4.0.2 to 4.0.4 OTA Update Fails

Lordbutt

Reaction score
My Samsung Galaxy Nexus is on build ICL53F, 4.02, routed, but stock. OTA update fails. Have never flashed ROMs. OTA won't install even after a wipe and reset. No deleted, frozen, or impaired apps.
Are any others having the same problem? Please advise.

Last edited:

OCDroid

Reaction score
Do you have a custom recovery, such as Clockwork Mod? If so, that could be the problem. You need a stock recovery to flash an OTA update.

slider112

Reaction score
Check this thread for more info:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/galaxy-nexus-general-discussions/210616-freezes-google-reboot-4-0-2-4-0-4-a.html

My friend had the same issue. Got the notification for the 4.0.4 update, downloaded fine, rebooted for the install and hung up indefinitely at the Google start up screen. He had to pull the battery to get the phone working again and on reboot he was still on 4.0.2 and had the update notification again. Tried multiple times but just kept going in this loop and was never able to update. Called VZW tech support and eventually found out that, for whatever reason, when the phone initially updated to 4.0.2 way back when no recovery image was created. His phone ran fine with 4.0.2, but when the upgrade to 4.0.4 was started it couldn't find any previous recovery and essentially aborted installation. Tech told him that there was no fix for it, period. They sent him a replacement device which he has since updated to 4.0.4 just fine. Odd set of circumstances, but according to VZW there are a small number of devices out there with this problem.

Anyway, hope that helps clarify a bit. At worst you may be looking at a replacement device. I hope it will be as smooth for you as it was for him if you need to go that route. Good luck with things.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Check this thread for more info:
Called VZW tech support and eventually found out that, for whatever reason, when the phone initially updated to 4.0.2 way back when no recovery image was created. His phone ran fine with 4.0.2, but when the upgrade to 4.0.4 was started it couldn't find any previous recovery and essentially aborted installation. Tech told him that there was no fix for it, period.

In all actuality, the fix should be just fast booting the stock recovery image, but if the OP is willing to wait on a device then obviously an exchange would work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

slider112

Reaction score
True. My buddy wasn't rooted and had no interest, so the exchange was the only course of action for him :biggrin:

OP
Lordbutt

Lordbutt

Reaction score
In all actuality, the fix should be just fast booting the stock recovery image, but if the OP is willing to wait on a device then obviously an exchange would work.

How does one "fast boot the stock recovery image?"

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
How does one "fast boot the stock recovery image?"

You need to download the android sdk and set up adb and fast boot. You then need to download the 4.0.2 stock recovery image from Google and push it through fast boot to your phone. If I were you, I'd use Wug's kit to get the drivers set up.

OP
Lordbutt

Lordbutt

Reaction score
You need to download the android sdk and set up adb and fast boot. You then need to download the 4.0.2 stock recovery image from Google and push it through fast boot to your phone. If I were you, I'd use Wug's kit to get the drivers set up.

Thank you. Took awhile to find a mirror that still had Wug's app., but once I found one everything went great. Now on 4.04 OTA, rooted.