3g VS wifi on battery life

lacie123401

Reaction score
I've looked at many post regarding the debate to keep wifi on when in wifi area vs keeping it on 3g to save battery life. and the answers have varied, from some people saying wifi is the best way, to others saying keeping 3g.

Will it help conserve energy to leave Wifi on all the time when wifi is available?
and is automatic when i connect to wifi 3g turns off?

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
I havent looked into it much, but I'm pretty sure having wifi on while its available is better on your battery life than using 3g the whole time. Just make sure to turn off wifi when its not available because otherwise you'll be draining more battery looking for a wifi connection.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have wifi in my home so I've used 3G and wifi. Truthfully, I've not noticed an appreciable difference with either.

Mike

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
It's not really an either/or it's more a this/that with "conditions"

If you have spotty 3G and WiFi available....WiFi turned on will give you much better battery life. If both are available and strong....then you won't see much difference between them.

If you are downloading large files, WiFi will also download it faster (typically) and consume less battery compared to the longer use time downloading under 3G.

So use it when you need it or plan to transfer a lot of files......otherwise just stick with 3G and keep your phone from trying to find a WiFi to connect too....

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
^^ that's what I was going to say wifi is always better if you're in a spotty signal area. For instance whenever I hang out at my best friends house my battery gets a little worse seeing as his house is like a faraday cage for cell signal so I always take advantage of his wifi.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App