4G and New Droids?

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
So I was talking with my friends that own a droid 2 and a DX. One of them said that with 4G, we maybe able to get cell service in the subway (NYC). I tried to explain to them the high cost of 4G, with its tiered payments and such, and they said that it's free for the D2 and DX.

Just wondering how true this really is, because last time I checked, neither phone had a 4G radio in it. And if this is true, I know what phone I'm upgrading to at the end of the month - unless the Dinc HD comes out...

googlelover

Reaction score
No, they are both wrong, neither phone has a 4g radio in it so no need to upgrade to those phones it'd be better to wait anyways as the new Motorola tegra 2 phone with 4g should be coming to Verizon early 2011 anyways, it will blow away any phone out now supposedly. and a side note, LTE pricing for smartphones hasn't been announced so we don't know if it will be tiered or much more expensive then current 3g plans.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
One of them said that with 4G, we maybe able to get cell service in the subway (NYC).
What's the reasoning behind this? 4G requires greater tower density due to falloff. Unless 4G sites are installed in the subway it won't make a difference.

I tried to explain to them the high cost of 4G, with its tiered payments and such, and they said that it's free for the D2 and DX.

Just wondering how true this really is, because last time I checked, neither phone had a 4G radio in it.
You are correct. Always consider the source is all I can say.