3G slower by the day...

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
I think the explosion of droids to Verizon is a big culprit and from one experience and what i've seen in this thread i believe it is in fact too many people. My experience that proved it for me was when i was at a concert at a baseball stadium a month or two ago when i got there i could send texts and browse the web no problem. But as the day wore on and more and more people showed up it started taking forever for my texts to send and my data was acting slower. When i looked around i kept seeing person after person with none other than the Droid. They were literally everywhere. And i remember when i got my Droid in december i got insanely good speeds but now they are just ok speeds. It really isn't consistent anymore and it is starting to drive me nuts. And i really hope the iPhone never comes to Verizon because of this. Lets face it the Droid line is pretty popular and also very data hungry. Imagine all those iPhones fleeing AT&T because they are like "Hey Verizon will be better!" and then they show up destroy our speeds and then flee back to AT&T because its suddenly gotten better because of the lack of iPhones. Besides, who whats the iPhone anymore anyways?dancedroid

Ralffers

Reaction score
I just hope VZW is doing something about this. Currently, I am getting less than 400 kbps - and at times it goes as low as 95 kbps download speed!

mjforte

Reaction score
Well I just did another 3 speed tests today, and I am getting better speeds. First test was 1419 kbps up, 638 down. Second test was 725 kbps up, 554 down. And the third test was 1732 kbps up and 725 down. So it does seem to be better than it was. But we'll see if it stays this way or gets worse.

mjforte

Reaction score
Well I just did another 3 speed tests today, and I am getting better speeds. First test was 1419 kbps up, 638 down. Second test was 725 kbps up, 554 down. And the third test was 1732 kbps up and 725 down. So it does seem to be better than it was. But we'll see if it stays this way or gets worse.

My bad reverse those numbers for the download and upload speeds.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Pretty much the same speeds I've been getting for the last 6 months, 700-900kbps....one server tends to give me a bit faster results = 1200kbps

MrKleen

Reaction score
I also have been noticing this and I'm not pleased.

I just did a speed test on a Monday morning at about 9:30 when most people should be at work or school. The results are very poor compared to what they were months ago.

Download speed .53 Mb/s
Upload .42 Mb/s

This does not make me happy at all.

I sure hope Verizon has plans on lowering the cost for their services in line with the decrease in what they provide.

keiichi25

Reaction score
I also have been noticing this and I'm not pleased.

I just did a speed test on a Monday morning at about 9:30 when most people should be at work or school. The results are very poor compared to what they were months ago.

Download speed .53 Mb/s
Upload .42 Mb/s

This does not make me happy at all.

I sure hope Verizon has plans on lowering the cost for their services in line with the decrease in what they provide.

Actually, I do not believe they would lower the costs because of that. One of the for sure legal notices in your contract would state that they cannot be held responsible for service slowing down on speed due to the fact they cannot control the number of people who would be accessing their network in a given location.

Even if they were to put more towers to try and supplement and cover an area, there is still the probability of a dense group of people saturating a single tower at any given time.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
At the beginning of this year I was getting 1.5-3 Mbps and for the last few months I'm getting 50 kbps . I tested an HTC 4G last month and it was getting constant 2 Mbps and this month 5 Mbps . I have 2 more weeks left from my one year contract with Verizon and I'll switch to Sprint , this is more than enough reason to do so , their connection is 100 times faster . I'm sure VZ can't fix this problem in the next couple of months , maybe I'll return to them after one year if they fix their network , if not I'll switch to T-Mobile or whoever has better speeds , somebody has to keep the competition flame lit .

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I too am getting a lot less than when I originally had my droid. 3G speeds have gotten amazingly slow. At work I used to get over 2mbps when I first got my droid and now I'm lucky to get 1mbps and average .7mbps. And we're right next to a tower. I'm going to be first in line for the 4g phones.

???

Reaction score
yeah mine has been crap for a while. oddly my buddy with an X can be sitting right next to me knocking down over 2meg while I'm getting .3meg hating life.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Is it possible they're limiting us droid 1 users to try to get us to upgrade??? My friend upgraded to a Droid II and he says it is faster than ever (in just about everything, download speed, page loading, everything) while my Droid I just gets slower and slower.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not possible. Towers have no way of knowing or discriminating phones. Check FB and Twitter if used and see how much memory they are consuming. If you're rooted, I'd suggest clearing the cache and rebooting.

Is it possible they're limiting us droid 1 users to try to get us to upgrade??? My friend upgraded to a Droid II and he says it is faster than ever (in just about everything, download speed, page loading, everything) while my Droid I just gets slower and slower.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

???

Reaction score
I understand the tower couldn't, but if our basband sucks or just the phone struggles with it from being bogged down with crap. you know how a windows computer flys when new but 2years later it takes 10mins to boot up?

how to I check facebook and twitter cash and memory?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Open each app in Manage Applications and select Clear Cache if its lit up. Then reboot. In Manage Applications, check the size of each app and make sure nothing is abnormally large. If so, clear the data.

I understand the tower couldn't, but if our basband sucks or just the phone struggles with it from being bogged down with crap. you know how a windows computer flys when new but 2years later it takes 10mins to boot up?

how to I check facebook and twitter cash and memory?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)