4.0.3 and backups

whopua

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing the RootzBoat 4.0.3 update but wondering bow this will mesh with 2 different types of backups. I'm running Nova Launcher and I'm assuming that backup of my settings should be just fine. However, I wonder how the Clockwork Mod recovery backup will fare. The RootzBoat instructions say I need to wipe the phone first. If I do that and install 4.0.3 is the backup performed today before attempting the update now useless! Is that backup going to be based on the recovery 4.0.2 I flashed on it immediately after root?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Not too sure what you mean by 2 different types of backups. If you mean nandroid back ups then you should be able to restore them without problems even if it is a 4.0.2 back up and you have flashed 4.0.3.

OP
whopua

whopua

Reaction score
Sorry, maybe I was confusing. Backup 1 would be the Nova Launcher. Backup 2 would be the Clockwork backup you choose through the app that states "backup current ROM"
Wondering how that would mesh if I wiped, updated to 4.0.3 then restored the Clockwork backup I did prior.

OP
whopua

whopua

Reaction score
While I'm at it how do you think Titanium would do here? Never used it before.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Ok I am still having trouble following you. You want to update to 4.0.3 and then restore the backup? That would not work, you would just be back on 4.0.2 which is what you made the back up on.

And I have been using Titanium quite successfully on my Gnex to restore user apps and their associated data.

OP
whopua

whopua

Reaction score
Ok, thaaaat's what I was wondering. So when I do the Clockwork backup I'm really backing up an image and not just simple things that could be applied to the upgrade such as wallpaper, homescreen setups, shortcuts, etc.? Also if I flashed on 4.0.3 would this be similar to an OTA update (meaning would I lose root if I'm using root to do this)? Also, does the clockwork ROM backup save any "user apps and their associated data"? Meaning what if I screwed up my phone and just wanted to restore a backup done through the Clockwork app? What exactly would be restored? I guess I mean what I asked above... is it an image? Apps and settings and all?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Yes if you perform a back up via clockwork you are essentially making an exact replica of the current state of your phone. The only thing that would not be backed up would be things that are stored on your portion of the memory such as pictures, sound files, or any ROM files etc you moved there. In the case of something happening you can boot into recovery, restore this back up, and you will be back exactly where you left off.

And once the 4.0.3 update gets here it may break root. But if you flash a 4.0.3 ROM that is out there now then no you will not have to root again.

OP
whopua

whopua

Reaction score
That answers everything! Thanks for the help!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Awesome!! Glad to help out DancingNexus