4.3" or 4.5" You Decide?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think you're right about moto being 16:9 mostly. I honestly don't know what I prefer yet. The original Droid was my first smart phone, so I just haven't had enough time spent using other screens to know which I'd prefer. Although I do have an itouch, but just listen to music with it mostly.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
The point still stands that this phone was designed with the DX in mind, which has a 4.3'' screen. It will be the same screen.

I don't know if it was designed to take the place of the DX2 or not, but that wouldn't mean it would have to have the same screen. The Droid and Droid 2 both had 3.7" but it was bumped to 4" for the D3. The DX and DX2 have 4.3" so they might have wanted to bump the third one up to 4.5

Has anyone thought that they might use 4.5 screens just to get them made and have a surplus for the NEXT super phone they will make? Just putting my 2¢ in lol

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Game, set, match.

droidbionicscreensize.png

Thanks to the FCC documents: https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=1489100http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp231/Liderc21/droidbionicscreensize.png

das2042

Reaction score
I'm still holding out for a 4.5in HD screen. I think moto has something up their sleeves still with this phone! With all the leaks out there on specs and what not for them to still remain quiet on this and we're a month away.

PS don't anyone go raining on my parade! This is America and i can still dream can still dream can't I?

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
I'm still holding out for a 4.5in HD screen. I think moto has something up their sleeves still with this phone! With all the leaks out there on specs and what not for them to still remain quiet on this and we're a month away.

PS don't anyone go raining on my parade! This is America and i can still dream can still dream can't I?

I want a 4.5in screen to and this is America but the last time I checked our country is going to **** so I doubt we can dream anymore lol just saying...

Calla969

Reaction score
Something interesting, but very non-scientific. I was just reading many people's posts regarding the newest pictures of the Bionic that a Moto rep brought into a Verizon store. Everyone seems to think that the screen looks larger than the specs seem to claim or at least a different aspect ratio. This inspired me to look around for some way to calculate the size/aspect ratio. I found a picture here https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=1489034 that looks like the Bionic is on a piece of 1/4" graph paper. Now I fully realize that this is a complete guess and may not be correct at all, but the results are a little interesting. I figured the screen is about 9 squares wide which translates into 2.25" and 15.5 squares high which is 3.875". This seems about right. When you calculate the diagonal, you get 4.48". Like I said, this is very unscientific and could be completely inaccurate, but when I arrived at 4.48" I found that number interesting, but there isn't much difference between 4.3 and 4.5 and using such rough estimates could very easily make that error, I just thought it was interesting that the result was so close to the magical 4.5". I realize that it MAY make sense to reuse screens that have been used in other, recent devices, but it seems that they didn't reuse the X screen for the X2 and they were definitely the same size. I don't know for sure that these screens are different, but from what I've read, they are, but maybe it's just a software difference. I would be surprised if the screen ended up being 4.5" since all of the most seemingly accurate information points to a 4.3" screen, but it's fun to speculate and look for evidence.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
The matrix pentile looked decent on a 4.0 screen, bad on a 4.3, but on a 4.5?

Hopefully its using a different one.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Not sure if this of any interest to anyone, but I went ahead and popped the image from the OP into my cad program and drew some diagonal lines. The phone on the right is right at 5% larger on the diagonal than the phone on the left. I have not a clue how this relates to any of the new information, but these are the numbers for the two phones pictured. No graph paper or back calculating aspect ratios, just a pure % relationship of the picture in the op.

Craig

suzook

Reaction score
you are comparing the screen to a charge. The charge specs 4.3, but next to my tbolt...its def smaller. Im thinking samsungs screen is closer to 4.0. the charge next to my d3 is very close in size.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this fits better over here so I'm copying this over from the most recent thread with a speedtest.net test result:

I have two thoughts from looking at this picture WRT the size of the screen:

1) On my Droid 1, the speedtest.net app takes up the entire screen; however, in the screen shot, there is a black space surrounding the UI. I'm not sure how apps are typically designed to occupy screen space and if it is based on # of pixels or what, but could it be possible to compare the amount of screen occupation/screen size of the droid 1 to the amount of screen occupation/screen size of the bionic?

2) If one has no merit to it, my other thought is the assumption that the 4 soft key's across the bottom of the screen appear to be on the same scale of previous phones. If it were possible to use a precise measurement tool, say a dial caliper, to measure the phone or menu buttons, it could be used as a distance baseline in a picture like this and a fairly accurate measurement could be made, or at least I assume it could.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
you are comparing the screen to a charge. The charge specs 4.3, but next to my tbolt...its def smaller. Im thinking samsungs screen is closer to 4.0. the charge next to my d3 is very close in size.
Screens are measured diagonally, from one corner to another. So 2 screens can be 4.3 and look differently, one being wider and shorter, one being thinner and taller.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moto usually makes their screens 16:9 while others like Samsung and HTC make their screen 5:3. So while yes they maybe 4.3" screens, the difference in screen ratio is what you notice.

Calla969

Reaction score
I thought the Bionic was most likely going to be using the same screen as the X2.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

donzz

Reaction score
The average consumer isn't looking for a 4.5'' display, which is who they make these phones for(majority rules). It's almost limiting the market by making the screen larger.

Personally I just feel that there's zero point in making a screen .2'' larger when it's the same tech that you have a couple million units sitting in the storage room.

Altho I agree about the .2"...I'm still hoping for a 4.5 screen. My fat fingers can use every bit of screen they can give me.