3rd Broken Headphone Jack

jchargu3

Reaction score
I'm 110% sure there is nothing in the jack. it's as clean as it can be. Besides, much to everyones common belief, dirt wouldn't cause this sort of issue. This is a jack to board issue, much like the DroidX, it's due to design of the plug, that motorola has stupidly gone with.

I had the same issue with my droid X :(

Fall

Reaction score
I had the same exact problem with my Droid Razr and my Droid Razr Maxx, the lady at Verizon had them both replaced but she said motorola prefers you use their headphones... what xD

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Lol! That's because motorola prefers you to use everything of theirs! Chalk one up for another Verizon sales rep (jackiecivic not included)!

wendee2150

Reaction score
Fall said:
I had the same exact problem with my Droid Razr and my Droid Razr Maxx, the lady at Verizon had them both replaced but she said motorola prefers you use their headphones... what xD

I would probably use Motorola ear buds, but the last ones that I bought from Verizon were so big, they wouldn't go in my ears. Thus the need for after market products which have several sized buds to choose from. ;)

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
wendee2150 said:
I would probably use Motorola ear buds, but the last ones that I bought from Verizon were so big, they wouldn't go in my ears. Thus the need for after market products which have several sized buds to choose from. ;)

Love my LG Tone. Fits under my workshirt. Jamming out driving peeps around all day. Wife is gonna be less than thrilled if hers goes out. Have to buy a new head unit!!

asghert

Reaction score
I am receiving my 6th Razr Maxx Monday from Fedex for the same audio problems. Two that wouldn't take the jack because of a metal obstruction and the latest one(got it 3 days ago) for no right channel audio output. The other two were other reasons. I wish they'd stop sending factory floor rejects and send me a new phone. So far only one free months voice service for my trouble.

Also, I'm not a fan of phone covers of any kind. Heat isn't good for electronics and they do a great job of holding it in.

LenW

Reaction score
Raxrmazz Headphone jack

I have have replaced the Razrmaxx twice for headphone jack issues since March of 2012. I don't even use it much. Now, my 3rd phone jack has quit working and the metal trim ring popped out. It was a refurb phone furnished by Asurion (insurance) and I have only used the jack twice. :frown:

Not looking for troubleshooting help, this is just a report.

Love my Droid Razr Maxx (Verizon) but for one serious issue. The headphone jack has stopped working or broken on 3 consecutive Razr Maxx handsets.

1st one - Cut over stops working so if you plug in any headphones, adapter or ear buds the sound doesn't cut over and continues to play from the external speaker.

2nd one - Same issue along with the headphone plug no longer physically staying in the jack. Won't click down, just pops out.

3rd one - Actually heard this one go out. Got in my car after work, turned on Pandora and plugged in my headphone to tape adapter for in car play and only the left channel was working. Pulled plug out and replugged and now it's the same issue... sound continues to play from external speakers and won't cut over. Only had this one 2 weeks and used the headphone jack less than 10 times.

I know the support minded will want a go at this so let me answer your questions before you ask.

Yes I've restarted all three phones multiple times.
No my phones aren't rooted.
Yes I've tried lots of different headphones, ear buds and adapters
Yes I've tried several different software apps including pandora, tune in radio, winamp, etc.
No I'm not using some huge or weird headphone plug
No there isn't any fuzz, dirt, lint or other stuff in the headphone jack
No I'm not sticking a paperclip in the jack

Verizon support center has been very quick to send me replacement phones but they are refurbished so you see flaws like molding clicking, side buttons either sticking out too far or not enough but they've all worked except for the insanely short life on the headphone jack.

Verizon support stated that if this was a common or known issue I'd have the option of a different model but this is apparently not a known issue. Hard for me to believe as it's insane odds that three phones in a row have had the same issue.

Just throwing this out there in case someone else is seeing the issue and wants to know they are not alone. Waiting on my 4th Razr Maxx right now and should have it tomorrow. Let's see if the headphone jack will last more than a month. Not holding my breath... wish my phone worked.

Peace.