3G mobile hotspot

NocturnalEMT

Reaction score
So, I am aware that it will cost me $20/mth to activate this service...and what im reading is that it covers 2GB/mth. What I am wanting to do it use my droid as a hotspot for my xbox 360 to connect to xbox live. Something tells me 2GB just wont get the job done here. Anu suggestions

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

mewshi

Reaction score
If you have a rooted D2, you can install a separate wireless tethering app that I'm told DOES work with XBox... if it doesn't... well... that topic is apparently verboten.

nickb1

Reaction score
So, I am aware that it will cost me $20/mth to activate this service...and what im reading is that it covers 2GB/mth. What I am wanting to do it use my droid as a hotspot for my xbox 360 to connect to xbox live. Something tells me 2GB just wont get the job done here. Anu suggestions

Wireless tether works with xbox. Its free and no cap on GBs.

OP
N

NocturnalEMT

Reaction score
And how in the hell do I accomplish this?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can download z4root in the Market, and once that's done, you download Wireless Tether, also available in the Market.

However, if you're only gaming, 2GB's actually is sufficient for mild gaming. I noticed that one round on CoD: MW2 is only about 3-4 MB's (down+up).

mewshi

Reaction score
You need to root your phone. There are a ton of threads in the "hacks" section on how to do this.

Then, just install the wireless tether app (someone here can link it if you can't find it) and start it up!

Just be sure you know what you're getting into with rooting.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1! And BE CAREFUL with how much data you're using! If it gets high enough, Big Red will know you're up to something (usually tethering) and can/will charge you out the Yin Yang and may also terminate your service (still charging you the ETF).

You need to root your phone. There are a ton of threads in the "hacks" section on how to do this.

Then, just install the wireless tether app (someone here can link it if you can't find it) and start it up!

Just be sure you know what you're getting into with rooting.

DroidForums junkie!

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I read a post on another forum a few days back saying they 65GB's last month, and haven't heard anything about it.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
65GBs is just ridiculous! You MAY get away with it but, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Just my .02

I read a post on another forum a few days back saying they 65GB's last month, and haven't heard anything about it.

DroidForums junkie!

OP
N

NocturnalEMT

Reaction score
Hahahahaha!!!! Big red, that's frickin awesome. Well looks like someone, me, has some research to do.

OSX2000

Reaction score
Bah, as far as big red is concerned, any usage of Wireless Tether for Root Users is the same as browsing the net and downloading big sh*t on the phone. This morning, while waiting for my flight out of Oakland Airport, I opted to tether to get my laptop online, rather than use the airport's free wifi, simply because I didn't want to deal with the "Oakland International Airport" banner frame that gets added to any site I visit.

65GB...definitely quite ridiculous...but an average amount of Xbox gaming won't come anywhere near close to that.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Rooting violates your warranty. Tethering violates your TOS. 3G introduces tremendous lag into your gaming, which annoys other players and degrades your gaming experience.

Proceed with caution. This IS a $500/$600 device you're playing with. :)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1

Rooting violates your warranty. Tethering violates your TOS. 3G introduces tremendous lag into your gaming, which annoys other players and degrades your gaming experience.

Proceed with caution. This IS a $500/$600 device you're playing with. :)

DroidForums junkie!