3G Mobile Hotspot questions

Frankiedes117

Reaction score
Hey guys, First time poster here :)

Just a quick question of the bat. With the 3G Mobile Hotspot it's a 20$ a month charge... Now my question is, If I do not sign up for the service at the store, I can still activate the Hotspot... Now the girl at verizon told me that I can use it and I'll only be charged for the days that I do... That doesnt seam right to me.. If that is the case then why would anyone pay the full 20 a month if they can pay just partial charges..

Now im thinking that its probably more exp. to "pay as you use"
Or does it just go of the 2gig cap and say u only use 1gig that month u get charged 10$ but if you use the full 2gigs you get charged the 20$??

Any information would be helpful, and thank you in advanced for your replies

Gibbsinator

Reaction score
Have you tried PDAnet or Easy Tether? both are FREE apps that use your 3g connection to give your PC internet via tethering through USB.

Did I mention free?

OP
F

Frankiedes117

Reaction score
Yes sir, I Actually use PDANeT. I was just simply wondering about a wireless option...
I know its not really that big of a deal to be physically tethered, and I do know there is an app for the Droid 1 w/ root for free wireless tether.
I'm just trying to figure out how verizon's plan with that worked.
Only downfall about being Physically tethered with the usb is that sometimes if I'm traveling It would be nice to have my laptop on my lap and my phone in my pocket. extra wires makes it a little cumbersome...

Maybe i should just stick some velcro on the back of my phone and on the back of the screen on my laptop so I wont have to hold both haha :)

kevroc

Reaction score
The girl at the store sounds like she doesn't know what she's talking about...nothing new there.

It's $20/month for 2GB, you can add it whenever you want and remove it whenever you want, just like any other calling feature. You have to call their 800 number to do it however, would be nice if you could just do it online.

I don't know if you can do partial months, probably could as they do pro-rate other services, not sure though.

harv2000

Reaction score
I don't know that pay as you go is even an option on this, but even if it was, the Verizon pay as you go data plan is ridiculously expensive at something like $15/day, so if you think you might want it for more than 1 day, you are better off going ahead and paying the monthly plan.

kevroc

Reaction score
For $20/month I'd rather do the 3G hotspot, how it functions as an access point versus ad-hoc network is great.

belome

Reaction score
Yeah, but its $20 for 2 gig. If you go over 2 gig its $50 a gig. That to me is just absurd.

cdd543

Reaction score
It honestly doesn't work very well and seems to have the same disconnection issue as the X. I disabled my mifi and used it on my droid 2 for the last 5 days and it wasn't a good experience. Speeds are ok when it works, but it times out and has to be restarted from the app every few minutes.

ryanb27

Reaction score
3G Hotspot

Alright, so I have searched and searched on this question. I just purchased a Droid 2 and I was actually told by the Verizon Rep that I can share the 3G connection with another device such as a laptop. I know typically Verizon would charge an additional $20 a month. He told me that there is an app on the Android market that allows me to use the "tethering" function without paying the additional expense. He did say that he believed it costs a one time fee of $40. Could anyone shed light on this because throughout my research on this I have had mixed answers.

xandor

Reaction score
Look for PDANet. You have to connect via USB, but it works great! It's free if you don't go to secure websites a lot.

belome

Reaction score
I was actually told by the Verizon Rep ... there is an app on the Android market that allows me to use the "tethering" function

Wow, I bet that Verizon rep would lose his job if Verizon knew he was saying that to customers. Essentially, you are 'stealing' from Verizon by doing that.