3G Not Working

Capt.D

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It won't even make the connection with *228...just hangs up so there is noway it will hurt anything....as far as setting the prl I think it may stop the ability to surf and talk at the same time on 3g.

kparks

Reaction score
So I'm driving along using Google maps have no idea where I'm at then my phone dies so plugged in it re boot to no data drive around a lil could not get any data anywhere. So I'm lost call the warranty number on the phone she said do a factory reset so I was pissed just got done putting all the app and doing my home pages and now I got to reset everything.. so I did it and problem solved and I was 40 min late to where I was going.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

ThunderBoltHTC

Reaction score
Viable Solution

Over on XDA someone reported back that this worked for them:

I rooted my T.bolt, and lost data. I'm in a 3G area, no 4G.

So called Verizon and they had me dial ##778.
-Click edit
-type 000000
-Then under modem settings
-I changed Rev. A to "enable" rather than EPST
-Then rebooted the phone, and data worked again!?!

I just had my two friends with Thunderbolts try this and it worked! Just remember after you change Rev A to enable to hit the menu button and then commit the changes. This is so much better then telling them to hard reset.

I had this same problem and the solution above fixed it for me. Made an account on 'ere just to give it my endorsement. :icon_ banana:

vzwtek

Reaction score
If you do yoyr hard resets with this issue, it wil be resolved, it was an initial provisioning related issue. It has since been resolved, but to fix issue, you still hve to hard reset to reprovision.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

borq646

Reaction score
I had the issue. I did the change Rev A. to enable thing. Then about 2 weeks ago I changed it back. Haven't had a problem since. Never did a hard reset.

DroidStang

Reaction score
As Verizon says *228 does not work on the Thunderbolt....then I tried this...
Ok Thought was a victim finally of the 1X only, 3G dropping....came to work today, always have 3G in building, 5 guys sitting around me, all 3G, me 1X suffering, so I do the toggle mobile network button, still 1X, then I did the ##778# password 000000, edit modem, Rev A to enable, still 1 X, so hell with it, pulled battery, 1X still, brokedown call Verizon, I do Blackberry support for living so was not wanting to make that call, but I did, I knew it....factory reset, still 1 X, then she says, when you walk outside building, tell me how does...your kidding right, I next to a window on 2nd floor...Ok I'll go outside, soon as I walk out door, 3 G, so I walk a mile outside..3G, so I do the ##778# and come in building...been 3 G for hours.....I never should have done that factory reset, hassle setting everything up, but I learn...there answer was the thunderbolt cause is a 4 G phone may have issues when it looks for 4G and there is none in area and defaults indoor to 1X...oh well hope this helps someone, just cause everyone else around has 3 G does not mean I was getting, I am now.

shadeogray

Reaction score
Radio

Toggle the radio on and off a couple times. should fix everything.

Reaction score
Just a thought

First I would like to say that *228 does not work on this phone as I'm sure some of you may have noticed. Unfortunately, not even the "Trained" folks at Verizon know it.

There was even a post earlier somewhere saying that some Verizon tech said *228 actually kills the sim card! lol! Somebody shoot that Verizon idiot.

*228 doesn't work on this phone because it is somewhat of a CDMA/GSM hybrid. The sim card does all that *228 does automatically so you don't have to fret with it and shouldn't have to worry about the Verizon towers not knowing where your phone is (which is what *228 does).

The understanding is, just like true GSM phones, when you purchase a phone from a GSM carrier, you buy the phone and activate the sim card, not buy the sim card and activate the phone. The only difference here is that this sim card is *228 on card which just tells the phone what signal to look for, lucky for us, we get the best of both worlds!

CDMA+LTE (our version of HSPA+ I suppose).

As for the loss of 3G data, I too had this problem. After some trial and error (and a new phone replacement) I was able to replicate this issue. I was able to conclude that because the antenna is tied into the battery cover itself, removing will give you spotty 3G. For some, when removing the cover, you get a short burst of 3G, a minute or two then BAM, no 3G (surprisingly, not really affecting the Voice signal at all if much).

Resetting the radio and/or turning on or off the 3G/4G radios or a master reset only worked "Sometimes"...

So the last time I had the issue I removed the battery cover, let it sit about 15-20 mins, yanked the battery and let it sit for about 1-2 mins, put the battery back in and booted up the phone, waited until I was all the way back into the operating system and everything was settled, pop the battery door back on and damn near immediately the the 3G signal was up and running.

Ever since then, if I remove the battery door 3G signal is gone within a minute or two (and this is with 3 bars). Pop it back in and viola! 3*******G!

Try it out, hopefully each phone doesn't vary with some crazy ass quirk and this will work for the majority of you guys...

-Surge

[EDIT] If for some reason your 3G doesn't pop up after doing this, just reboot the phone and it will come up! Hope I helped someones 3G headache...

rockula

Reaction score
So the last time I had the issue I removed the battery cover, let it sit about 15-20 mins, yanked the battery and let it sit for about 1-2 mins, put the battery back in and booted up the phone, waited until I was all the way back into the operating system and everything was settled, pop the battery door back on and damn near immediately the the 3G signal was up and running.

Ever since then, if I remove the battery door 3G signal is gone within a minute or two (and this is with 3 bars). Pop it back in and viola! 3*******G!

Try it out, hopefully each phone doesn't vary with some crazy ass quirk and this will work for the majority of you guys...

I've had this problem intermittantly from day one. I initially called VZW and did a Hard Reset over the phone, and it worked for quite some time. I then went to the VZW store to buy an extended life battery, and they asked to check my phone out... and verified it was all good to go and should avoid the common data/network malfunction they are having. Apparently this phone is having problems with VZW's network, and does some internal switching as it passes thru different networks. This causes a problem and the phone ends up essentially in limbo, with NO data connection. That's the way I understand it.

So, it's either the network, or this particular phone, or both. Hopefully they will fix it.

After being told "I wouldn't have a problem anymore", I've had the problem numerous times! I've done the different ##577# or whatever programming which worked, but only for a while.

I decided to try Surge's thing and found that it does in fact work. Data has been restored! Hoewever, would a simple battery pull or turning the phone off and on have done the same thing? I don't know. Is there a relationship between this problem and the battery cover/antenna? Hard to say. Maybe there is. But I almost guarantee this will happen again, and I will end up enraged... yet again.

Next time it happens, I'm calling VZW and pitching a fit.

j

DroidStang

Reaction score
After this LTE outage and fact that at times, inside my building, I have to walk outside for 3 g, while my cube mate has 3 g and my blackberry has 3g the TB has 1 x , walk outside and bang, 3g. So when this outage happened yesterday, and had to do the rev A to get 3g, I know now the 3g the TB uses is unique, and why we can tether, talk, surf web, and so on.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

mainarja

Reaction score
well I've noticed that I don't get as strong a signal with my TB as I did with my BB Curve 8300. Perhaps that is a contributing factor...? Has anyone else noticed this?