3g

rwaustin

Reaction score
Is there any way to turn 3g off to conserve battery. WIFI no problem. Plane mode nothing. Would like to be able to use the phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Fokkerdmr

Reaction score
I would suggest two things.. Juice defender will help a lot. I use the free version and out extends my battery by about 50% on average without causing problems. The other thing I have done recently is set my mail sync to four hours. That has helped a lot a well.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

jonathon1289

Reaction score
When WiFi is connected, 3g automatically turns off.
There are some widgets that will let you disable 3g/data. I use SwitchPro. You can also use a battery mode to set a time period for inactivity to disable data.

Juice Defender IMO is crap. It is advertised and sold as a great app that doubles your battery life, but all it does is disable every connection on your phone. I do not use it, and I get 30-48 hours out of my battery with a display on time of 5-6 hours on a consistent basis.

Fokkerdmr

Reaction score
Thats impressive battery life. I have a 3500maH battery that I had at 90% yesterday before starting on a hike. During the hike, one app was tracking GPS, and the stock music app playing the whole way, screen off. Airplane mode after about 20 minutes and left it in airplane mode for most of the hike, except while texting for about 15 minutes at the top of the hill. At the end of the hike, which according to the GPS log was 2 hours, 48 minutes, the phone is down to 20%. Why does it feel like I'm just chasing my tail with this phone? My son comes in last night from a weekend long trip, and fruity phone is down to 37% after no charge in 2 days. Should I get the white or black version? Sheesh. I've done a 100% -> 0% -> 100% cycle to get the battery stats adjusted, etc...

Do you know what's getting you such great battery life?

jonathon1289

Reaction score
I have the OEM extended battery (bh6x). When I got it, I let the battery run until it died, fully charged while the phone was off, then wiped battery stats and performed the full charge/discharge cycle twice. On rooted stock FroYo I was only getting like 24 hours out of my battery.

I had a few issues after flashing to the rooted OTA gingerbread, so I wiped stats and performed two full charge/discharge cycles of the battery and that made a huge difference.

My display setting is set to automatic brightness. I have WiFi always on, and have changed the scan interval to 4 minutes (I use wifi 90% of the time, at home and work which is only a 10 minute drive apart). Bluetooth is disabled, GPS always on.
Corporate sync for email is set to a 15 minute check.
No facebook or twitter, so those are not constantly checking. My weather widget is set to only update every 6 hours.

Battery saver is set to custom, do not disable data during peak off. Off peak (9:00pm to 5:30am) disable after 15 minutes. Most of my time is spent playing games, and like I said I consistently get 5-6 hours of display on time. If I play less and use the phone more for some voice calls and light web browsing, I have hot 48 hours on a single charge no issue.

Edit: I am currently at 7 hours unplugged, 1 hour display on time and 80% battery. I find that I average about 15% battery usage for every 1 hour display on time. As noted in my signature, I am undervolted but that honestly seems to only make a difference of a couple of hours and only when in standby, actual usage time has not really changed.

Last edited:

Fokkerdmr

Reaction score
Super helpful, thanks. Makes me seriously consider rooting and flashing to 596. Not sure how the 609 OTA update would affect that, but for now, this is good info for sure.