3G gets dropped for no reason

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
does anybody else have this problem you go to use your phone to check your email or something, you unlock it and you realize your 3G data is no longer there? i don't have 4G currently in my town to small. happens to me alot it just drops my data can still make calls but can't go on the internet. i have great coverage in my home town, in fact im usually really close to the tower. turning on airplane mode then turning it back off sometimes helps sometimes i have to turn my phone off then back on and that sometimes helps (but not all ways for either of them) is this the phone or the network cause its sometimes really annoying, i really don't want to call verizon about it cause there just going to send me a "referbished" phone then i have to deal with someone elses problem that they were having with theres and sent it back in and was so called fixed. i was just wondering if its the phone or the software i mean is there going to be an update that could fix it or do i just have to deal with it? thanks

Paul

azdrifter

Reaction score
What radio are you currently on ?
I bought my Bionic with the .893 radio and it never had that problem,now I am on the .901 build and I have never had any problems with data drops.

OP
sharkattack99

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
How do i check that? Thanks

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score

Go to settings, about phone. Also I've had mine for a week and it does the exact same thing as yours does. J live n a 3G area as well with no 4G and yes it drops data usually once or twice a day, airplane or reboot fixes it. Also go download screen grabber from the market. U can do screenshots like the one below without rooting ur phone. Ur Bionics screen should look alot like this.

azdrifter

Reaction score

Go to Settings/About Phone/System version.
It will either be a 5.5.893 or the older 5.5.886 the .886 is where most bionic users were having the dropped data problems i have read a few that had the problem with the .893 build also but I had the .893 when I bought my phone and never had any data issues,..I installed the .901 update manually to try it and my battery life improved but still have had no data drops with this build either.

azdrifter

Reaction score
Go to settings, about phone. Also I've had mine for a week and it does the exact same thing as yours does. J live n a 3G area as well with no 4G and yes it drops data usually once or twice a day, airplane or reboot fixes it. Also go download screen grabber from the market. U can do screenshots like the one below without rooting ur phone. Ur Bionics screen should look alot like this.

Have you tried installing the .901 update to fix that data issue ?

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
Have you tried installing the .901 update to fix that data issue ?

No I haven't and didn't plan on it. Mine is having few issues that I can live with. I had the gnex and it had way worse issues. Any was I'm just afraid I won't be back on the update path is my worry.

OP
sharkattack99

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
I have the .893 version im not rooted and it says my phone is up to date when i try and update it.

azdrifter

Reaction score
Yeah I was worried about that problem of not being on the update path,..but I figured like every other update as soon as the devs get a hold of one it will be available to the masses.
I'm still un-rooted which is a huge accomplishment for me I usually root my phones within the week or like my X2 the hour of being purchased.but I really like the Stock ROm on this phone so I'm content with waiting for the official Ice Cream update to be pushed.

Jelem1880

Reaction score
As of right now there is no fix for this issue other than a reboot of your phone. This problem occurred prior to the official .893 update, and while it was fixed on many bionics after the update it is still an issue for some.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have the .893 version im not rooted and it says my phone is up to date when i try and update it.

When you check for an update, you are pinging the carrier, who checks to see if you're scheduled to receive it. If you are, then you'll get notice that an update is available to download. This means that if you're scheduled to get the update on, say, February 2nd at 3:47am, your phone will say that it's "up to date" until then despite the fact that others on this forum had been getting it since January 23rd.

Now about the .901 update; it only went to a couple dozen people. It was captured. so if you want it install it manually, there are several threads on where to get it and how to install it.

Last edited: