3G Icon

uga81

Reaction score
I just got the Incredible today and the 3G icon at the top of the screen flashes on and off at random times. Why is this? The verizon lady told me thats what it does and it does not mean 3G isn't always on. Is that true? Thanks.

schwazilla

Reaction score
Hi, I had this same question and I think I found an answer on another form. Word is that a rep from HTC has said it is a power saving move. You'll notice that both the 3G and reception bars remain pretty low and then when making a call or using 3G they turn on or increase.

Not sure if that is true or not, but it kinda makes sense.

Threepio

Reaction score
The 3G signal only comes on when it needs to. Saves battery.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I find that explanation pretty "Incredible" myself.

My Droid is switching right now from 3G to 1x. Its not to save battery, its because I'm sitting in a spot in my house that doesn't get great reception.

I think it sounds like somebody is selling something to you. If I'm wrong show me a thread on the web from a reliable source.

schwazilla

Reaction score
incredibleforum.com/forum/htc-incredible-general-discussion/649-3g-signal-strength-not-error-after-all.html

This is the link that I found. Like I siad I don't know if its true. But I have noticed the same thing happening

robwilson

Reaction score
Mine does that same thing, the 3G symbol is dark as I type this now. But I have 3 bars!

Capt.D

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
switching to 1x is not the same but it does gray out when not needed..It saves battery by not always using 3g.

Bigg 27

Reaction score
Have a quick question: Does anyone know of an app where you can have a 3G icon on the home screen. Not one that checks my usage but one that just tells me if I am connected to 3G.

I work in a pit of an office where I lose 3G on a constant basis and I have my notification bar hidden.

Anyone? Thanks.