4.0.4 update zip!

Reaction score
You don't have to root to get this update. You just have to be unlocked. You then fastboot boot CWM then flash the zip then lock your phone and you will be good.

i have no idea what you just said lol. laymen's terms please. :D

is there a link to a step by step process?

thanks

winner00

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Reaction score
Yea thats the bootloader. I would use Wug's rootkit here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/galaxy-nexus-development/192031-wugs-galaxy-nexus-root-toolkit.html
Load it up and make sure CDMA/LTE is selected. Follow the initial setup then click unlock. Tell when you have gotten that far or need more help.

that's not rooting?

when you say click to unlock, i do that on that bootloader screen? thanx again :biggrin:

(i can't potentially brick my phone doing this, can i? :icon_eek: lol )

winner00

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
that's not rooting?

when you say click to unlock, i do that on that bootloader screen? thanx again :biggrin:

No its not rooting.

I probably should mention that unlocking will wipe your phone clean. Even the sdcard.

So I guess if you don't want to loss anything you don't have to update.

If you would like to continue though I will help you.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I assume the since one person got it they will probably push it out to the rest of us over the next few days.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Good news for nexus owners.... especially after yesterday's news.

pilot25

Reaction score
that's not rooting?

Seriously, just wait for the push from VZ or use the APK file from Android Central. You shouldn't go about unlocking the bootloader by following this thread. If you are going to do it go to Droid Life and follow their checklist of items. The hardest part is setting up your PC prior to even doing anything with your phone.

Don't screw around, especially for this unofficial update. If you really want the update take it seriously and read a bit before starting the unlocking process. Unlocking the bootloader is a gnats hair away from rooting which is another gnats hair away from bricking your device if you aren't careful.

1FZFE

Reaction score
I used wugs root toolkit and rerooted without problems.

This was not the case for me. I tried the original superboot method and wugs without results. Both successfully pushed superuser to the phone but I couldn't get access. You are positive its working for you? There is a thread about losing root with the update over on rootz as well.

Since I put the stock recovery back in place to flash the update, I ended up fastboot booting to a clockwork image and flashed a custom, rooted rom. But for those not familiar with what is going on, this could present problems.

In the end, a very long, round about way for me to just update my radios :biggrin:. The 4.0.4 update seemed a little quicker maybe, but I didn't want to stay unrooted.

bwillie

Reaction score
so I just skimmed this thread but can we flash this with any roms yet? I would guess not but just checking if anyone knows better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Reaction score
Seriously, just wait for the push from VZ or use the APK file from Android Central. You shouldn't go about unlocking the bootloader by following this thread. If you are going to do it go to Droid Life and follow their checklist of items. The hardest part is setting up your PC prior to even doing anything with your phone.

Don't screw around, especially for this unofficial update. If you really want the update take it seriously and read a bit before starting the unlocking process. Unlocking the bootloader is a gnats hair away from rooting which is another gnats hair away from bricking your device if you aren't careful.

yeah that's what i'm thinking lol

i can wait for the official update. i'm thinking it's not too far out since the "leaked" one just came out. i only have minor bugs with my GN that i can live with until then anyway :D