4.0.4 update zip!

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
This was not the case for me. I tried the original superboot method and wugs without results. Both successfully pushed superuser to the phone but I couldn't get access. You are positive its working for you? There is a thread about losing root with the update over on rootz as well.

Since I put the stock recovery back in place to flash the update, I ended up fastboot booting to a clockwork image and flashed a custom, rooted rom. But for those not familiar with what is going on, this could present problems.

In the end, a very long, round about way for me to just update my radios :biggrin:. The 4.0.4 update seemed a little quicker maybe, but I didn't want to stay unrooted.
Have root, tested with wifi tether. Wasn't working after installing update, working now after rerooting with toolkit. Also, I had to rename/delete new recovery-ftom-boot.p file in system folder as it was overwriting cwm after reboot.
so I just skimmed this thread but can we flash this with any roms yet? I would guess not but just checking if anyone knows better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
You have to be on stock rom.

Jung136

Reaction score
use the gnex root toolkit.. makes rooting so easy my grandmother could do it.. and it can backup your apps and system data so you don't have to re-download apps and it saves all your system data after you unlock your bootloader (just back up your internal storage so you don't lose your photos)

TeeX

Reaction score
If you are fully stock with a locked bootloader you can't use this update because the zip needs to be in cache but theres no way to put it there without being rooted. You are going to have to unlock and boot CWM and then you can flash it.

Here is the zip from tbh so you update your radios and bootloader from any previous versions. It seems like most people get better reception with these radios.

I would recommend staying on a 4.0.3 rom with the 4.0.4 radios. I am sure 4.0.4 source will be out soon then 4.0.4 roms will start coming out. 4.0.3 roms with custom kernel will probably get you better performance anyways.

Any other questions?

Question 1:
So I just flash the zip from ClockworkMod?

Question 2:
I'm running AOKP with the 4.0.3 radios flashed. Do I need to flash back to the 4.0.2 radios first like stated elsewhere? Or can I just flash this zip straight from CWM over what I have now?

Question 3:
Is this zip file the full radios, or just the cdma radio and a patch of the lte?

Question 4:
Is there a md5 sum for the zip file, just to be sure?

Question 5:
just to confirm, this will update both of my radios to 4.0.4, AND my bootloader? But I'll still have my framework/system version of AOKP, right?

thanks for the help, information, and assistance, and sorry for the barrage of questions :)

Last edited:

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I flashed the 4.0.2 radios and then upgraded to the 4.0.4 radios, everything else stayed in tact - today I will give it a good whirl around town, where my signal really faulters is at work so Monday will be the true test :)

TeeX

Reaction score
If you are fully stock with a locked bootloader you can't use this update because the zip needs to be in cache but theres no way to put it there without being rooted. You are going to have to unlock and boot CWM and then you can flash it.

Here is the zip from tbh so you update your radios and bootloader from any previous versions. It seems like most people get better reception with these radios.

I would recommend staying on a 4.0.3 rom with the 4.0.4 radios. I am sure 4.0.4 source will be out soon then 4.0.4 roms will start coming out. 4.0.3 roms with custom kernel will probably get you better performance anyways.

Any other questions?

btw, I have the TBH app and have downloaded this zip file from there (just waiting on answers before I do anything with it :) ). Was wondering why it's actually listed twice in my app? Anybody else have that?

Reaction score
How do I install this? Is it the same way I flash a ROM?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

blacksoxing

Reaction score
I knew there was a reason why I didn't fool with 4.0.3 or install a custom rom yet!!!

???

Reaction score
anyone fix one yet that keeps root access? I don't feel like root again.

back in the d1 days, a little after a update came our, someone added root. then you could just install the update. zip and it didn't wipe or lose anything.

i'm still on totally stock rooted 4.2.

OP
tgyberg

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
anyone fix one yet that keeps root access? I don't feel like root again.

back in the d1 days, a little after a update came our, someone added root. then you could just install the update. zip and it didn't wipe or lose anything.

i'm still on totally stock rooted 4.2.

Another option:

Full IMM30B update (not the OTA)

Htown315

Reaction score
The new 4.0.4 radios are working good for a lot of people including myself, I recommend flashing them to anyone having signal issues. Make sure you are on the 4.0.2 radios before flashing since the LTE radio in 4.0.4 is a patch for the 4.0.2 radio only.

???

Reaction score
thanks, downloading now... sounds more like flashing a rom then an update. so I'll make a nandroid and back everything up to dropbox using ti, incase it wipes everything.

captdroid

Reaction score

Yea this is what I installed to go from 4.0.2 stock to 4.0.4 stock. This works perfectly. Everything retained except certain system folder file tweaks. No need to revert radios, bootloader or kernel. Just flash IMM30B update from BlackHat and your good to go... root retained.

The update zip listed in this thread OP is a pain in the backside since it does all kinds of checks and refuses to install if it finds anything it doesn't like such as SystemUI.APK tweaks or even if MyVerizonBackup APK is missing which I deleted a while ago. :D

Before I flashed this update... as a precaution I 'Reset Google Wallet' in Google Wallet settings and then after the update I simply reactivated Google Wallet using same pin and added back the prepaid card which shows the same $ amount remaining as before the GW reset.

And my Google Wallet is now updating from the market, not showing any warnings such as carrier not supported. What I did was do a force attach to market the GW application and in roughly 24 hours it showed up and updated. Now showing like any other market app installed on my phone. :)

Last edited:

nleksan

Reaction score
I am tempted to unlock/root just for this... although I kind of prefer to wait for the OTA update, and THEN "unlock/root"...