4G in Sioux Falls

Kelmey

Reaction score
Sounds like 4g gets turned on on thursday.

I would love to hear that this statement is true. Can you let me know where you heard this and if there's any truth to it?

Update: Called local Verizon store and the rep wasn't really sure on when they were going live with 4G but he said any day. I said if there was any truth to an April 21st release and he said it's very possible. I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

Thuderboltz

Reaction score
Still on 3G...

Have not yet seen any 4G LTE at all... It's off an on between 3G and 1x for me and I have the Thunderbolt. Defective phone maybe?

Thuderboltz

Reaction score
I've not seen any 4G at all though. Quite a few people have said they've seen some 4G that's touch and go. I heard a rumor that dialing *228 will fry your SIM card. Something tells me Verizon would be smarter than that. Anyone actually know the truth to this?

Kelmey

Reaction score
I've not seen any 4G at all though. Quite a few people have said they've seen some 4G that's touch and go. I heard a rumor that dialing *228 will fry your SIM card. Something tells me Verizon would be smarter than that. Anyone actually know the truth to this?

All I know is I tried it several times and it would just disconnect immediately. I then searched and found out *228 doesnt apply to 4G phones. My phone is fine, so I don't think it damages the SIM card.

Kelmey

Reaction score
I've been seeing the 1X lately too and just did some research. Turns out Verizon has been having issues with the 4G network this week and it's been down for 2 days. The outage also postponed the launch of the new 4G Droid Charge that was supposed to come out today. Guess Sioux Falls will be waiting longer for them to get the bugs worked out before they launch here, oh well.

Samsung DROID Charge May Be Delayed Because Of Verizon 4G Network Failure

Thuderboltz

Reaction score
I went into the Verizon store next to hobby town USA and got a new SIM card. Turns out, dialing *228 can actually ruin your SIM card. They also said that we have been getting 4G LTE off an on because they're testing their pilot towers. He said end of June at the latest hopefully it'll be on for good.

Kelmey

Reaction score
I went into the Verizon store next to hobby town USA and got a new SIM card. Turns out, dialing *228 can actually ruin your SIM card. They also said that we have been getting 4G LTE off an on because they're testing their pilot towers. He said end of June at the latest hopefully it'll be on for good.

Interesting, how would I know if I damaged the SIM card? Would I just flat out not get 4G or is there some way to see if it's active?

Thuderboltz

Reaction score

Interesting, how would I know if I damaged the SIM card? Would I just flat out not get 4G or is there some way to see if it's active?
I'm not really sure of a way to check. I was dropping 3G every so often and never have seen 4G on my phone and I'm around USF and Augie. They got me a new one for free and it took about 20 minutes to a half an hour.

Reaction score
It's not going to damage your SIM card. A guy at Best Buy Mobile actually showed me printed instructions on how to do it and he would know way more than any Verizon rep.

I've been dropping 3G on and off on a couple different Thunderbolts (other issues) and have never seen LTE come up on my device at all. I haven't done anything with *228 yet. Been everywhere from UC/STI to Augie and USF and just have never seen it. A friend had it come up on Louise around by the Wal-Mart even and I'm around that area a lot and never have seen it.

BWJunior

Reaction score
For all those in Sioux Falls you likely have already noticed but if not, Verizon flipped on the 4G switch late last night. 4G is finally here in the tech wasteland!

Sent from my tricked out Thunderbolt

chadashcroft22

Reaction score
Possibly might have fixed my rebooting problem. I will keep u guys informed. Oh the 3g speeds sucked so much only like 2 good towers thank god for 4G such a huge upgrade

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Last edited: