3g mobile hot spot from Verizon question

metawarlord

Reaction score
I read on another post that if you put your phone in airplane mode for a few minutes then turn it off and start the mobile hot spot it worked for free... is the true? Or possible? I tried it, but when I tried to use the internet on my itouch it came up with a page telling me the charges for how much I would use and wanted me to agree to the terms and conditions... if it is possible to get this app to work without charges and with out having to run a rom will someone please let me know. It would be great to know.

Thanks
Metawarlord

Sent from my rooted DROIDX using DroidForums App

CD95YJ

Reaction score
TeamBlackHat has a hack to get it to run free of charges, I'm not sure if you need to be rooted or not. You could just download z4root to your phone, root it, then download wireless tether for root users and achieve the same effect. You don't need a custom rom or anything for it to work too, so basically you'd be completely stock except for root.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
metawarlord

metawarlord

Reaction score
Oh ok. I have the wifi tether app and am rooted. Just wanted to see if it could get faster internets on other things. Thanks for your response!

Metawarlord

jcolt

Reaction score
+1 for the Team Black Hat Hack. This works great and much better the wireless tether. Also no need to run a custom rom, but you do need to be rooted.

OP
metawarlord

metawarlord

Reaction score
Well I am rooted. Where can I find this team black hat hack?

jcolt

Reaction score
Well I am rooted. Where can I find this team black hat hack?

Meta -

Go to the market and download team black hat app. It is a couple of bucks but worth it. Once downloaded open the app. Scroll down and it is the 3rd download from the bottom - called 3g hot spot patcher. There are two in the app so get this one as it is permant. Dowload the zip, place on the root of your sd card, reboot into recovery, select instal zip from sd card, select the download and your done. Reboot the phone and go to the 3g hotspot app which came preinstalled turn it on and it works like any other ssid ( name ur network and add security if u want to). If you ever want to remove this the 3g hotspot unpatcher zip can be downloaded from team black hat and follow the same steps as install. Let me knowhow u make out. This should work much better than wireless tether.

jchildress

Reaction score
Now you have me curious.. I use my X alot for internet, either using wireless tether app or EasyTether wired to USB. Will using the black hat app actually work better, ie faster connection?

Droid X, rooted, Liberty RoM 1.0

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Won't be any faster because its still dependant on your 3G signal.

Now you have me curious.. I use my X alot for internet, either using wireless tether app or EasyTether wired to USB. Will using the black hat app actually work better, ie faster connection?

DroidForums Junkie!!

jcolt

Reaction score

I agree that the connection will not be faster, however, this uses an ssid Vs an ad hoc connection. My wife has an iPad (I know) and with wifi tether we had a hard time getting connected with security so we had to leave it unsecured which was a problem in public places. Plus android will not recognize ad hoc so when I get a new android tablet it would not be able to tether through wiifi tether. Thus while it is not faster I find it easier to connect and use security.

Now to address the speed issue you can download a 3G throttle hack which will increase your 3G bandwidth when you have a strong signal. This will make your connection faster both for the team black hat hack and wireless tether.

pmurray633

Reaction score
So, if I use the Wireless Tether for Rooted Users, I am good to go? I am rooted and all the good stuff, I activated the 3G hotspot the other day on the way home from the gym, so I can go and turn that off. Am I going to get crazy charges?

jcolt

Reaction score
Yes u can use wireless tether for root or use the team black hat hack to tether.

Borntodroid

Reaction score
No need to root. Turn on 3g hotspot, then go into settings, data manager, data delivery, toggle off, wait about ten seconds, and then toggle back on, and 3g hotspot service will work.

want a droid

Reaction score
Or you could install the zip then go to the hotspot app and turn it on and off as you please. 100% of the time it works everytime.

Thunder_sl

Reaction score
I agree that the connection will not be faster, however, this uses an ssid Vs an ad hoc connection. My wife has an iPad (I know) and with wifi tether we had a hard time getting connected with security so we had to leave it unsecured which was a problem in public places. Plus android will not recognize ad hoc so when I get a new android tablet it would not be able to tether through wiifi tether. Thus while it is not faster I find it easier to connect and use security.

This is no longer a issue as Wifi Teather no longer uses AD Hoc. Anyone who is nervous or doesn't want to flash can have the same functionality as the 3g hot spot app. Using wifi teather might be a better option for those just starting out until they gain more experience. This is where I got my info:[How To] Install 3gHotSpot

jcolt

Reaction score

This is no longer a issue as Wifi Teather no longer uses AD Hoc. Anyone who is nervous or doesn't want to flash can have the same functionality as the 3g hot spot app. Using wifi teather might be a better option for those just starting out until they gain more experience. This is where I got my info:[How To] Install 3gHotSpot

Thanks for the heads up I did not know wifi tether was now infrastructure - appreciate the help. I hear you as well on flashing as some might not want to go that route.