3G now or wait for 4G

Maxtrist

Reaction score
Hello All,
My first time post here on this site but a frequent visitor within last few months. I have been with T-Mobil for a long time but thinking seriously about a switch to Verizon. My current phone is the Blackberry Curve 8900 (for the past two years) and can’t wait to put my hands on Droid X. Have an older network (RIM) which is not efficient with 200 Meg download on my plan which is sufficient for me at this time.
Two questions; I know that 4G will be the standard within a year or two but should I upgrade to 3G now which is widely available or wait longer for 4G (phones). I do live in 4G area but I am not sure if I want to wait another 6 months for 4G phones and probably a limited coverage to start with. Also to Verizon customers; how is your experience regarding their Customer service? Your input is greatly appreciated.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forums!! glad you came aboard - just stick around and join in the fun!

coming from a BB, personally, i think a DX will blow you away! that being said, the 4G phones, including the dual cores, are not that far off. fwiw, i would hold out. i think we are going to be seeing exponential advancements in the phone tech in the coming months.

whatever your choice (DX or wait), you can't go too wrong. :)

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
welcome to the forum. I agree, wait it out if u can. dual processors on the new phones with the 4G has definitely got eyes popping. as far as customer svc, u know its as good as any other carrier. u will have ups and downs with the phones and vzw reps. I see one tech at a store near my job, and he's fantastic. if u can find a vzw rep/tech that is personable like mine, please do switch.
hope u do, but in the meantime go check out the stores, play with the phones. worse case if u break it at the store, no harm right? Lol...it wasn't urs. enjoy...

Aloha from Hawaii ... Droid 2 Global

OP
M

Maxtrist

Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you Huskerkate and Hawaiian Princess for your feedback. I guess I'll be waiting for the dual core.

Cheers.

RUSHgsxr

Reaction score
Frankly I don't quite get all the hubub about 4g. I never have a problem with 3g on my phone, its completely unlimited, can stream any video and skip ahead with no problems, can download any song I want in a matter of seconds, and do anything else I could possibly want. Why would I wanna pay way more and have a limit on my data??? Just my 2 cents...

Sent from my ADR6300

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'd suggest waiting -- a one-year contract on a 3G phone only costs $70 more than a 2-year contract for the phone itself and in a year you'll have a much better idea about 4G than you do now.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Welcome to the forum. As far as VZW customer service goes I've never had any problems with them. The times I've called, they were nice and helpful. But honestly, if I have a problem, I come to this forum for answers.

eNomineZerum

Reaction score
Maxtrist,

Like said either will be a huge upgrade. As said 3g is liveable and can stream basic Youtube Video and music with little problem. 4g, however, will be like the change between dial-up to broadband. You will be hard pressed to max out the bandwith offered. Remeber that 4g phones are backwards compatible with 3g. If you really are feeling the itch, get a used android phone online and activate it for $35 on a month by month contract. You can get a feel for VZW and Androidnat the same time with little commitment. I personally am going to wait a few months to see how VZW handles the 4g deal before I dive in.

Thanks for joining, looks like I'm not too new anymore.

By the name of Zero

djembeman

Reaction score
Been thinking the same thing.

I just wish the 4G phones were already out. I'm eligible for my upgrade now. I love my moto Droid, and think I'd like the Droid 2, but I'll kick myself in a couple months if I upgrade now. It's just time to be patient.