4 months with droid, now my gmail hacked....

shugknight

Reaction score
I work in IT and I am well aware of phishing and spyware (keyloggers, etc).

I can't even remember which one it was but it asked for my username and password. I thought it odd at the time but I supplied it anyway. Now I can remember which one it was.

Wait.. You work in IT, yet you failed to remember the #1 rule in IT? You sound like the users at my company.

Don't blame the Droid for something you did. YOU downloaded that rogue app. YOU supplied your username/password EVEN though YOU had a suspicion that there was something wrong with it. Then you come on here, attack everyone that is trying to help you, and blame the Droid for your irresponsible acts? Shame on you my friend.

boodles07

Reaction score
Well same thing here, get a Droid get hacked. It seems likely that it is not a coincidence. Hacked from someone in Nigeria. Took control of gmail then Facebook. This automatic syncing crap is ridiculous. I want to be able to log out of gmail, not use it to sync and need it to get to an app market. This phone may end up on Craigslist, the call quality sucks besides, it was better with my dumb phone. Anyone find a solution to getting hacked on your phone because that is what happened. Had gmail account for years and years then get a Droid and bam, hacked!

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well same thing here, get a Droid get hacked. It seems likely that it is not a coincidence. Hacked from someone in Nigeria. Took control of gmail then Facebook. This automatic syncing crap is ridiculous. I want to be able to log out of gmail, not use it to sync and need it to get to an app market. This phone may end up on Craigslist, the call quality sucks besides, it was better with my dumb phone. Anyone find a solution to getting hacked on your phone because that is what happened. Had gmail account for years and years then get a Droid and bam, hacked!
300,000 Android activations per day, 130,000 plus on DroidForums, and only a handful have ever accused an application from the Android market for hacking into your gmail account. I really think you need to visit a different possibility.

boodles07

Reaction score
Since I am unsure of the origin I cannot say with 100% certainty that it was the droid but I JUST got it and I just got hacked, awfully coincidental dont you think?

MinnieCCRG

Reaction score
same story

My Gmail was hacked too. South Korea for me. Sent spam to all of my contacts. I changed my password and continued to get alerts saying someone was trying to log in to my account. So I closed my gmail and opened a new one. Now I can't erase the old/default gmail on my phone. Because the gmail doesn't exist anymore, I cannot access Marketplace or much of anything. The only solution is to wipe my phone unless someone reading this has different advice. I am trying to back up some of my texts (personal reasons) but can't, no marketplace (handcent app) and can't download from my computer..doesn't recognize my sd card or mass storage. Does anyone know a fix for this?

Lenagainster

Reaction score
My Gmail account was accessed from a suspicious IP address. 192.55.31.44 Changed password to two step verification. 2-step is not available on Android, so Google generated a 16 character code. Two days later, my Gmail was accessed by the same IP plus 1 (192.55.31.45). Activity list showed the IP located in OK, but a Google search showed the IP in Scotsdale AZ. Now, the IP location on the Activity List (for the same day) was changed to FL. Weird. When I change the Google generated password, eventually my Droid puts up a notice that it can't access my online Picasa album without the new password. So I've entered it. I think I will generate a new password and log on to Picasa web album via my computer, and not via the phone.
AFAIK, none of my contacts have been spammed, none of the information (secret Qs & As) has been changed. I suspected an app (Astrid) that has access to my Google calendar, and removed it. No suspicious activity in a week.
Sad that this thread from January did not end with a resolution to the issue.

Reaction score
Suspicious

I personally am very suspicious about apps and permissions. For the big, well known companies, I don't like them gathering data they don't need to perform the function I have their app for. But for lesser know entities, I often choose not to install an app because it requests permissions that don't make sense.

For e.g., a timer app that wants full internet access, access to my phone calls and contacts. Hmmm.

crackedvenom

Reaction score
This is true. My home IP shows that I'm in Florida. Not too worried. Btw, I use the full 100 characters google allowa for a password...lol. I don't know it but I use roboform so I don't have to know it.

Seriously? Lol. What about when signing in on Android? Which, usually, is only like once, but lol. I just had to chime in for that. Im glad this thread had replies from a month ago so i wasnt bumping an old thread.

Also, there is an app in the market, which will deny permissions, which is called Permissions Denied. I havent tried it but it has decent reviews on it. Though, it says, if you deny a permission that is needed, it may end up force closing. Also, "CAUTION: Disabling start at boot perms on downloaded system replacement apps (eg VZW) will likely cause boot loop! Have a nandroid ready. - DroidX"

So it could come in handy, but be careful what you deny.

Heres the web link: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.stericson.permissions&feature=search_result