Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Lets look at this comparison of The Bionic and the Atrix in the Laptop Dock...

Bionic:

248214_1998801243201_1038615681_2250848_5510881_n.jpg

Atrix:

motorola-atrix-laptop-dock.jpg

Credit for Photos:aps024 HoFo

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Its safe to say those "targa" photos released months ago were dx2 pics no?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

No. While there are some similarities, it looks quite different than the Droid X2. The Droid X2 was always supposed to be nearly identical to the original X so that the original accessories could still be used. According to the person who originally leaked the Targa reference designs, Motorola decided to go in a different direction for the Bionic's design (somewhat similar to the Etna design and the Droid 3 design) rather than with the original Targa render. But the original Targa design is still a reference for a phone that's now rumored to be hitting around the beginning of 2012.

Last edited:

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

No. While there are some similarities, it looks quite different than the Droid X2. The Droid X2 was always supposed to be nearly identical to the original X so that the original accessories could still be used. According to the person who originally leaked the Targa reference designs, Motorola decided to go in a different direction for the Bionic's design (somewhat similar to the Etna design and the Droid 3 design) rather than with the original Targa render. But the original Targa design is still a reference for a phone that's now rumored to be hitting around the beginning of 2012.

Not gonna lie, I never believed that rumor. I couldn't believe Moto would scrap it for the Targa, that's why I think they are two separate devices and that this is definitely the Bionic, whether others think it's a "hoax" or not.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

Not gonna lie, I never believed that rumor. I couldn't believe Moto would scrap it for the Targa, that's why I think they are two separate devices and that this is definitely the Bionic, whether others think it's a "hoax" or not.

Well, I think what happened was that they decided to incorporate some of the internal improvements from the Targa into the redesigned Bionic, but many people believed that everything had been scrapped and they were bumping the Targa up with the Bionic name. It seems what actually happened was that since the Targa was slated for a fall release, they just pulled out some of the tech from it and put it in the Bionic, slightly redesigning the physical appearance of the Bionic, and bumped the Targa into next year.

And I agree. At this point, with all of the pictures of an actual device, I think it's pretty clear that is the Bionic. It's not like these are renders that we're seeing (which are easily faked). There are no other rumored Verizon Motorola Android phones at this point, and the phone we're seeing is too far along in development. So unless Motorola has been able to keep something 100% below the radar (which isn't likely), it's the Bionic.

Last edited:

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah that does make sense. It's now running Gingerbread, a new version of Blur, and has the webtop dock too, and a new processor. Who knows what else Moto updated on this internally but I'm not complaining unless of course it has horrible battery life.

GBH2

Reaction score
Am I missing something? In all those pictures of the Bionic, I never saw a hump. The back seemed pretty flat to me.

droid-bionic2.png

There is clearly a hum. Although, it appears less pronounced than DX. You can tell mostly from a change in shading when looking at the back because of how they took the pictures. On some of the front pictures you can se that the shadow gets bigger by the top of the phone. Maybe look on a different monitor?

Lets look at this comparison of The Bionic and the Atrix in the Laptop Dock...

Bionic:

Atrix:

Some quick measurements from these photos and some math show the Bionic to be 4.3".(I got 4.33" actually)

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState

I remember back in April BMX said that: it would be a Hybrid of the CES Bionic and the Targa and More refined leading edge specs. He was correct.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I think that change in shading is from the picture itself. I don't see a hump. And the brightness is up on my laptop and it's pretty new (my resolution is full HD).

Agreed. It looks more like the lighting than an actual hump. The back looks very similar to the Droid 3 back, which appeared to be flat in the tutorial videos. Considering they evidently have the same camera, I wouldn't think one would have a hump and the other wouldn't.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agreed. It looks more like the lighting than an actual hump. The back looks very similar to the Droid 3 back, which appeared to be flat in the tutorial videos. Considering they evidently have the same camera, I wouldn't think one would have a hump and the other wouldn't.

I edited my post to link it to the angled (but blurry) pictures of the Bionic and it still looks flat, even in those pictures.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...picture-appears-droid-bionic.html#post1570699

GBH2

Reaction score
I think that change in shading is from the picture itself. I don't see a hump. And the brightness is up on my laptop and it's pretty new (my resolution is full HD).

You guys may be right - but that "shading", as well as the shadow on the front shots made me think it had a slight bump. There also appears to be a slight change in the "edge" of the back that denotes a curvature. We will see. :)

OP
OriginalDroid

OriginalDroid

Reaction score
"if what is" On the right truly is the bionic we're waiting on
Says Who? Says Who?

I said ""if what is" On the right truly is the bionic we're waiting on"

Sent from my Bugless Droid using DroidForums

Last edited:

bigdad63

Reaction score
Am I missing something? In all those pictures of the Bionic, I never saw a hump. The back seemed pretty flat to me.

droid-bionic2.png

There is clearly a hum. Although, it appears less pronounced than DX. You can tell mostly from a change in shading when looking at the back because of how they took the pictures. On some of the front pictures you can se that the shadow gets bigger by the top of the phone. Maybe look on a different monitor?

Bionic:

Atrix:

Great pickup on the hump. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me for a second. Right around the 4GLte symbol is a very very subtle hump that slightly cuts in as it rises. If you all don't believe it take something with a straight edge and line it up with the right side line (bottom of the phone) and it will be clear to you.
:)