4 months with droid, now my gmail hacked....

reitman1

Reaction score
I was trying to think of any apps that require you to sign into your gmail account. The only one that comes to the top of my head offhand is Appbrain. Were any of you using that app?

Last edited:

jefbystereo

Reaction score
I dont have that, app. Ones that I have that use my google PW are

:do use it
gTasks
NewsRob

:might use it
GV (the unofficial app)- cant remember if this uses my pw but I think it does
Mobile GA (google analytics app, unofficial)
Calendars? I have pure grid and cal widget

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very odd. Just checked mine... says I was logged on mobile from VA yesterday. I live in MA!

It was a mobile usage too. Odd. Have to keep an eye on it.

Did just change my password to be safe.

Last edited:

dro

Reaction score
Very odd. Just checked mine... says I was logged on mobile from VA yesterday. I live in MA!

I just checked mine and was wondering about that too! I live in MN and it is showing my mobile usage from CO... lol 1,000 miles away

Last edited:

Murz

Reaction score

Just checked my account and it only shows two different IP addresses used in the last day or so, one is my work comp (currently using) and the other is my mobile IP. The strange thing is that one of the entries says that I was logged in from Washington DC 2.5 hours ago via the mobile IP. I also checked my sent mail box and havent had any strange emails sent out.

polack

Reaction score
Holy ****. just checked mine. now i only gmail for the purpose of purchasing apps but it was ****ing scary to see five different ip addresses accessing my account in the last 24 hours. And now i to just made a horribly hard password.

modette

Reaction score
I checked mine and this is what I had...
IP 97.184.241.93 showing as IMAP from MN First time it said 11 minutes ago, I just reloaded and it says 1 minute ago...funny thing is Gmail on my mobile is not on.

Here is the trace of who the IP belongs too...why is VZW from MN accessing things??? This is beyond my experience, so please someone chime in to explain this.

EDITED TO SAY: I use whois.sc to run IP traces...it is free and works for me the last 10+ years.

dro

Reaction score
I checked mine and this is what I had...
IP 97.184.241.93 showing as IMAP from MN First time it said 11 minutes ago, I just reloaded and it says 1 minute ago...funny thing is Gmail on my mobile is not on.

Here is the trace of who the IP belongs too...why is VZW from MN accessing things??? This is beyond my experience, so please someone chime in to explain this.

EDITED TO SAY: I use whois.sc to run IP traces...it is free and works for me the last 10+ years.

That isn't Verizon accessing your Gmail. It is coming back Verizon because it is an IP provided by them for your phone at the time it was accessing your Gmail. You say your Gmail is not on, but you need a Google account in order to use the phone as far as I know. It is very likely that it could show activity from your phone syncing, not you necessarily opening the email app. This is all speculation, I do not have any facts to back this up.

EbE404

Reaction score
OK, before anybody completely freaks out, understand what that information on the activity list is actually telling you. This will only tell you what the direct connection was, which means that if a proxy server is used (pretty common, likely that's the Verizon IP modette is seeing), that's the address that's going to show up. Odds are it's probably in a different geographic region, so don't worry too much, but definitely keep an eye on it.

What should be really concerning is if you see an IP from outside the country or if you see a concurrent session running. Close that session and immediately change your password.

Speaking of that, eliminate the word "password" from your vocabulary and change to "pass phrase". That's going to make it a lot easier to create strong passwords that you can actually remember.

Further more, never store passwords in your browser (they can be read as plain text if you know where to look), never use a public PC (hotel, library, etc.) for anything that requires a password, and avoid public WiFi hotspots with anything that involves a password.

Finally, for anybody who is using Gmail, make absolutely sure that you are logging in using HTTPS, whether you are doing it from a browser or from a client. This is now the default, but that's a recent change. For those of you who have had accounts for a while, check your bookmarks or client settings:

Changing the HTTPS setting - Gmail Help

nerdkill

Reaction score
someone accessing my gmail account from Tennessee? i don't think i've had any spam go out, is there a way someone elses i.p. address could show up as accessing my account? someone was saying something about an i.p. blocker?

EbE404

Reaction score
someone accessing my gmail account from Tennessee? i don't think i've had any spam go out, is there a way someone elses i.p. address could show up as accessing my account? someone was saying something about an i.p. blocker?

As I mentioned in my post right above yours, what you are probably seeing is a proxy server. From Google's Help File on that matter:

In addition, some mobile providers and internet proxies may also appear in your recent login history, and in some cases, may appear to come from a different geographic location than you are normally based in.

Unfortunately, this data is only a starting point in investigating if something fishy is going on.

The rest of the article can be found here:

Last account activity - Gmail Help

TheDJ

Reaction score
I posted in a different thread, but just saw this one.

Today my Gmail account was hacked from Italy, and same as others, over 5 years and this never happened.

This def looks like it has to do with the Droid as I have never had my account hacked and I am on Wifi at my house and it is very secure as well as my gmail password.

TheDJ

Reaction score
Article on account compromises with hotmail, gmail and yahoo:
Compromised Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail accounts exploited in fake shopping scam

Thanks, however the point I am trying to make is how my account got compromised.

I did not click on any links, or was a victim of a phishing attack, as all my SPAM is deleted and I never open a email from anyone I am not sure of. I just received my Droid no to long ago and now my account has been hacked.

So I guess it comes down to a security flaw in Gmail, but I would like to know how my account was hacked, and the only thing I can pinpoint it to is the mobile device.