1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

3g randomly turning off, help

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by chrisCRISIS, Feb 24, 2010.

1. chrisCRISIS

chrisCRISIS New Member

i've been rooted since the day root became available, tried out a few roms, where always buggy so i basically just stuck with stock 2.0.1 with 2.1 apks without any problems. then overclocking came out and i installed the custom boot images for 900mhz. worked great. then all of the sudden my 3g would randomly shut off and it would require a reboot to get the network back up. when droidmod 1.0 came out i installed that and it runs beautifully but now my 3g is randomly shutting off more than ever. atleast 6-10 times a day. anyone have this problem? any suggestions on how to fix it? it's getting really annoying. thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

It may not have anything to do with the root at all. I had a problem with no 3G and no service for 4 days. I don't know what the problem was but I called Verizon and explained what was going on. They wrote up a ticket and it was suppose to be fixed in 48 hours. 48 hours took 96 hours but they did fix the issue.

Are you having this problem everywhere or just in one area?
  3. chrisCRISIS

chrisCRISIS New Member

everywhere, i live about 30 minutes away from where i work and i get the same problem at my house, at my job, to and from my job. when i boot up the 3g will stay on for a couple of minutes and then just go back out again. also having extremely bad battery life, don't think there's a connection but that's equally as annoying.

Edit: grammar
  4. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I had the same problem with an older sholes rom (I guess it's called DroidMod, now), so I stopped using it. Try a different rom and see if you have better results. I'm currently using Bugless Beast 0.7.6 and have no problems.
  5. chrisCRISIS

chrisCRISIS New Member

the thing is that it was happening when i had no rom at all installed.
  6. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

First you said it was just fine with no rom - which one is it?

Custom kernel is effectively the same thing as a rom - a rom just includes some app changes, various tweaks, and perhaps a theme IN ADDITION to the custom kernel. Things like the radio are only going to be affected by kernel changes.

Like I said - try a different one (rom - but if you want to try just the kernel, feel free. They are a little harder to find information about stability, though)
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  7. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER New Member

My 3G has been real flakey for the last 2 weeks... I think its Verizon, not my mods...
  8. voydas

voydas New Member

Sounds like a Verizon issue
  9. jozhua

jozhua New Member

When you say 3g turning off, do you mean you're losing data completely or you're just getting downgraded to 1x?
  10. ips

ips New Member

Ive been loosing 3g randomly and going down to 1x without root on sholes 2.05, 2.06 and droidmod 1.0... and BB. I think VZW is just having issues over the past few weeks as my dad has been loosing 3g on his BB storm in a completely different state. Weird thing is Im barley seeing any decrease in speed when it goes to 1x.
  11. BIG TEX

BIG TEX New Member

I've been having the same problem too. As I sit here typing it is switching from full 3g to no signal to 1x randomly. I reckon its a vzw issue.
  12. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo New Member

I see the same issue from time to time. Yesterday it went into 1x, after 30 minutes it still wouldn't revert back to 3g, so I put it in airplane mode, then turned AM off and it fixed itself.
  13. chrisCRISIS

chrisCRISIS New Member

mine won't even say 1x, the 3g/1x icon disappear completely and the only thing i can do at that point is text and phone calls. i switched to BB 1.1 with the chevy 1.2 kernel last night and the problem still persists. 3g has been up for a couple of hours now, but i did d/l the t3hsteve and adamz kernels just in case to give them a try if it continues to happen today. i guess i'll also try giving verizon a call and see if it's a known issue with them.
  14. zzpianoman

zzpianoman New Member

The way that Verizon authenticates 3G is different than the way it authenticates 1x. In order to connect to the 3G network, they use what is called a DMU key, which is basically a small file that resides on the radio portion of the phone that contains an authentication string.

I first learned about this with my old Palm Treo 700p after I completely erased the nonvolatile RAM in the CDMA radio and subsequently lost the DMU key. I was able to connect via 1x, but not 3G. Eventually using a special serial cable that I built myself, as well as some programming software I found on the internet, I was able to upload the DMU key back to the phone, thus restoring the 3G connection.

Now i'm not sure where this file is located on the Droid - on the Treo is was in a section of RAM that was completely independent of the PDA portion of the phone, so it was never affected by any of the system files (And custom ROMs were impossible for the Treo 700p anyway).

This may not even have anything to do with what is causing the Droid to randomly drop the 3G connection, but knowing that verizon uses two different authentication methods for 3G and 1x might shed some light on the issue.
  15. tyesko

tyesko New Member

Mine does it too. Very annoying! But to save having to do a reboot...just toggle airplane mode off/on. It will then reestablish 3g.
  16. Shadowkast

Shadowkast New Member

are you using the Adfree app from the market place?
Search tags for this page
3g keeps turning on and off
3g shuts off
my 3g is turning off on my android verizon
my 3g keeps shuting off why
my 3g keeps turning off htc
samsung 3g phone keeps turning on and off
why does 3g keep shutting off
why does my 3g keep shutting off
why does my 3g keep shutting off on android

why does my 3g keep turning off

why does my 3g keep turning off 4s