3rd gps option missing?

dvader

Reaction score
with a stock rom, you have 3 options.
1) wireless networks
2) GPS SAT'S
3) (i believe) cell tower assisted (or something like this)

with this rom, we only have the first 2 options.
what happened to the 3rd?

OP
D

dvader

Reaction score
nobody has a comment on this??? something.. go F myself.. anything?

Inkarnit

Reaction score
Ok... go F yourself.

No seriously, I know what you're talking about. GPS Assisted or whatever. From my understanding it isn't an option to select but is automatically enabled when you enable GPS.

teh_g

Reaction score
aGPS (the third option you speak of) is basically just GPS with the wireless network assistance. By enabling wireless network (option 1) and GPS (option 2), you are using aGPS.

teh_g

Reaction score
To further my post: I never understood why there were three options in the first place. The only way to get location is from GPS, the cell towers (if Google or Verizon knows the exact location, I am not sure which provider is being used for this), or location aware WiFi networks. WiFi and Cell Tower location are bundled under "wireless" and GPS has an option as well. I suspect that they disabled the third option, because it is rather stupid to only use GPS and not aGPS.

caveritt

Reaction score
Not too sure how I feel about this. I have been noticing that my location is sometimes off by several 100 miles due to wifi networks being located incorrectly.

Before I switched to Liberty I never saw this issue. I know without Liberty the third option could be left on without the GPS and this would allow you to be located within a few 1000 meters due to cellular triangulation (the reason for the large circle in google maps).

I could be off but I feel like we need that third option.

cvhovey

Reaction score
Just noticed that was gone in the 1.5 update prior to seeing your post. Whether that makes a difference, dunno, but the concern I have is GPS functionality. I was just getting ready to head out the door so wanted to test Google Navigation and though I can find my location SOMETIMES, once I get directions then enable Navigation just sits there and does nothing (i.e. doesn't load route). So its as if GPS is somewhat crippled.

caveritt

Reaction score
Just noticed that was gone in the 1.5 update prior to seeing your post. Whether that makes a difference, dunno, but the concern I have is GPS functionality. I was just getting ready to head out the door so wanted to test Google Navigation and though I can find my location SOMETIMES, once I get directions then enable Navigation just sits there and does nothing (i.e. doesn't load route). So its as if GPS is somewhat crippled.

FAA issues aircraft GPS disruption advisory because of DOD testing -- Government Computer News

Not sure where you are but if you are on the east coast this could explain it. My GPS is working flawlessly. Really miss the cell triangulation though.

cvhovey

Reaction score

djsiva

Reaction score

FAA issues aircraft GPS disruption advisory because of DOD testing -- Government Computer News

Not sure where you are but if you are on the east coast this could explain it. My GPS is working flawlessly. Really miss the cell triangulation though.

Bottom of the article states "A spokesperson at the FAA said that there will be “no impact to ground vehicle GPS.” That means that smart phones, automobile guidance systems and other civilian GPS functions will not be affected by the tests."

caveritt

Reaction score
Whoops. Sorry. Missed that.

Still, anyone got any reasons as to why the cellular triangulation option is missing?

tearlach2

Reaction score
My GPS on my x has been funky for a while now, before when I was on tranq and now. And the_g, you are wrong about what you said aGPS is a completely secondary function which verizon provides in addition to cellular approximation(option 1)
Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Option 1 locates you to your connected cell tower, option two is standard gps, option 3 is triangulation based off of your fragmented signal and the tower's strong gps signal, which is a secondary function to option 1 within verizon's (or whomever's) network.
My question is how do you know that option 3 is actually turned on when you turn on option 1 and 2? On a standard android install the frist two can be on and you can still have agps off and it will really not be functioning.