4 days of use and a few problems

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by boundlesswater, Jul 24, 2011.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. boundlesswater

boundlesswater Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I, like many other people, got the Droid Charge after having missing call issues on the Samsung Fascinate. I also managed to get a brand new one, not a CLNR. I've been in love with the phone since I got it but now I've been running into some problems.

1.) Apps WILL NOT uninstall. Reboot the phone and they're ALL back. Every time. Even tried SuperBox Pro. They don't uninstall.

2.) My MicroSD card is recognized about 50% of the time.

3.) Most apps now force close on me. They include: Twitter, Android Market, Facebook, LauncherPro, Swiftkey X, and the Amazon Appstore.

4.) Endless loop of rebooting occured earlier this morning. Randomly rebooting on me was one thing, but when it continuously rebooted for 20 or 30 minutes, I had it.

5.) Received a picture message from one of my friends and the Messaging application force closed every time I tried to look at it. Deleted the conversation and now works. Goodbye 768 text messages.

*Edit* 6.) Apps will also not install. Tried to install TweetCaster instead of Twitter, didn't work. Tried to install Fandango and on the second try it installed. Fandango force closes every time I open it.

I'm not sure whats going on. May be due to a few power surges this morning, they may not. I don't know. Help please!
  2. expidia

expidia New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did you do the latest recommended update from VZ?
    If so, I would first call VZ's tech support and have them restore your Charge to factory default settings (I think you can call them 24/7). Let them also make sure the update goes through before you hang up with them.
    Then only add programs from Marketplace 1 at a time and wait a day or so before you add another one. This might isolate a particular program that is causing your issue.

If that fails to solve your problem then go into a VZ store and have them swap the Charge for a new one. Watch when they take it out of the box, that they don't try and pass you off a previously returned device. They tried that on me and I refused it. A VZ reseller store is more prone to trying to pull this off on you too.

Your Charge should work flawlessly. Mine does and I've used like 15 various devices over many years and this one is the best!

Unless of course you are the type that roots it out of the box or downloads many apps during the first few days you own it and then complains that it's screwed up! Just saying . . . as I see this on other forums all the time!

I always give each new program from the marketplace a few days and see if it effects the device. Just because a program is from the marketplace doesn't mean it can't have bugs. After all the Charge is only a few months old anyway.
  3. boundlesswater

boundlesswater Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't recall doing any updates when I got the phone. I activated it and began charging/using it immediately. I also would NEVER root my phone. Too many horror stories lol.

I decided to do a factory reset. Looked like everything was going smooth, until I turned it back on to all the same problems. I did a hard reset by going to the android boot menu. Same thing. I'm now stuck.
  4. expidia

expidia New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How long have you had the phone?
    If new why can't you swap it back at the store. You said you have been using it for 4 days. VZ's policy is 14 days for another "model" with a $35 restocking fee. But his has nothing to do with the 12 months coverage under VZ's warranty (unless you drop it or get it wet).

Just go into the store and explain your issue and tell them you want a replacement.

The first one for me, they took out of the box wouldn't activate when I bought mine several weeks ago. It took four of their rep clowns 2 hours of me waiting until I finally demanded from the manager he give me another new Charge as i was not walking out of the store with the first one. The 2nd one activated immediately.

Like I said, many users root or screw around with their Charge's right away and then return them to the store. Then the store checks them out and puts the now problematic Charge back in stock for resale "as new".

Did you buy your phone from a VZ company store or a re-seller?
  5. boundlesswater

boundlesswater Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I got the phone for free as a replacement, so i can't return it :(
  6. expidia

expidia New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, your replies are "too vague" for me to try and spend time pointing you in the right direction . . .

Maybe someone else can take it from here . . .

SeeYa!
  7. CTownDroid

CTownDroid Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Start by eliminating that Facebook App, it sucks azz.

I've had my Charge for about 6 weeks and have not had 1 problem (besides the facebook app).

Try going to the store, they may surprise you. I prefer *611, they are more helpful most of the time.
  8. boundlesswater

boundlesswater Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just talked to a really cool guy at Verizon for a good hour. We tried every method in the book and nothing worked. I'm getting a new one on Tuesday.

He came up with the idea that I may have downloaded an app that contained a virus or just clashed with another app on my phone and caused this catastrophe.
  9. expidia

expidia New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Or most likely the free phone you got was a refurb that already had issues. They may have told you they were giving you a new one but for a phone that sells for $299 it was probably a refurb.
  10. boundlesswater

boundlesswater Member

Ratings:
    +1
    That is also a possibility. Someone else online is having a similar problem to mine and it happened to them after updating a default verizon application. I did that earlier yesterday before hell broke loose.
  11. Jeht

Jeht New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am SO GLAD someone else is having this issue! I thought I was going insane with mine. I also went to the store today and they are mailing me a new one (why can't they just give a new one then and there... the store was empty, not like anyone else would know).

I'm trying to think now if I updated the verizon software before or after everything started going nuts.... maybe that was it.
    I can barely even use mine now. Every minute it pops up that something crashed. Oy, I can't wait for my replacement. (oh, and I bought my new, so it isn't a refurb thing)
  12. boundlesswater

boundlesswater Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm beginning to think it was the My Verizon Mobile app, Twitter, or Google Maps. Those are the last 3 apps I updated before my phone went awry. I'm leaning towards My Verizon Mobile due to the fact that I'm constantly notified of the new widget.
  13. Jeht

Jeht New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I don't have Twitter, and I didn't see any update for Google Maps, so I'm going with Verizon App as the culprit.
  14. Shurple

Shurple Member

Ratings:
    +0
    download LOOKOUT

and pay for the full version after the trial ends. No viruses, just takes a few extra seconds to install an app since it scans everything first!