3g droid x to 4g razr maxx

earlybill1

Reaction score
Im still using my droid x till I get my new (ebay ordered) droid razr maxx this Thursday. My question is when I pay them the $10 fee to swap to the maxx will I still have 3g service or will I now be on 4g service ( sorry for dumb question ) . Im still grandfathered in has they say on the unlimited data plan and im available for a upgrade so I went to Verizon to grab me a new razr maxx but the lady said I would lose my unlimited data and have to pay for new data plan!!! I thought that was crazy. So then I asked if there was anyway around this issue and she said more than likely not. Lol so I walked around store while she tried her best to round up some new data plan figures and then that bulb lit up on top of my head and I asked if I was to get same phone on ebay or amazon would I lose my unlimited plan and then she was like....well I guess not lol so is this right will I lose my data plan if I use this phone from eBay? She said it would only be a $10 charge to swap but I forgot to ask if I would now have 4g since the maxx is 4g... so maybe I can her some advice on this issue. Oh and sorry for rambling on but thanks a lot

Psykho

Reaction score
The only easy way to keep unlimited is to pay full retail price for a phone(or get a phone for cheap or free) . If you get a phone at the discounted upgrade price you lose unlimited. There is no 3G or 4G plan a data plan is a data plan.

OP
E

earlybill1

Reaction score
The only easy way to keep unlimited is to pay full retail price for a phone(or get a phone for cheap or free) . If you get a phone at the discounted upgrade price you lose unlimited. There is no 3G or 4G plan a data plan is a data plan.

Yea I got it from ebay a private seller in mint condition but isn't the maxx 4g I just hoping its alot **** ton faster on everything I've heard its just about the nest smartphone on the Mkt anyway thanks foe the advice

devdeuce

Reaction score
When i bought my razr from Amazon, i kept my unlimited data. I don't know the reason for this or if it helps at all, buy i did get to keep unlimited data and it was after they got rid of it.

There is no spoon

Psykho

Reaction score
Yea I got it from ebay a private seller in mint condition but isn't the maxx 4g I just hoping its alot **** ton faster on everything I've heard its just about the nest smartphone on the Mkt anyway thanks foe the advice

The Maxx is 4G but that won't change your plan just allow to enjoy faster download speeds...

Krenzy

Reaction score
The Maxx operates on both 3G and 4G frequencies; it automatically chooses the one around you. 3G speeds are slower in comparison, but 4G, while faster, uses more battery.

grolson

Reaction score
X to RazrMax

I also came from the X to the Max. It is a great phone. I've had my Max since right before the data change, I took my last upgrade before the plan change.

While the battery is excellent, it can get eaten up by the data capabilities of the Max. It still lasts longer than most phones no doubt. Usually significant battery is left at the end of the day, but still needing a charge for the next day.
But, you'll get multiple days if you do a couple of things. Recently I added the Easy Battery Saver app, it works well, but most of the battery apps are good , according to the posts here. Reading about those apps I learned about basically toggling the Data on and off when its not needed, and also turning the screen brightness down.

These are probably the 2 biggest hogs on the battery.

When I'm at work, I'm usually right near my computer so I leave the 3G/4G Data toggled off. Also the battery saver turns most of the extra stuff off between 11:30pm and 6:00am and also using the Smart actions motion detector helps. Between using these couple of techniques, which isn't hard, I've been getting 3 days between charges.

About the only annoying thing about the phone is having to use only Motorola charging cords and devices. Apparently Universal Serial Buss is not entirely universal.

All in all though, it really is a great phone. Hope this helps.
Gary

OP
E

earlybill1

Reaction score
The Maxx operates on both 3G and 4G frequencies; it automatically chooses the one around you. 3G speeds are slower in comparison, but 4G, while faster, uses more battery.

So can I manually choose which (3g or 4g) to keep it on and how would I do that? I just got it today in the mail. I haven't got it hooked up yet, planning on doing it by Friday. This Razr Maxx is the **** ..I love his super thin it is plus I purchased a lot of accessories with it ( just stuff to play with the ) lol

aarong03

Reaction score
So can I manually choose which (3g or 4g) to keep it on and how would I do that? I just got it today in the mail. I haven't got it hooked up yet, planning on doing it by Friday. This Razr Maxx is the **** ..I love his super thin it is plus I purchased a lot of accessories with it ( just stuff to play with the ) lol

You get the app LTE on/off. I have it and I keep my RAZR maxx on 3G all time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

grolson

Reaction score

My thoughts are that I want the data when I want it, so I either have it turned on, or off.
You can toggle between 3g or 4g with an app, but I figure when I want data, I want it as fast as it will come down the pipeline because I'm using it, so for me I don't see the need to change between the 2.
Maybe if I was on the road using a gps if I'm not in a charging dock, I'd say 3g maybe to save battery but it hasn't come up.
Like I said, I really don't need the data to be on unless I want to use it, so thats my approach, it depends on your usage.
Good luck and have fun.:biggrin:

OP
E

earlybill1

Reaction score
Nice ... and very big grin lol thanks can any of y'all look on the new thread I posted to see if y'all can answer any of those questions I did figure out one of them ( how to get online if phone not activated ) and now I know I can use my DX widow to get online with my MAXX but still have a few unanswered questions if y'all could help either thanks

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
Nice ... and very big grin lol thanks can any of y'all look on the new thread I posted to see if y'all can answer any of those questions I did figure out one of them ( how to get online if phone not activated ) and now I know I can use my DX widow to get online with my MAXX but still have a few unanswered questions if y'all could help either thanks

I replied on the other one, hope it helps

We are the Droid!! You will be assimilated!! Resistance is futile!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums