3gp to avi/wmv. free way out there?

Reaction score
I checked the search button and didn't see an answer to this question. I shot a bunch of videos with my kids over the weekend and we were going to drop it into Windows movie maker (archaic I know) to make a video, and of course it had no clue what format that was in the year 2010.

All I've been seeing are pay programs, and VirtualDub didn't like 3gp's either. Any other solutions out there folks?

Thanks

ken.gentry

Reaction score
I'm in exactly the same situation. Surely it can't be this hard to find a freeware conversion tool to take 3GP video into AVI or some other popular Windows format. Why would Motorola bother providing a great video recorder and provide no way to playback the footage on a Windows PC.

Can anybody help?!?

Thanks,
Ken

ken.gentry

Reaction score
I found that Apple QuickTime plays back 3GP video nicely on Windows. For $30 QuickTime Pro will convert the video to different formats.

It's not a free option but for $30 QuickTime Pro is nice and a bargain.

After seeing the Droid X video playback (720P HD) I am a bit underwhelmed. It might be useful for spontaneous video recording but it does not replace a dedicated camcorder that has higher quality optics, optical image stabilization and optical zoom.

cslibby

Reaction score
Check out VLC. It plays the 3gp videos too, and it is free. It may even allow conversion to other formats. I know it can also be a video streaming server.