3G and wifi

bakerke2001

Reaction score
Does my Moto Droid need to have 3G service in order to connect to a wifi network?...I cannot get 3G service inside my office and cant seem to connect to the wifi.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, you dont need 3G to connect to WiFi -- that would sort of defeat the purpose of WiFi....

Your network settings must be jacked. What sort of network do you have at work?

OP
B

bakerke2001

Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean by what type of network...2 have no password and the the 3rd one does.

A few of my coworkers can connect to the networks with their ipod touch and I can connect with my laptop but not my droid

Joker

Reaction score
Could there be a MAC address filter in place on the network you are trying to connect to? I would speak with your IT dept or who ever handles your wireless network there at work.

Joker

Reaction score
How would i tell if there is a MAC address filter on the network?

You would need the ability to log into the router and see the settings. Otherwise contacting your works IT or Network support team and ask them. If there is one, you would need to add your Droid's MAC address to the filter list. MAC address located under Settings>About Phone>Status. It is near the bottom. It's a 12 digit sequence where every 2 characters are separated by a colon ":" symbol.

SpykeZ

Reaction score
Just a side note, having wifi enabled can screw with the phones need for a data connection at times, for some dumb reason when I had wifi enabled I couldn't get my picture messages cause it needed the 3g network to do that and having wifi enabled messed something up. It's a common known bug which is annoying

Dudeicus_Maximus

Reaction score
Does my Moto Droid need to have 3G service in order to connect to a wifi network?...I cannot get 3G service inside my office and cant seem to connect to the wifi.

None of the wifi devices in my apartment can connect to our Linksys/Cisco router without having to restart it unless they have static IP's. That includes my laptop, my wife's laptop, and both of our phones. Maybe that can solve your problem?

I'm assuming it's not password protected...

Snoking

Reaction score

None of the wifi devices in my apartment can connect to our Linksys/Cisco router without having to restart it unless they have static IP's. That includes my laptop, my wife's laptop, and both of our phones. Maybe that can solve your problem?

Your apartment building router has to long of an IP address lease time or to small of an IP address range mask. Re-powering the router is dropping all current leases and users machines must get a new lease, and you get on. Talk to the admin of the device. A 255.255.255.128 mask will allow 126 connections, plus the routers address and the broadcast address. A 255.255.255.192 mask allows 62 users. 255.255.255.224 = 30 users, 255.255.255.240 = 14 users, 255.255.255.248 = 6 users. And a 255.255.255.0 mask allows for 254 users.

Lease time might we set for many days or weeks, and all the IP addresses get tied up weither the user is currently using it or not. Have them shorten the lease time to 16 hours.

Chris

Dudeicus_Maximus

Reaction score

Your apartment building router has to long of an IP address lease time or to small of an IP address range mask. Re-powering the router is dropping all current leases and users machines must get a new lease, and you get on. Talk to the admin of the device. A 255.255.255.128 mask will allow 126 connections, plus the routers address and the broadcast address. A 255.255.255.192 mask allows 62 users. 255.255.255.224 = 30 users, 255.255.255.240 = 14 users, 255.255.255.248 = 6 users. And a 255.255.255.0 mask allows for 254 users.

Lease time might we set for many days or weeks, and all the IP addresses get tied up weither the user is currently using it or not. Have them shorten the lease time to 16 hours.

Chris

No... not in my apartment building, in my apartment. Meaning, it's one router for the two of us. We're fine with using static IPs though. It's convenient for port forwarding.

Snoking

Reaction score

Chris

No... not in my apartment building, in my apartment. Meaning, it's one router for the two of us. We're fine with using static IPs though. It's convenient for port forwarding.

OK, then is this router secured with wep or wpa? If not, then your neighbors may be using up the available IP address range! Do the lights on it indicate traffic when you are not using it?

Chris

Dudeicus_Maximus

Reaction score
No it's protected.

...I feel bad hijacking this thread. I'm not worried about my router I was just suggesting a possibility for the OP. But I do appreciate your help. We can continue this conversation via PM if you'd like.

chisholm4

Reaction score
I just posted on another forum as I am having a similar issue but that forum was for the Motorola Milestone but I have a MOTO Droid running Bugless Beast V1.1

The issue began the day I updated to Bugless Beast v1.1, although I can't limit it to Bugless Beast causing the problem. I have tried tweaking my router and adjusted my DD-WRT firmware for my Linksys WRT54G2 router (including the channel, frequency and overclocking) but as before it works but for only for 10 seconds or so then the wireless network still connected the internet stops working making it unable to use any data apps (ex. Browser, Market, WeatherBug ect.) even when its is showing fill/near full 3G coverage and the wi-fi is on. Any ideas, or has anyone else encountered this issue?

I even setup static IP/DNS addresses for the network configuration but that was of no help. If I restart it again it will work for 10 seconds or so, same outcome when changing it to airplane mode with wifi as well.

I would like to note this seemed to happen after I ran the following scripts on Bugless Beast v1.1:
-blockads
-droidboot
-free100mb
-rmcorpcal
-rmmp3

After this issue started I did a Fix Permissions both through Rom Manager and through the Bugless Beast script fixperm. Neither had fixed the issue.

Any recommendations or help would be greatly appreciated!