4.1.2 Bug Thread

jmurra

Reaction score
Have tried a deep charge at night

Have you all performed a battery calibration?

1. Use phone till low battery warning comes on

2. Shut down phone and charge while off..best to do overnight.

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 again.

4. Use and charge as needed. No need to turn phone off while charging.

It may not seem like this will not do much at first but give it a couple of days. Also, at times, I've thrown in a short charge and found it seems to help with the battery lasting longer. Such that if I am at 40% and charge it up to 60, it seems to stay at 60 longer. Then at night I'd give a full charge while on.

Also: have you all changed your network mode from global to lte/CDMA?

Settings->more->Network mode.

No need to be set in global if you are in the US.

Thanks, I have not tried it several days with it turned off. May try that tonight, upgrade is certainly disappointing.

SkooterMcGaven

Reaction score
I am not sure why this little thing bothers me but it takes about 2 seconds for my screen to come fully on when it is off. Instead of coming right now it starts out dim and slowly (I know 2 seconds isn't exactly slow) goes to the correct brightness. Its something stupid but its bothering the hell out of me for some reason. It used to be at the correct brightness the second the display turned back on.

I haven't noticed anything too bad with the battery but I haven't been paying much attention to it either. I hope to reroot soon and see if there are some services that turned back on.

ekavan

Reaction score
I've noticed that after ending a received call that it goes to the call log. This was not an issue with ICS or Gingerbread and have not seen this problem since my original Droid 1. And that was two phones ago.

djmatt8787

Reaction score
here's something i have noticed on the razr maxx JB OTA:

i have been using swype since my d1, so am truly addicted to it. now sending sms is fine, swype from word to word, it spaces and spell-checks. however, im noticing that it is MUCH less accurate at predicting/learning what words i am swyping, so there's a lot of time spent checking my msgs before sending. Also, in the browser at the address bar, i know that it never would put in a space if i swyped multiple words, but on google homepage, in the search bar, it used to automatically put a space between the words i typed... now no matter what im typing related to browser, it leaves out the space... kind of annoying.

derpy

Reaction score
So after battery conditioning a couple of times and a few extra days testing, I was able to get 17 hours of use before I hit 15%. This is definitely a lot better than before, but is just a few hours less than what I got with ICS and the same amount of use. It's only a few extra hours and it's better than what I was getting before battery conditioning, so I'm going to just leave it at that for now.

I am still in the process of trying to figure out what is happening with the radio in the phone since I updated. I am still getting higher ping times and lower speeds on LTE than what I was getting before the JB update, and my signal is definitely not as good in some places. I've just got one more thing that I'm going to try and then I'll post some results.

As for the mic, someone pointed out to me that since I replaced the screen that maybe the mic in that screen was bad. Well, it just so happened to go bad the same time I updated to JB. The mic was working great up until the update and now if I'm not basically shouting into the phone I sound muffled and low to the person on the other end of the line. A friend of mine played some voice messages that I left for her before and after the update and there is definitely a difference in audio quality. I'm kind of lost on this one and don't really know what else I could do to fix it. Someone else suggested that I make sure the mic holes are not covered up by the cover I'm using. I tried calls with and without the cover and the result was the same.

The last issue that I'm still having that popped up immediately after the JB update is mounting drives when plugged into USB on my computer. It will take several tries before the internal storage and SD card get mounted successfully, but the moto tools partition always mounts no matter what and is always readable even when the internal and SD don't get mounted. I thought this could be my computer, so I tried with 5 other workstations that I have access to, all different machines and all running various versions of Windows. I also tried different USB cables in addition to 3 other stock razr maxx cables and I get the same result. The phone does charge just fine, and wiggling the USB cable doesn't seem to cut the connection or power. I know that it was working fine before the JB update because up to the time I updated I actually did a full backup of the SD card on this computer over USB to the phone itself. Prior to that, I had been taking a bunch of pictures for some class projects and transferring them to my computer by USB almost nightly with no problem. So... I don't know.

Other than those problems the rest of the phone seems to be working great.

ablank

Reaction score
I'm a heavy user and the only problem i have experienced is with my favorite contacts. The pictures won't sync.

Phillipsave

Reaction score
here's something i have noticed on the razr maxx JB OTA:

i have been using swype since my d1, so am truly addicted to it. now sending sms is fine, swype from word to word, it spaces and spell-checks. however, im noticing that it is MUCH less accurate at predicting/learning what words i am swyping, so there's a lot of time spent checking my msgs before sending. Also, in the browser at the address bar, i know that it never would put in a space if i swyped multiple words, but on google homepage, in the search bar, it used to automatically put a space between the words i typed... now no matter what im typing related to browser, it leaves out the space... kind of annoying.

I had the same problem, but finally downloaded the latest version of Swype, Swype Beta 1.4, from the Swype website directly in my phone, which works great! It's no longer necessary to be registered with a Swype name and password to do that. I ignored the default Swype in my phone and checked the new version in language and input settings, and everything worked great! (Oh yeah, I also disabled the stock android keyboard first, which probably wasn't necessary).

Last edited:

twade23

Reaction score
I have also noticed the battery drain. I switched mine back to LTE/CDMA and I will watch it for the next couple of days to see how that does.
The other problem I have noticed, when I have my Bluetooth headset connected and I am listening to Pandora, if a call comes in Pandora will switch to the phone speaker and continue playing while the phone is ringing in the headset. Before the update Pandora would pause and then the call would ring. This is really embarrassing when you work in a quite office like myself and everyone is looking at you when they hear your music start blaring. I have looked all thru the settings and I cannot find anything that states to pause Pandora when a call comes in, so any help would be appreciated or if it is a bug I hope they can send another update to fix it.

tlj000

Reaction score
can't un hide apps

If I remember right. From the app draw if you hit the menu button there should be an option to hide or unhide apps.
When I press the menu button I only get "manage apps" and "system settings"

Any body have this problem or now a work around?

GotnFX

Reaction score
If I remember right. From the app draw if you hit the menu button there should be an option to hide or unhide apps.
When I press the menu button I only get "manage apps" and "system settings"

Any body have this problem or now a work around?

Never had to hide or unhide apps, but you can make groups of apps show up instead of every app. Go into app drawer and hit "All apps" at the top left of the screen. You have the option of showing other already created groups as well.

tomorrowsman

Reaction score
Yes, I've seen this as well -- and the volume seems random; for example, when trying to turn down my music volume the phone ring volume slider was the one that appeared and would not go all the way down. This is while I already have the phone on vibrate only.

tomorrowsman

Reaction score
Bluetooth is hosed: Before 4.1.2, if I was using my bluetooth headphones and I got a call, the call would ring in my headphones; all audio was going through my bluetooth
connected device. Now if I get a call and I'm on my headphones, the audio I am listening to switches to the speakers and plays loud while the call keeps trying to ring through my headphones! I might need to chuck the thing since I can't have it blaring out my music in the office every time the phone rings.

tomorrowsman

Reaction score
Bingo, I have this same exact problem with Google Play, etc. A huge oversight as I can no longer use my phone in the office for music, which really means I may as well just get a different phone if this is the new standard.

JDH

Reaction score
More is better............ I guess that is why it now takes more steps to accomplish the same task. "Home" has disappeared from the browser so you have to bookmark your fav home page and then go to BMs and tap on your homepage link. also now an extra step to power down.

Also I have been trying to get acustomed to Chrome but it is a real pain, no where near as good as the stock browser, going to hate to see it go when they make chrome the default browser.