1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

3g getting slower and slower, yet we pay the same...

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Detonation, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Detonation

Detonation New Member

When I got my OG Droid at launch, I was pulling down 3g speeds of at least 1.0Mbps, if not closer to 1.5Mbps. Now I am struggling to even get .5Mbps. I know its not my signal, because I live in a downtown area and can see the tower in the distance (about 3 miles away).

Does anyone else think it's BS that Verizon continues to charge the same for their data plan, yet its getting slower and slower? I realize LTE will take care of this, but I shouldn't have to upgrade/pay to get acceptable speeds when I was getting them before at the same contracted price.
  2. tonydelite

tonydelite New Member

I did a speed test last night and I got a little over 1Mbps. That's pretty normal for me.
  3. *22899

*22899 Premium Member Premium Member

Yea not sure, might be some other issue for you there. I'm up in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin and just check. Im still rocking just under 1.5.

I've heard the signal is like getting a beer at a bar. If your some place with 1 bartender and 4 people service is fast and speedy, if your at a bar with 2 bartenders and 100 people service sucks. I'm guessing if your near milwaukee that the service has slowed with the addition of the iphone.
  4. ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen New Member

I live in a medium populated area and get 700ish kb/s. I really do think the area your in has to do with it, especially how many people weigh down the network in the area. Maybe yours just got more Vz customers overtime?
  5. kptphalkon

kptphalkon New Member

I live at the tail end/beginning of Parma and North Royalton in Ohio....I used to live in Lakewood.

This parma/n. royalton area has a smaller pop. density and below average reception coverage, I'm lucky to get between .6 and .8 mbps. I understand the signal quality has a lot to play for, but my dBm averages -80. Not too bad

Lakewood is small, overcrowded, and surrounded by cleveland and cleveland suburbs, yet on a typical day I can see anything from 1.4 to 2.3 mbps.
  6. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

I never get close to 1mbs
  7. jeffv2

jeffv2 Developer Developer

I was getting about 2-3 mbps before feburary 12th... now I get about .3 mbps. I'm going to say its because the massive amount of iphone users.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  8. ilikemoneygreen

Id take 1.4mbs .... Im definitely be jealous over that.
  9. sirdroid

sirdroid New Member

I agree with you 100%. It's getting quite frustrating using internet on the phone and I am paying $60 on a family plan.
  10. ilikemoneygreen

Wow dude, that would be lots of iphones. Your phone ok? .3 is like barely even a connection. I dont think i could do much with that.
  11. kptphalkon

kptphalkon New Member

And how can people even complain or remedy this issue? Throttle hacks give inconsistent results and need to be tailor made for each phone model, and there is never a guarantee given by VZW about your speeds ;)
  12. ilikemoneygreen

Lol, if Vz guaranteed the speeds they would be wrong all the time. Even if they really meant it, it would be so hard to get consistent speeds for a specific customer with so many variables.
  13. TheOldFart

TheOldFart New Member

I just ran speedtest. The default server location is Clifton, NJ. It is about 130 miles away. I got 124 kbps down and 187 up. Then I changed to the server in NYC. It is about 144 miles away. I got 2232 kbps down and 846 up. That is just 2 minutes apart. Try a couple of different server locations and see how much of a difference it makes. I also got slow speeds with the default server a couple of days ago, but did not try any other locations.
  14. jeffv2

lol i am about to just throw my phone out the window...
    -3g speeds are so bad i cant download apps... (everyone that lives near me has a F****** iphone)
    -3g looses connection all the time. (because cm7)
    -wifi barely work on my phone & never has.. ( wireless n router @ 5ghz)

none of this was a problem a few months ago before the iphone...
  15. WugFresh

WugFresh Developer Developer

You guys using no throttle modified services.jar?

{{ WugFresh }}
  16. iNfAMOUS702

iNfAMOUS702 New Member

I live in a town where alot of ppl just can't afford VZW...I ran a speed test nd got 3.4 mbps...pretty fast

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  17. kptphalkon

kptphalkon New Member

Wug I dont think there is a throttle modded services.jar for the D2G

TheSavageSquid says his Nitriscript throttle hack will work for it, but the script was made for the droid 2. Since the global and the 2 have totally different radios, among other things, I have a hard time wanting to try it out. Just look at all the problems that team Get-R-Done is having to make a D2 ROM run correctly for the global...

I just LOVE how throttling is a part of every verizon phone, built right down into the core software.
  18. kptphalkon

kptphalkon New Member

Try setting your router to g mode. Most phones have a hard time working with n-band routers.
  19. jeffv2

Oh I know... I use my wireless n for connecting several devices on my network 2 computers & 2 tv's which pretty much require 300mbps, Or else 1080p is laggy.

Id hate to sacrafice everyother device just to get wifi working on my phone haha

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  20. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Crazy,,,,Just ran several tests with 3 different servers. Averaged about 200kbps down and 500kbps up. I used to do about 700kbps down on average. Ran like 8 tests and I don't think a single one hit 300 down. Another 9 tests averaged 400 down with a best of 550.

I'm not being throttled. I've been on wifi most of the last two months and have used less than half a gig of data total (I've hit over 1 gig maybe once in the year I've had my phone).

I am running Liquid GB 1.3. Wonder if that has something to do with it (and, yes, I have updated towers). Is there a new baseband out by any chance?

Anyway, I hope this persists. I will complain relentlessly until they offer me an early upgrade to LTE.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
Search tags for this page

3g getting slower

3g getting slower and slower
didl get 3g
has 3g got slower
has 3g gotten slower

is 3g getting slower

is three g getting slower
ntc 3g getting slow
verizon 3g service is getting slower
why is at&t 3g speed getting slower