3G to always on 1x at home....

zeppelin5000

Reaction score
Hey all,
For some reason this past week, my Droid (original one) is mostly on 1x rather than 3G here at my house. Now, the singal here is never perfect, kinda iffy, but it's never been this bad. I've tried a bunch of suggested things.... I've dialed *228 and pressed both options 1 and 2. After I tried #2, the phone did go to 3G but then back to 1x. I also simply took the batery out and the put it back in. The phone again went to 3G for a short time but then back to 1x. Even a trick I read somewhere about switching airplane mode on then off again...The tower isn't too far away, only a couple of miles I think. Could the problem be with Verizon in my area? Is there another trick to the phone? Thanks for any ideas!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hey all,
For some reason this past week, my Droid (original one) is mostly on 1x rather than 3G here at my house. Now, the singal here is never perfect, kinda iffy, but it's never been this bad. I've tried a bunch of suggested things.... I've dialed *228 and pressed both options 1 and 2. After I tried #2, the phone did go to 3G but then back to 1x. I also simply took the batery out and the put it back in. The phone again went to 3G for a short time but then back to 1x. Even a trick I read somewhere about switching airplane mode on then off again...The tower isn't too far away, only a couple of miles I think. Could the problem be with Verizon in my area? Is there another trick to the phone? Thanks for any ideas!

:welcome: to DroidForums!
The problem could be with Verizon in your area or that particular tower. Seems as though you have covered the usual practices to resolve the issue. Have you tried calling customer service?

OP
Z

zeppelin5000

Reaction score
Hey all,

:welcome: to DroidForums!
The problem could be with Verizon in your area or that particular tower. Seems as though you have covered the usual practices to resolve the issue. Have you tried calling customer service?

I haven't physically talked to anyone at Verizon yet haha....I was hoping to figure out the problem myself first or see if it eventually clears up by itself, but I may just have to do that if this keeps up.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Thought exercise for you:

Fact -- every -3dBm signal increases indicates a doubling of signal strength.

Fact -- anything below -86 is considered low signal.

What does that mean? You're dealing with crappy signal at home. Net result is that right now you're probably experiencing some tower problem. Contact customer support and ask them what's going on.

Also, try *22899 and tell me if it finshes appropriately. Turn on speakerphone and let it sit somewhere so you can hear it and don't have that annoying music breaking up in your ear. :)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

What does that mean? You're dealing with crappy signal at home. Net result is that right now you're probably experiencing some tower problem. Contact customer support and ask them what's going on.

Also, try *22899 and tell me if it finshes appropriately. Turn on speakerphone and let it sit somewhere so you can hear it and don't have that annoying music breaking up in your ear. :)

Nevermind...long day! Haha!

OP
Z

zeppelin5000

Reaction score

Like I said the signal usually isn't perfect here, but it just seems worse now....It must be the tower. I'll give Verizon a call tomorrow. I tried *22899 again and it went through with no problems.