3g getting slower and slower, yet we pay the same...

iNfAMOUS702

Reaction score
I live in a town where alot of ppl just can't afford VZW...I ran a speed test nd got 3.4 mbps...pretty fast

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Wug I dont think there is a throttle modded services.jar for the D2G

TheSavageSquid says his Nitriscript throttle hack will work for it, but the script was made for the droid 2. Since the global and the 2 have totally different radios, among other things, I have a hard time wanting to try it out. Just look at all the problems that team Get-R-Done is having to make a D2 ROM run correctly for the global...

I just LOVE how throttling is a part of every verizon phone, built right down into the core software.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
lol i am about to just throw my phone out the window...
-3g speeds are so bad i cant download apps... (everyone that lives near me has a F****** iphone)
-3g looses connection all the time. (because cm7)
-wifi barely work on my phone & never has.. ( wireless n router @ 5ghz)

none of this was a problem a few months ago before the iphone...

Try setting your router to g mode. Most phones have a hard time working with n-band routers.

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Oh I know... I use my wireless n for connecting several devices on my network 2 computers & 2 tv's which pretty much require 300mbps, Or else 1080p is laggy.

Id hate to sacrafice everyother device just to get wifi working on my phone haha

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Crazy,,,,Just ran several tests with 3 different servers. Averaged about 200kbps down and 500kbps up. I used to do about 700kbps down on average. Ran like 8 tests and I don't think a single one hit 300 down. Another 9 tests averaged 400 down with a best of 550.

I'm not being throttled. I've been on wifi most of the last two months and have used less than half a gig of data total (I've hit over 1 gig maybe once in the year I've had my phone).

I am running Liquid GB 1.3. Wonder if that has something to do with it (and, yes, I have updated towers). Is there a new baseband out by any chance?

Anyway, I hope this persists. I will complain relentlessly until they offer me an early upgrade to LTE.

Last edited:

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Wug I dont think there is a throttle modded services.jar for the D2G

TheSavageSquid says his Nitriscript throttle hack will work for it, but the script was made for the droid 2. Since the global and the 2 have totally different radios, among other things, I have a hard time wanting to try it out. Just look at all the problems that team Get-R-Done is having to make a D2 ROM run correctly for the global...

I just LOVE how throttling is a part of every verizon phone, built right down into the core software.

Oh, sorry... I have blinders on, I have a DX so I have a hard time seeing the big picture. I forget that every mod available for my device isn't applicable to the rest. Well... that sucks for those who can't do anything about being throttled... the whole reason I switched from AT&T to Verizon was to get better service, I would be really pissed if I kept getting a throttled connection, I guess we are getting bullied to hop on the 4G band wagon.

{{ WugFresh }}

kptphalkon

Reaction score
No hard feelings :D but yes it does suck. I think a 5 GB cap as a 10 dollar minimum would be acceptable...not these crazy **** prices

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Thanks :) Unfortunately for you, Verizon is well aware of their market share and I don't think they give a **** if a few customers get pissed off. Free market and perfect competition principles simply don't apply to companies as massive as Verizon... I mean, who else is a viable competitor? AT&T? Lol.

{{ WugFresh }}

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks :) Unfortunately for you, Verizon is well aware of their market share and I don't think they give a **** if a few customers get pissed off. Free market and perfect competition principles simply don't apply to companies as massive as Verizon... I mean, who else is a viable competitor? AT&T? Lol.

Most people (the 90% or so with little to no travel) have at least one other good option where they live.

This is the tricky part of all this. They know they'll lose some customers, and that's fine. But when you factor in that the average customer is $100 a month (voice + data), there's not much margin for error when you try to squeeze even just $10 more out of us. You'd have to sign-up 10 people to the more expensive plan for every one you lose just to break even.

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Yea your logic is spot on, but I'm saying Verizon has so many customers that they literally don't care if they lose one and they are not replaced. Why do you think they have dropped every good policy they have; no more 30 day trials, no more 2 year upgrades, no more unlimited data without being throttled... Verizon literally doesn't have any nice benefits for users, their platform is just, "we're Verizon **** we rule the air!" Lol. They are so far in the green that all they care about is maintaining their market share (relatively)... if they lose customers, it doesn't mean much to them. If any other company had a comparable amount of tower infrastructure I would switch... but they don't.

{{ WugFresh }}

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
...they have dropped every good policy they have; no more 30 day trials, no more 2 year upgrades, no more unlimited data without being throttled...

The first two are pretty trivial ($70 over 2 years?!?, lol). The third, only Sprint offers unlimited and unthrottled(?) data, and they are also the worst of the major players.

It's really hard to say how much more expensive VZW has been, but for me it's maybe $5 a month. And we have seen them offer a variety of promotions and change some pricing to be more competitive.

I just don't see the evidence that VZW has really gouged its customers. They might hit us with an extra $50-$100 for an LTE phone, but LTE is supposedly 50% faster than Sprint 4G and 2-3x faster than HSUPA+. My gut feeling is the market will be pretty price sensitive. All else equal we'll choose the faster LTE, but I'd be surprised if VZW can get much more than $5 out of it because the other speeds are still very good. 3mbps, in my experience, is more than adequate for browsing with more speed mattering mostly for video, so if you're capped or throttled the extra speed really has little value to you.

Last edited:

ypsichick

Reaction score
Western KY and W. Los Angeles 3 miles from the bea
I'm getting dropped left & right lately, drawing blank screens, not available try again. I pay 30 for unlitited data, that is where I think they gouge, the data! At least show me a 3g right now, instead on 1 bar wtfrig is this?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I'm hoping LTE isn't to much more money, I would like faster internet, it would restore my happiness with VZN. I don't think they have gouged their customers, they just aren't trying as hard because at this point they don't have to. And I hate throttling! I don't care that everyone does it, that just means everyone is screwing us. Hopefully LTE will be so fast it won't matter.

{{ WugFresh }}

jrmdroid

Reaction score
Oh I know... I use my wireless n for connecting several devices on my network 2 computers & 2 tv's which pretty much require 300mbps, Or else 1080p is laggy.

Id hate to sacrafice everyother device just to get wifi working on my phone haha

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Do you have 'g' router you can turn up and use for your phone? Connent the 'g' router to the 'n' router and give it a IP address. From there try connecting your phone to that router. Might do the trick and you do not have to mess with your other devices.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
And I hate throttling! I don't care that everyone does it, that just means everyone is screwing us. Hopefully LTE will be so fast it won't matter.

With unlimited LTE people will drop home broadband (that's been my dream!). And VZW will happily take that extra $50 I spend on home broadband. Problem is when I do that, my usage goes from 2 gigs a month to 30gigs. If a lot of people do that, there are only so many towers they can put up (rights/licenses is the issue, not cost) before capacity/service becomes an issue.

The reality is 1 HD Netflix movie streamed over my PS3 is about 3 gigs. So 4 movies a month and several hours of slingbox action....do the math. Or let's really game the system and drop cable tv....Now I'm doing over 100gigs a month.

Last edited: