any luck getting hotspot to work reliably?

I had to flash back to pure stock firmware to get it to work properly and even then apple devices caused it to cycle data on and off. It is very odd, I connected 4 windows pcs and android devices to it and it worked fine. A friend connected his mac or iPod and bam I would have to go into airplane mode to stop it from cycling data on and off. Didn't seem to do it on LTE though just on 3g, evidently the 3g radio doesn't like apple devices.

Nyobie

Reaction score
That seems strange. My iPad works fine with the Thunderbolt hotspot but my Toshiba netbook won't stay. Seems the opposite is happening with me. What Windows version were the devices using?

NACPEYE

Reaction score
I have been dealing with the same problem for 6 months now. Verizon has changed my phone 3 times...with no luck. I have spent more time on the phone with Tech Support than anyone should have to. Some say it is a software issue that is being worked on. We have changed internal settings on several occasions. Some have seemed to work, but only for 10 or 15 minutes, and then it reverts back to dropping the data connection every 30 seconds. Until today!!!! There was a discussion on the general forums that I found for another phone (can't remember which one), but a poster had suggested that they download "tcpoptimiser" and change the MTU setting. I have been suspicious that certain computers have been the problem all along. Well, I downloaded the program and let it optimize the internet settings and it has not dropped yet. I am going to speak softly because I don't want to jinx anything, but it has been over an hour now with success. So I would say give it a try. Speedguide.net is the site and you want tcpoptimixer. You might have to sign on as an administrator, but the program will tell you (as it did me) what to do. THIS IS FANTASTIC! Finally a solution that Tech Support needs to know about.

Charged

Reaction score
Could you please detail exactly which settings you changed? Did you simply click "optimal"?

NACPEYE

Reaction score
The original posting had said to change the MTU to 1400. I hit "optimal", which changed it to 1428 and it seems to work. It has been going strong since I did this. I really have not checked into the changes that have been made, but whatever changes there are have worked. It changes the registry and forces a restart for the changes to take effect. Good Luck!

Nyobie

Reaction score
I found a thread in another forum suggesting to run a TCPIP optimizer. I Googled 'tcpip optimizer' and downloaded a file from one of the first sites that popped up in the search. I ran the .exe file and allowed the SW to do the adjustments automatically. I connected to my Netbook afterwards and everything worked perfectly for well over an hour. I'm pretty sure it was the lack of optimization that was preventing me from remaining connected to the Netbook. My home desktop which is about the same age as the Netbook stayed connected for a few hours when I was testing the PC to see if there was a connectivity difference between the PC and the Netbook. I think it was the Netbook that needed to be adjusted. It's worth a try! It seems to have worked for me.