4 months with droid, now my gmail hacked....

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by blucrewfan, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Zandog

Zandog New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Gmail Help forum is beginning to see more account hacked activity. Report this to abuse@gmail.com, provide as much information as you can. Especially your phone model, OS version and provider.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=77127463d8f40cb6&hl=en

If your account has been compromised/hacked/stolen you will need to check and fix at least all of the following settings.

But first you need to check the bottom of the Inbox and make sure your account is not open at any other locations. If it shows additional locations, open the Details window and "Sign out all other sessions".

Account Security:
    Settings -> Accounts and Import -> Google Account Settings -> Change Password [pick a new secure password]
    Settings -> Accounts and Import -> Google Account Settings -> Change Password Recovery Options [verify secret question, SMS and recovery e-mail address]

Potential Spam:
    Settings -> General -> Signature [make sure nothing as been added]
    Settings -> General -> Vacation Responder [make sure it's disabled and empty]

E-mail Theft

Settings -> Accounts and Import -> Send Mail As [make sure it is using your correct e-mail address]
    Settings -> Filters [no filters that forward or delete e-mail]
    Settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP -> Forwarding [disabled or correct address]
    Settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP -> POP Download [disabled]
    Settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP -> IMAP Access [disabled]

Additional Information
    Keeping account secure: https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=46526
    Protecting your account: https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=29407
    More account security info: http://www.google.com/help/security/
    If your account is compromised: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=50270
    Someone using your address: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=50200
    Google Employee comments: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=560d53dee40be5e6&hl=en&start=70

#25 Zandog, Apr 13, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  2. Laramie

Laramie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Tag for further reading. I never had a password issue until after I got my droid.

Better get working on my tin-foil hat ;-)

3. jefbystereo

jefbystereo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Wow, this thread is kind of scary to see. Like others, I have had my gmail account for ~5.5 years, never had ANY account of mine ever hacked, and 4 days ago my gmail account was hacked. I caught it a minute after it started but 30 spam emails had already been sent out. In terms of droid usage I only connect to 1 wifi network(home) and use 3g for everything else.

Ill be following this thread with interest to see if many more people are having this problem.

4. shugknight

shugknight Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Try not associating the fact that your Gmail account got hacked and that you have a Droid. I don't think this has anything to do with the fact that you have a Droid, but the fact that somebody has your password.

The reason why there has been numerous Gmail accounts being hacked recently, might be because of the fact that Android/Google phones have been selling more and they require you to create a GMail account

5. Loyrl

Loyrl Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Tagged for reading later.

6. searayman

searayman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    same **** happened to me sent an email to all my contacts sending them to a Canadian pharmacy website.

7. reitman1

reitman1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was trying to think of any apps that require you to sign into your gmail account. The only one that comes to the top of my head offhand is Appbrain. Were any of you using that app?

#31 reitman1, Apr 13, 2010
  8. jefbystereo

jefbystereo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I dont have that, app. Ones that I have that use my google PW are

:do use it
    gTasks
    NewsRob

:might use it
    GV (the unofficial app)- cant remember if this uses my pw but I think it does
    Mobile GA (google analytics app, unofficial)
    Calendars? I have pure grid and cal widget

#32 jefbystereo, Apr 13, 2010
  9. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    Very odd. Just checked mine... says I was logged on mobile from VA yesterday. I live in MA!

It was a mobile usage too. Odd. Have to keep an eye on it.

Did just change my password to be safe.

#33 Martin030908, Apr 13, 2010
  10. dro

dro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just checked mine and was wondering about that too! I live in MN and it is showing my mobile usage from CO... lol 1,000 miles away

#34 dro, Apr 13, 2010
  11. Murz

Murz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just checked my account and it only shows two different IP addresses used in the last day or so, one is my work comp (currently using) and the other is my mobile IP. The strange thing is that one of the entries says that I was logged in from Washington DC 2.5 hours ago via the mobile IP. I also checked my sent mail box and havent had any strange emails sent out.

12. polack

polack Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Holy ****. just checked mine. now i only gmail for the purpose of purchasing apps but it was ****ing scary to see five different ip addresses accessing my account in the last 24 hours. And now i to just made a horribly hard password.

Search tags for this page
android email hacked
android gmail hacked

android phone gmail hacked

craigs list app hacked my gmail
gmail android hacked account
gmail hack for android
hack gmail android
hack gmail via android
i thought my facebookwasbeing hacked geographic locations
what to do if your gmail was hacked on android x2