3rd party messaging app issues?

Dannimarrrie

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
Any 3rd party messaging apps that lack settings to adjust whether SMS is converted to MMS, or sent as multiple SMS, refuse to work on my S7, MM 6.0.1, US Cellular.

So Hangouts, Facebook SMS & Signal Private Messenger for example, all lack settings to adjust how you want your messages sent.

Any time I send a text using any app like this, if the length of the message exceeds like 160 characters (or whatever the limit is), I get a failed message error and the message fails to send. I have to stop typing and send, and then finish my message if I want to be able to use them.

Some additional apps also display the same issue, even if the settings are there and I tell them to split the messages, but others don't.

However, sending as MMS on third party apps work fine, as long as they convert anything over one text.

Does anyone have any ideas on what would cause this?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I guess I don't quite understand what's going on here. You're sending long messages (which automatically convert to MMS), but you're getting an error when attempting to send them, so you'd like the app to break them up into SMS length messages?

If that's what you're saying, do you have mobile data turned off? The only reason I've seen MMS not send, aside from no reception, is when mobile data is off because they send over mobile data.

I'm also not quite sure what you mean by
sending as MMS on third party apps work fine, as long as they convert anything over one text.

Because it sounds to me like you've found third party apps that will send your messages, so I'm not sure what you're looking for. You just ALWAYS want to send SMS instead of MMS?

If you can clarify/explain a bit more, maybe we can help you find a solution.

I know that several messaging apps have options as to whether to treat group messages as SMS or MMS, which is a similar situation.

OP
D

Dannimarrrie

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
Any app that converts to MMS automatically works (such as stock messages app and Google messenger). Also, any app that has settings to convert to MMS after one text works. The issue arrives when the message exceeds 160 characters and is either set to split them or I am unable to adjust the settings.

The main problem that I'm having is I would really like to use a more secure app such as Signal, or there are others that have other features I'd like such as Hangouts and integrated sms, but I can't use them due to this issue. For whatever reason they must not, by their internal settings, convert to MMS, and the settings aren't visible to me to change them.

So, while there are apps that do work, my main goal is to figure out why this issue is happening so that I can use the specific ones I want. To clarify, 0 apps work that do not have the visible settings. They all display the same issue. However, SOME apps will visible settings do work and split the SMS per the settings, some do not, and give the same error as the others.

I don't necessarily need them to always split, I just want them to the capability to split without failing.

But nope, I have mobile data turned on, I've factory reset my phone, same thing. At a loss at this point. :(

I guess I don't quite understand what's going on here. You're sending long messages (which automatically convert to MMS), but you're getting an error when attempting to send them, so you'd like the app to break them up into SMS length messages?

If that's what you're saying, do you have mobile data turned off? The only reason I've seen MMS not send, aside from no reception, is when mobile data is off because they send over mobile data.

I'm also not quite sure what you mean by

Because it sounds to me like you've found third party apps that will send your messages, so I'm not sure what you're looking for. You just ALWAYS want to send SMS instead of MMS?

If you can clarify/explain a bit more, maybe we can help you find a solution.

I know that several messaging apps have options as to whether to treat group messages as SMS or MMS, which is a similar situation.

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
MMS is kind of the standard with longer messages these days. That's why they automatically convert from SMS when the length of SMS is exceeded.

I've honestly never found myself in a position where I wanted a long message split into SMS, so I'm afraid I'm at a loss as well for a fix to your particular issue.

Hopefully somone else will come along that has more experience in the type of thing you're looking to do.

OP
D

Dannimarrrie

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
I don't mind personally either way really, but unfortunately some apps don't give you the option to change it. :( Also, my best friend has a pretty low end smart phone that's probably also having its own tech issues, and for some reason any time she gets a pic message it freezes her phone. So I try to avoid sending her the MMS messages.

I hope someone can help, I would love to get this fixed. :'(

MMS is kind of the standard with longer messages these days. That's why they automatically convert from SMS when the length of SMS is exceeded.

I've honestly never found myself in a position where I wanted a long message split into SMS, so I'm afraid I'm at a loss as well for a fix to your particular issue.

Hopefully somone else will come along that has more experience in the type of thing you're looking to do.