1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

.4 rom and wifi tether

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by AndyMan, Aug 17, 2010.

1. AndyMan

AndyMan New Member

Hey guys I am sending this from my droid because I'm on the road right now. I can't get the wifi tether to work anymore.. I'm trying to test it with my sisters incredible, but it doesn't even see it. I have tried a few of the releases from the google app download page but none seem to work.. any ideas?? Thanks
  2. jmeden

jmeden New Member

The wifi tether prolly still works. Wifi tether apps create an ad-hoc network, which for some reason can't be connected to by android phones. If you use something else like a laptop or mp3 player to connect it will most likely work.
  3. AndyMan

AndyMan New Member

Thanks for the suggestion, ill dig the laptop out soon and check
  4. jmeden

jmeden New Member

No problem. Also, if you really need it to work on your android phone or something, you can just use windows vista or 7 to share the network it's attached to. When your laptop creates a network it won't be ad-hoc and can be used by any wireless device.
  5. rlarson_mn

rlarson_mn New Member

When ever I have had an issue with the 'Wireless Tether' Market place application I fixed it by uninstalling it and doing another downloading again and installing. Not sure why it sometimes just stops but hey thats part of life I guess in the fast lane. :icon_ banana:
  6. jkhouw1

jkhouw1 New Member

i wrote to the developer of the wifi tether app and apparently the kernel bugless beast .4 includes does not have all the requirements for wifi tether. you can still run bb .4, you just need a different kernel.

btw this is only for connecting a device that will recognize an adhoc network.

With the default bb kernel i was only able to get certain versions (i don't recall which) to work with the wifi tether Access Control turned OFF.

for this and other reasons, i gave up on bb - maybe will try .5 when/if its ever released - for now happy on FR22B.

from the wifi tether developer:
    The problem you're having isn't a problem with the application, it's with your kernel. It was configured and compiled without all of the necessary netfilter options.

Walking you through the steps is a little out of the scope of this project, but you need to make sure that the kernel configuration includes both CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MAC=y
    and
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MULTIPORT=y

see http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/issues/detail?id=427&can=1&q=bugless
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  7. meepstone

meepstone New Member

I never could get this to work. Tried a few times using my friend laptop. never see's my network that should of been created from my phone.
  8. Silentknyght

Silentknyght New Member

Yeah, I just noticed this too. I don't need access control, but it's nice. Disappointing that BB0.4 doesn't have those features in the kernel, because I know earlier BB versions did. I wish there was a good fix until 0.5.
Search tags for this page

config netfilter xt match mac