4G icon doesn't disappear on Wifi?

dhinged

Reaction score
When I connect to Wifi, the 4G icon doesn't disappear like the 3G icon did when I connected to Wifi on my Droid. Does that mean the Razr is still using 4G data? I could go into Wifi settings and disable mobile data, which made the icon go away (and didn't affect the Wifi icon), but I don't want to have to do this everytime. I don't want it falling back on 4G while I'm connected to Wifi if something isn't processed when it expects it to.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
When I connect to Wifi, the 4G icon doesn't disappear like the 3G icon did when I connected to Wifi on my Droid. Does that mean the Razr is still using 4G data? I could go into Wifi settings and disable mobile data, which made the icon go away (and didn't affect the Wifi icon), but I don't want to have to do this everytime. I don't want it falling back on 4G while I'm connected to Wifi if something isn't processed when it expects it to.

Yes, it means that the cellular data is still connected. It's not transmitting data over the cellular connection, but it is staying connected (which can impact battery life). After I first got my MAXX, it was doing this. How I solved it was to set up a Smart Action to automatically turn off mobile data when connected to WiFi. This way, the phone does it for you, and you don't have to manually turn off mobile data. One of the sample actions in Smart Actions might be for this, but I don't remember for sure.

OP
dhinged

dhinged

Reaction score
Yes, it means that the cellular data is still connected. It's not transmitting data over the cellular connection, but it is staying connected (which can impact battery life). After I first got my MAXX, it was doing this. How I solved it was to set up a Smart Action to automatically turn off mobile data when connected to WiFi. This way, the phone does it for you, and you don't have to manually turn off mobile data. One of the sample actions in Smart Actions might be for this, but I don't remember for sure.

Awesome! However, does this turn off phone usage as well?

ddenuzz

Reaction score
Awesome! However, does this turn off phone usage as well?

Ive got that same smart action set up. It only disables the data connection which is the most taxing on the phone's battery. The voice connection remains.

Trash Can

Reaction score
Ive got that same smart action set up. It only disables the data connection which is the most taxing on the phone's battery. The voice connection remains.

True, and SMS messages will continue to function normally. However, a cellular data connection is required to send/receive MMS messages.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

True, and SMS messages will continue to function normally. However, a cellular data connection is required to send/receive MMS messages.

Yes and yes!

Lkvcutie

Reaction score
bsweetness said:

My Max does the same thing when i connect to my wifi. So here's my question with the 4g icon still there and the wifi being connected is the phone using both the wifi and the 4g? If i decide to do the smart actions to turn off the mobile data when connected to wifi will i still be able to access the internet from my phone?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
My Max does the same thing when i connect to my wifi. So here's my question with the 4g icon still there and the wifi being connected is the phone using both the wifi and the 4g? If i decide to do the smart actions to turn off the mobile data when connected to wifi will i still be able to access the internet from my phone?

Yep, you'll still be able to access the internet because the WiFi on your phone will be on. :)

When you're connected to WiFi, but the 4G (or 3G) icon is still in the notification bar, the phone is using WiFi for the internet, not the mobile data connection. So, as far as data connectivity goes, it's only using WiFi. But it is maintaining a connection to the 4G/3G network for mobile data, and maintaining that connection will have a negative impact on your battery life.

Lkvcutie

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
Yep, you'll still be able to access the internet because the WiFi on your phone will be on. :)

When you're connected to WiFi, but the 4G (or 3G) icon is still in the notification bar, the phone is using WiFi for the internet, not the mobile data connection. So, as far as data connectivity goes, it's only using WiFi. But it is maintaining a connection to the 4G/3G network for mobile data, and maintaining that connection will have a negative impact on your battery life.

Thanks!!! I just set up a smart action to disable the mobile data when my wifi is turned on.

Lkvcutie

Reaction score
I have a question and hopefully some one on here can help me out. I set up a smart action to turn off my wifi once i hit a certain location. Obviously when i leave my house it will start searching for other wifi networks but once i hit the location that i want it to turn off at it doesn't. Why is that? Is it even possible to do that type of thing with the smart action or do i have to go in and turn the wifi off my self?

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lkvcutie said:
I have a question and hopefully some one on here can help me out. I set up a smart action to turn off my wifi once i hit a certain location. Obviously when i leave my house it will start searching for other wifi networks but once i hit the location that i want it to turn off at it doesn't. Why is that? Is it even possible to do that type of thing with the smart action or do i have to go in and turn the wifi off my self?

Look for an app called wifi auto off by Verizon. It uses your cellular location to turn wifi on/off... when I leave my house wifi turns off. Arriving at my work it turns back on.

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----

Lkvcutie

Reaction score
thaDroidz said:
Look for an app called wifi auto off by Verizon. It uses your cellular location to turn wifi on/off... when I leave my house wifi turns off. Arriving at my work it turns back on.

Thanks!! One last thing i also set up another smart action to put my phone on vibrate when i reach my work location the other night it worked but last night i had to go in and put the phone on vibrate my self. any thoughts on what i can do to get it to work better?

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lkvcutie said:
Thanks!! One last thing i also set up another smart action to put my phone on vibrate when i reach my work location the other night it worked but last night i had to go in and put the phone on vibrate my self. any thoughts on what i can do to get it to work better?

What is the trigger you are using?
I use Wi-Fi for most of my location triggers. Sometimes the wifi doesn't connect for a few minutes and I get delays.

Lkvcutie

Reaction score
thaDroidz said:
What is the trigger you are using?
I use Wi-Fi for most of my location triggers. Sometimes the wifi doesn't connect for a few minutes and I get delays.

The only trigger i am using is the location where i just typed in the address of my work place.